PDA

View Full Version : Photoreal model-kit (or an attempt, at least)

FenrirWolf
12-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Well, been working on this for the last week or so. I'm calling it finished! The model's kind of old, one I did about nine months or so ago, and probably doesn't look all that hot compared to some of you LW gurus on here. :)

I wanted to try surfacing it again, however, using some global illumination. This picture is the result, and it took about an hour to render on my dual 1600 Athlon XP system. I'm not sure what sort of look I was going for; I think table-top painted plastic model kit, perhaps.

The slight DOF is a bit of fakery done in post-render. I've not messed around with DOF much and I wasn't too sure how to get Lightwave's camera settings right without spending a lot of time tweaking DOF settings. (I know I will have to learn that, if I want to render animations with DOF.)

So, I'd love to hear what you think! Suggestions for improvment are always welcome.

PS: What's a good source for light probes? Free or otherwise. I know about the cheap garden mirror ball trick someone was talking about elsewhere on here, but I'm no camera whiz.

jm gruninger
12-29-2003, 08:37 PM
Looks extremly good , I like the specular highlights , some times with radiosity I find the specular high lights dont look as good.

FenrirWolf
01-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Thank you, JM. I'm liking how it came out as well. I'm totally sold on global illumination now. Too bad it just takes so long. :)

FenrirWolf
01-08-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm not one to normally double post but -- what? Nearly 500 views and only one comment?

Does this really suck that bad? I know the model is simple and not really up the quality of what most of you folks can do on here, but I'm pretty proud of the surfacing and I want to know honestly what you think? Does it look OK? Does it need work, and if so, in what way?

I've posted this on three forums; One, I got good response, but it wasn't exactly a professional 3d art forum so I can't judge accurately from those replies, and this one plus another -- and I've gotten almost zilch feedback. Therefore, I can only surmise everybody thinks this sucks...

Sincerely yours,
Fenrir, a 3D modeler who's wondering if he's barking up the wrong career path :P

Arcturus
01-08-2004, 05:27 PM
I'm not professional but all i can say is wow, i'm starting to think i'm on the wrong career path :) I think nobody's saying anything because there's really nothing wrong with your render.

Chrysolithos
01-08-2004, 08:59 PM
I don't think it's because your image sucks, dude. You are way more awesome than me. At least you got all those views. My critter is only at 80 or so views and no coments at all.:confused:

But at least it give me an easy spot to work up from. :rolleyes:

And I don't have to worry about my career path as my day job is not one I'll be quitting anytime soon. (Which is a good thing consdering my current level of LWing despite fooling with it since my 1st amiga video toaster.

mamurphy
01-09-2004, 07:29 PM
that really is a fantastic render. fantatic texturing. and great modelling for the subject.

Reminds me of the old Voltron toys I used to play with:D

dave nz
01-11-2004, 10:13 PM
I think its an awesome render, but he looks kinda "i just ran here and im really tired", i'd love to see him in a more aggressive pose, like "i want some of your limbs here, and the rest of them over there" :D

FenrirWolf
01-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Apologies for the whiney post. I've just grown a little discouraged with my 3d art, as I've been having problems with Lightwave and my pictures haven't been coming out so well. I got my problems with LW sorted out, and now I'm working on fixing the second half of that.

I'm doing this as a pure hobby, but the more I play with LW the more I realize how much fun it is, and who knows? I might even do professionally some day.

Dave: Good point, the pose is dynamic but not quite there. I'm tempted to try to animate this guy, but the render tims are quite massive. I guess I could kill the anti-aliasing and then just rely upon video compression to blur the picture for me... Hrrm.

Anyway, thanks for the replies AND views.

forkazoo
01-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Wow. Looks fantastic. The surfacing really looks like somebody hand-painted a model. Can't quite put my finger on why I like it so much. Any chance you could post some information about how you went about doing the surfacing and lighting? Is it all procedurals, all bitmaps, etc? I'm looking forward to more of your work!