PDA

View Full Version : Make preview not playing back?

starbase1
07-07-2018, 01:39 AM
I've just put Lightwave onto my shiny new super fast laptop, and in general it's great!

But when I make previews they don't play back - or rather they do, but there's nothing to see.
Anyone got ideas on what I can try to fix this?

The mode (wireframe, textured etc) does not make a difference.
Thanks,.
Nick

MonroePoteet
07-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Works fine here, both in "locked" and "unlocked" preview windows, wireframe, textured solid, etc. I'm running LW2018.0.5 on Windows 7.

Maybe make sure the drivers for the laptop's graphics card are up-to-date. I think the Make Preview uses OpenGL to render the preview.

mTp

starbase1
07-08-2018, 02:12 AM
Works fine here, both in "locked" and "unlocked" preview windows, wireframe, textured solid, etc. I'm running LW2018.0.5 on Windows 7.

Maybe make sure the drivers for the laptop's graphics card are up-to-date. I think the Make Preview uses OpenGL to render the preview.

mTp

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm on 11.6

MonroePoteet
07-08-2018, 07:33 AM
Previews work fine for me on LW11.6 - Windows 7, HP Laptop with i7 processor.

mTp

rustythe1
07-10-2018, 04:14 AM
looks like it may be a recent windows 10 screw up, I cant get make or save preview to work anymore either, had a whole host of problems with lightwave after the latest feature update, if im not mistaken they did a lot of work to graphics and display (4k stuff) but seems to be having a lot of impact on older software, I cant get any of the codecs to work for save, this is in older versions of lightwave too (they all worked fine with up until now)
other problems have been instant crashes when changing display mode in modeller after moving across multiple monitors, viewports keep disappearing, and the problem with small cursor comes and goes when you open or close other apps such as excel!

3dpete
07-10-2018, 08:52 AM
I have also had similar issues. Converting the preview file through vlc seems to fix the issue. The issue tends to come up when the file gets over a certain size for me.

raymondtrace
07-10-2018, 09:21 AM
In addition to keeping graphics drivers up-to-date, check the codec used to make the preview. A fresh system may be lacking useful codecs.

If you see the interface properly drawing the frames while it builds the preview, then the culprit is likely the video codec. The codec can be defined in the "preview options" at the bottom of the "Preview" drop list.

More codec resources: https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/codec-packs

Note that many of these offer warnings such as "if you install all the included codecs/decoders you might get problem with other video software on your computer." Even if this message does not appear with whatever codecs you choose to install, be sure to create a system restore point prior to codec and driver updates. You may need to uninstall the codec or driver (or even roll back the system) if you go down the wrong path. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point

starbase1
07-10-2018, 11:37 PM
Thanks all - at least it's not just me!

devin
07-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Just confirming that I've been experiencing the same issue for quite awhile as well. I've been using the undocked window. I contacted Newtek but they weren't really able to offer a solution. I've updated codecs and messed around with the various GL (shading method, geo accel, vsync, etc) settings as some suggested to no effect. Codecs... ditto.

Now that multiple users have flagged the issue, maybe Newtek can respond or look into the issue more closely.

rustythe1
07-12-2018, 02:24 PM
well I went through them one by one and not a single one works anymore, and windows 10 no longer appears to play certain video formats, ive always had sharkys video codec set installed, in fact as my win 10 is the upgrade version so its still there, its obviously a windows thing as 2-3 months ago I was saving a lot of previews, so now stuck back in 2015 as 2018 dosnt have a quickshade option (as on my machine its almost as fast as make preview)

raymondtrace
07-12-2018, 02:44 PM
To clarify, are we seeing the stepped frames as they are being rendered into the preview or is the activity in the Layout interface as blank as the resulting preview video?

If we're looking to troubleshoot within the forums, it may help to discuss more system details. I have LW on a bare bones, mostly fresh (not yet cluttered), up-to-date Win10 and don't see any problem. Here are the installed codecs that work for me.

To compare on your system:

Open Windows Media Player
Right click to the left of the "Play", "Burn", and "Sync" tabs in the upper right to expose the hidden context menu.
Choose "Help->About Windows Media Player"
Then click the "Technical Support Information" link to expose the installed codecs and versions.

EDIT:

...Converting the preview file through vlc seems to fix the issue...

I believe by default, VLC has an automatic method of choosing whether to use hardware-accelerated decoding. This may be why you have success in VLC and why it may be worth further investigating video driver updates or toggling hardware-accelerated decoding everywhere on the system.

More: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardware-acceleration-windows-7

devin
07-12-2018, 02:57 PM
For me, it steps through the frames as if it is recording them but then just sits on the initial frame during playback. This does not occur if I enable Make Preview through the undocked panel/window, however. It works as it should. Same experience in both 15 and 18.

jwiede
07-12-2018, 04:26 PM
For me, it steps through the frames as if it is recording them but then just sits on the initial frame during playback. This does not occur if I enable Make Preview through the undocked panel/window, however. It works as it should. Same experience in both 15 and 18.

