PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 2018.0.5 is Available Now for Download

Chuck
07-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Mac users: Please download again if you got the update prior to 4:30 PM USCT 3-July-2018. A crash when using numeric entries has been fixed.

LightWave 2018.0.5 (Build 3068) Final Release Change Log - July 02, 2018

2018.0.5 will install into its own directory. 2018.0.5 uses the same license as your 2018.0, 2018.0.1, 2018.0.2, 2018.0.3, and 2018.0.4 license - just drag-and-drop the license into the interface of 2018.0.5 when first launching 2018.0.5.

Bumped product version to 2018.0.5.
Set the build number to 3068

Fixed the picking issues in Modeler not working at all with grid scales larger than 5km or so.

LB-4697 Crash using scene editor plug-in to toggle camera stereo Anaglyph filter on.

LWB-3641 SyncMesh gizmo picking was weird because picking and drawing were using different scales.
LWB-3657 morphing (morph target) has weird behavior
LWB-3715 ClothFX crash
LWB-3796 LW2018.0.3 crashes on my Mac 10.13.4 when performing certain tasks
LWB-3883 IKBooster menu no draw on Dope track.
LWB-3907 OpenGL Update RefreshNow/RedrawNow not working with instances
LWB-3914 Tree control move func not working (crash)
LWB-3974 Rendering results in "out of application memory"
LWB-3987 layout crashes when an instancer is deleted
LWB-3998 "Not enough memory" error cutting mesh with two-point polygons
LWB-4007 Memory leak in animation render
LWB-4033 Shadow Buffer shows errors with Limited region On and the bucket size
LWB-4065 Object crashes Layout when sending to Modeler
LWB-4081 Crash when tweaking light samples on Scene editor
LWB-4083 Deleting a camera could cause a crash because camera evaluators of other cameras in the scene became confused about which cameras they belonged to.
LWB-4095 The MULTILIST controls require a different kind of value lists than other trees. Added the set_addr_int() function to address this.
LWB-4101 Layout crashes when you try to access a surface's node editor
LWB-4102 Opening the graph editor for an Advanced Camera could crash if no prior evaluation of the camera was done.
LWB-4103 Modeler crashes when loading object with metalink node

OFF
07-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Thank you very much, I very much hope that the ClothFX back is fully restored to work in lw2018.

P.S. Cloth FX still broken in Lightwave - in new build '3068' too. Cloth don't react with boned deforming bodies.

jeric_synergy
07-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Thank you very much, I very much hope that the ClothFX back is fully restored to work in lw2018.

P.S. Cloth FX still broken in Lightwave - in new build '3068' too. Cloth don't react with boned deforming bodies.

Shot in the dark: could that be addressed w/evaluation order?

madno
07-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Anything about:
Interpolated GI optimization
Firefly avoidance
Render Speed
Caustics making everthing brighter
GUI for HiDPI displays
?

OFF
07-03-2018, 01:08 AM
Shot in the dark: could that be addressed w/evaluation order?

I created a bug-report on this problem with the scene file and video demonstration and sent it all to Newtek's team. They already answered. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I have talked about this problem, but for some reason it has not been solved yet.

jeric_synergy
07-03-2018, 01:36 AM
Bueno. Thanks for submitting bug reports.

Lewis
07-03-2018, 02:02 AM
Thanks for new service pack guys.

erikals
07-03-2018, 03:46 AM

P.S. ClothFX still broken in LightWave - in new build '3068' too. Cloth don't react with boned deforming bodies.

http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngOFF
created a bug-report on this problem with the scene file and video demonstration and sent it all to Newtek's team. They already answered. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I have talked about this problem, but for some reason it has not been solved yet.

ClothFX still has its place, crossing fingers for a fix...

gerry_g
07-03-2018, 04:04 AM
On Mac Any numeric input in Layout = instant crash, only tried it with Camera and Lights ATM, can scrub values just fine but anything else is out of bounds, I'm using a tablet BTW

Also Numerics does not pop up in Modeler and any attempt to open it manually results in instant crash, either I am missing something or Mac users aught to be wary of upgrading too soon

rcallicotte
07-03-2018, 07:27 AM
Thanks Chuck!

Axis3d
07-03-2018, 08:15 AM
On Mac Any numeric input in Layout = instant crash, only tried it with Camera and Lights ATM, can scrub values just fine but anything else is out of bounds, I'm using a tablet BTW

Also Numerics does not pop up in Modeler and any attempt to open it manually results in instant crash, either I am missing something or Mac users aught to be wary of upgrading too soon

Same here (on mac). In Layout, I went to Utilities > Edit Plugins > then put the cursor in the top bar to type a search item - instant crash. Ugh. I guess I'll stick with 2018.04 til this one is fixed. Using a mouse.

I submitted a bug report.

aperezg
07-03-2018, 09:53 AM

In my case on mac any numeric input in layout won't crash only not changed the value, i must to change it with the little arrows next to the number. I tried it with camera and lights, properties.

Matt
07-03-2018, 10:47 AM
The Mac crasher is being looked at as a priority

jwiede
07-03-2018, 10:55 AM

I can partially confirm this as well (encountered this last night, gave up until this morning). Here, putting in numeric values doesn't crash, but LW never accepts the value either (no matter if I press TAB, ENTER, RETURN, whatever). I'm seeing this in both Layout and Modeler, all entry fields in panels I can find.

