PDA

View Full Version : quicktime question

Lemonish
12-29-2003, 02:10 PM
hmmm...I made a movie on lightwave and renderd it and stuff. I use quicktime but when i watch it the movie goes a lot faster on the quicktime movie. Can someone please tell me the frames per second quicktime is?. I would use windows media player but the quality is always crappy.

bloontz
12-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Quicktime supports any frame rate your computer can handle. You generally set the rate in the application that you produce the footage in. You can also change the framerate with Quicktime Pro.

themaxx
12-29-2003, 03:24 PM
You can set the frame rate in the render options panel in LW.

Beamtracer
12-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Quicktime is excellent. The Animation codec gives lossless high quality images. Sorenson 3 gives great compressed images.

The problem is Lightwave's implementation. There are 2 dialog boxes where you enter the frame rate. One in the Options, the other in the render settings. This is ridiculous. There should only be one, or at least the Lightwave frame rate in Options should override the frame rate in the render settings.

If you set both these to your desired frame rate then you'll be OK.

What frame rate?

You can set QT to any frame rate. If you want to output your animation to video, you should set it to the video frame rate in your country. If you are just making a preview movie for yourself, you can set it to a lower frame rate.

Video in America (North and South) is 29.97 frames per second.
Video in Europe and most other countries in Asia and the Middle East is 25 frames per second.

Ender_McFurious
12-29-2003, 07:41 PM
I'm just curious, is there a "best" compression method, or just a bunch of really good ones that are all almost just as good? I've generally favored DivX myself, but are there some better ones, and if so, what price range do they run in?

Beamtracer
12-29-2003, 08:23 PM
The "best" codec depends what you are using it for.

Rendering from Lightwave, I always like to use lossless codecs, meaning no quality is lost. These have much larger file sizes, so are not suitable for the web.

After rendering an animation to a lossless codec or image format, if I want to post it on the web, I then translate it to a lossy codec to get a smaller file size.

The Quicktime codec 'Soreneson 3' is a great lossy codec. Only a bit of quality is lossed (most people probably wouldn't notice) but the file size is really small.

MPEG-4 is another good format for posting on the web.

DivX is OK as a lossy codec, but involves downloading the extra codec (as no player comes with it installed). It can sometimes play havoc on the Mac, so it's not that good if you want to have a cross-platform audience.

For compositing work I use the Microcosm codec (which you have to pay to get) as it's lossless and 16-bit per channel.

Each codec has advantages and disadvantages, and it depends on what your needs are.

themaxx
12-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Another tip (slightly off topic): I always render animations out as a series of stills, then use quicktime player's "open image sequence" feature to turn them into a movie. This way if I crash or have to interrupt the render, I can still salvage the finished frames instead of ending up with a corrupt animation file.

It also makes it easier to monitor the progress, since I can preview the finished frames while rendering continues.