So if it reliably fails when run in-view, but succeeds when run as undocked panel/window, that strongly suggests the problem isn't codec-related, but instead some kind of LW bug. Can you please describe your precise steps for both the "in-view" and "undocked" Make Preview use cases? Does the in-view/docked difference in behavior occur while making previews of any content, or just when making previews for a specific scene of yours?

It's also quite feasible there are multiple issues involved, one involving codecs that some are seeing in Win10, and yours, involving what seems like more of a LW issue.

JohnMarchant
07-12-2018, 05:46 PM
So its got to be Windows 10, same for me as well. It creates the preview but when i playback it just sits at the first frame. This happens in 2015.3 and 2018.0.5, which is why i think its more windows 10 as im sure i had no problems in WIn 7 and 2015.3. Or as jweide said its more than one issue.

Question for you, does anyone have a login that is more than one word or something with a space in it. Probably nothing but with Oliver Hotz help we discovered a bug in LW 2018 which affects ODTools and anyone with a windows login that has any spaces on it.

JohnMarchant
07-12-2018, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=raymondtrace;1550689]To clarify, are we seeing the stepped frames as they are being rendered into the preview or is the activity in the Layout interface as blank as the resulting preview video?

LW seems to step through the preview when creating it fine. Then the player comes up but when you press play it stays on the first frame and the picture does not move but the scroll does.

jwiede
07-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Interestingly, I think I just identified a bug in Mac LW2018.0.5 where the _undocked_ preview window doesn't function properly with VPR, but docked works fine. It only happens with VPR previews, other display modes seem to work fine whether docked or undocked.

In the VPR undocked case, on Mac (here anyway, macOS 10.13.5), the preview buffer winds up oddly "cut up" and the rendering shows in this odd partial slice view at the bottom of the preview window. However, the actual rendered preview anim saves fine, it's just the display of the preview which appears broken/corrupted. Anyone on Mac encountered anything like this when making VPR-based previews using undocked preview window?

It's quite possible there's some unexpected interactions occurring with docked vs undocked previews, which could easily yield problems in both platforms.

raymondtrace
07-12-2018, 07:48 PM
I'm sniffing around the matter of "hardware acceleration" to playback video. The signs come from the reported success of VLC and the suspicion that the docked and undocked preview windows could very easily be programmed to vary in their use of hardware acceleration. And of, course, there's this article that seems to sound very familiar.

https://appuals.com/fix-windows-10-video-problems/

Sure, this could probably be caught/fixed in LW code but there could be other ways to remedy. As this appears to have broken with a Windows 10 update, it seems more probable that you could soon expect a corrective patch from Microsoft and/or a driver update from Nvidia or AMD.

devin
07-13-2018, 10:17 AM
One other item worth noting. Though the frames do not play back in the normal (docked) window, if you save the preview, the frames are written and play back fine as a standalone avi video file.

So, it's definitely still recording the frames into memory, it's just unable to play them back in LW via the docked window.

raymondtrace
07-13-2018, 11:06 AM
That's exactly why this smells of issue with hardware accelerated video playback.

...the frames are written and play back fine as a standalone avi video file.

Is the standalone avi video file being played in a particular player without hardware accelerated decoding? How are you playing it?

jwiede
07-13-2018, 04:51 PM
That's exactly why this smells of issue with hardware accelerated video playback.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree w.r.t. the problem seen with Windows LW.

I'm less convinced that's what is occurring in the Mac LW case. I've added a screen capture, so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://vimeo.com/279938854/9c4cdb72 (https://vimeo.com/279938854/9c4cdb72c4)

That both the preview display itself and the preview display GUI controls are corrupted is (IMO) fairly convincing evidence it's a Mac LW issue.

Filed as bug, LWB-4176.

gerry_g
07-13-2018, 05:19 PM
this may seem unrelated but,........on a Mac in Premier Pro any old .Mov files from LW 2015.3 stutter on playback, any LW 2018.0.4 ones don't, the old LW 2015.3 .Mov files are 32bit, the 2018.0.4 are H264 64bit, could it be there is a mismatch between the recorded format and the playback engine

jwiede
07-13-2018, 05:22 PM
this may seem unrelated but,........on a Mac in Premier Pro any old .Mov files from LW 2015.3 stutter on playback, any LW 2018.0.4 ones don't, the old LW 2015.3 .Mov files are 32bit, the 2018.0.4 are H264 64bit, could it be there is a mismatch between the recorded format and the playback engine

If you're referring to the Mac preview issue, the issue appears unrelated to codec/format (and I've tried a few just to be certain).

Look at my screen capture and you'll see what I mean -- when undocked, both the preview display window GUI and preview display are corrupted.

rustythe1
07-14-2018, 08:07 AM
well, interestingly I have just discovered I have multiple software problems, and these all relate to gpu acceleration, eg most of my adobe cs6 software now crashes when doing anything that is gpu accelerated (such as filters etc) so far it seems to affect the last 3 builds of nvida at least, and seems that many of my problems with lightwave could be linked to GPU (lightwave crashes when changing display type etc) obviously some windows updates include nvidia drivers so could be why myself and others are suddenly having problems as there have been a fair few updates recently, im on 398.36 and problems still persist (if anything seems to be worse) for adobe turning off gpu acceleration fixes everything, as unfortunately not likely to see any updates for cs6!

devin
07-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Is the standalone avi video file being played in a particular player without hardware accelerated decoding? How are you playing it?

VLC with default settings. I checked it in WMP and even QT and it plays back in both of these as well.

gerry_g
07-16-2018, 10:43 AM
VLC is still using a 32bit playback engine on windows so yes your 32bit file plays just fine, the point I was trying to make earlier was that Adobe having finally gone 64bit with Premier is that it causes old 32bit files to stutter or refuse to start playing, Lightwave 2018 is now also 64bit so I would imagine the playback is also being done in 64bit, have you tried encoding in 64bit to see if that works ?

raymondtrace
07-16-2018, 11:04 AM
I'd love for someone to define what a 32 or 64 bit video file is.

:)

gerry_g
07-16-2018, 11:51 AM
H462 from the output drop down in Layout render outputs in LW 2018

But its still down as .Mov in the dropdown, you have to select it from the Encoding Options at the bottom as secondary option I believe it is 64bit, it was in the notes somewhere, if not Handbrake (https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php) will convert anything to H426 and would be way faster than re rendering

jbrookes
07-16-2018, 02:09 PM
I'd love for someone to define what a 32 or 64 bit video file is.

:)

Not really a complete answer -- but...

Visibly, no difference.

It's more to do with code compatibility. For example, 64-bit programs (and operating systems) won't load 32-bit plugins without some kind of converter.

The main benefit of 64-bit O/S' and apps is memory space. As always, there are trade-offs.

I'm sure a programmer could explain it better than me (and in more detail).

jwiede
07-16-2018, 03:11 PM
The whole notion of 32-bit vs 64-bit in standardized file formats generally refers to their internal use of 32-bit-wide vs 64-bit-wide (or greater) representations for offsets, size fields, and so forth. Where a 32-bit-wide integer can 1:1 map up to a 2 / 4GB (signed/unsigned) address/offset space in bytes, a 64-bit-wide integer can 1:1 map up to a (2^63-1 / 2^64-1 = 8EB-1 / 16EB-1, where 1EB or exabyte = 1048576TB).

While media files are already frequently too large to fit into 32-bit-wide address spaces (in 1:1 byte maps, anyway), for all but the most extreme data sets, 64-bit-wide address spaces are adequate (in near-term, anyway, though some fwd-looking filesystems are using 128-bit-wide addressing spaces already -- I leave that math to the reader).

Hope that helps!

devin
07-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Did anyone happen to bug this with a link to this thread? If not, I will do so. Thanks.

raymondtrace
07-18-2018, 10:01 AM
I appreciate the explanations but I was poking at the unusual idea that a video file encoded/recorded on a 32 bit system or application could not decode/play on a 64 bit system or application. The change observed in Premiere was not likely due to a change in 32 to 64 bit applications. It was likely due to the introduction or revision of hardware acceleration. Example: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2475280

Did anyone happen to bug this with a link to this thread? If not, I will do so. Thanks.

There shouldn't be a single spokesperson for this forum topic. NewTek benefits from everyone submitting a bug report. They can make use of the varied system specs that are submitted. They can better prioritize resolutions if multiple people report an issue.

This may be just as much of a feature request as a bug report. The new feature could be a preference toggle to playback video with or without hardware acceleration.

While GPUs offer many tricks, developers need to offer fallback options (something the VLC crew has done).

Is it fair to say this issue only affects a certain brand of GPU?

jwiede
07-18-2018, 12:14 PM

I bugged and sent in the Mac preview bug, but it's different. I haven't done anything w.r.t. the Windows hw-accelerated codec preview issue.

devin
12-10-2018, 10:06 AM
CORRECTION: Once I also updated my Nvidia gfx card driver, it's now working. Ignore the previous post below. Thanks, Newtek.

I received the following update on this issue in but it's still not resolved for me in 2018.0.7. Can anyone else also experiencing this issue confirm whether it's fixed on your end? Thanks.

Issue LWB-4267 has been marked as CLOSED.

Link: https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/LWB-4267/

Died on the vine.
Was fixed with the other UI preview fixes.