2018.0.5 Mac is a no-go in its current state, stick with 2018.0.4.

Same here (on mac). In Layout, I went to Utilities > Edit Plugins > then put the cursor in the top bar to type a search item - instant crash. Ugh. I guess I'll stick with 2018.04 til this one is fixed. Using a mouse.

Interesting, tried exact same steps here, no crash, just sits there without filtering the displayed plugins either (even after ENTER/RETURN, etc).

Ugh indeed. Would very much like to understand the LW2018.0.x Mac testing process, or lack thereof.

Tim Parsons
07-03-2018, 11:00 AM
The delay between switching apps is still there too. 10seconds or so. Not good.

CaptainMarlowe
07-03-2018, 11:09 AM
No crash with numeric values, here, on a test install, but values entered manually aren't taken into account either.

jwiede
07-03-2018, 11:11 AM
The Mac crasher is being looked at as a priority

Not always a crasher, here the fields just don't accept any text entry. I can type text into the fields, and it stays present if I hit ENTER/TAB/whatever, but if I close and reopen panel, field contents are exact same as before. LW never "accepts" the entered text here, Layout or Modeler (AFAICT, tested a few panels now in each app -- can enumerate if needed).

Markc
07-03-2018, 11:30 AM
The delay between switching apps is still there too. 10seconds or so. Not good.

Didn't somebody in the other thread fix this with a windows driver update?

Chuck
07-03-2018, 03:31 PM
Mac users: Please download again if you got the update prior to 4:30 PM USCT 3-July-2018. A crash when using numeric entries has been fixed.

Our apologies for the inconvenience. We have reviewed our testing/checking and implemented improvements, and will do our best to see that this never happens again.

Boris Goreta
07-03-2018, 04:49 PM
But what about the PC, modeler is crashing as soon as I touch something on the numpad.

adk
07-03-2018, 05:25 PM
But what about the PC, modeler is crashing as soon as I touch something on the numpad.

Hmmmm... maybe I'll wait before updating to this one

jwiede
07-03-2018, 06:07 PM
Hmmmm... maybe I'll wait before updating to this one

Actually, might be better if others can confirm/deny issue that Boris is seeing, so NT has a better idea whether it's a widespread problem or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Our apologies for the inconvenience. We have reviewed our testing/checking and implemented improvements, and will do our best to see that this never happens again.

Apology and reassurance deeply appreciated, thanks Chuck!

Boris Goreta
07-03-2018, 06:33 PM
About that 10 second app switch bug, when this start happening you need to go to the Hub->Launch Processes and disable LWModeler and the bug is gone. Of course there is no more communication between LW and Modeler but this might be helpful to trace the bug.
IMO this is a critical bug. It is like having a potato bag on your back because so much time is lost waiting ...

Is there some debug mode where I could see what is happening during this app switching ?

Plus there is that crash when you switch to Modeler too quickly it just poof ! dissappears

also non reproducible

adk
07-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Actually, might be better if others can confirm/deny issue that Boris is seeing, so NT has a better idea whether it's a widespread problem or not.

... yeah you're right, more eyes over this is a better outcome.

Kryslin
07-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Could you describe the steps needed to duplicate this? I have 2018.0.5 up and running, and am not :
-Experiencing any lag between any apps ( I have 7 open right now) and can't see any delay between them when switching...
-Also not seeing any crashes using the numeric requester in modeler.

System specs in sig, also note I'm not using a tablet, just a plain old mouse. Win 10 Pro 1803 17134.112

OFF
07-03-2018, 07:11 PM
You need open the same object in Modeler and Layout and make some changes - surfaces, deforming, any. And you get a lags when you switching between apps.

Kryslin
07-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Not seeing any lag. I created an object, sent it to layout. changed the surfacing there, went back to modeler. edited the geometry, saved it, switched back to layout. Changed the surfacing again, switched back to modeler. Upped the poly count dramatically, saved it,back to layout. Less than a second between each switch. Object's poly count was around 20K

Boris Goreta
07-03-2018, 08:47 PM
For me this is not reproducible, but kicks in often and when it kicks in it stays until apps restart.

OFF
07-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Not seeing any lag. I created an object, sent it to layout. changed the surfacing there, went back to modeler. edited the geometry, saved it, switched back to layout. Changed the surfacing again, switched back to modeler. Upped the poly count dramatically, saved it,back to layout. Less than a second between each switch. Object's poly count was around 20K

Maybe this only happens with large scenes / objects? Need to check...

Boris Goreta
07-04-2018, 05:27 AM
How do I even report this bug if I can't reproduce it , but it happens a lot ?

raw-m
07-04-2018, 06:47 AM
How do I even report this bug if I can't reproduce it , but it happens a lot ?
Having the exact same problem with Modeler crashing in the bg while using Layout on Mac. Haven’t tried 2018.0.5 yet but can’t see any mention in the bug fix list.

Kryslin
07-04-2018, 08:16 AM
The trick is to start eliminating non-lightwave causes, at least with the app switching lag.
-Find out what system services are taking too big a time slice by running a latency monitor. Update the offender to the most current version.
(Windows 10 WHQL NIC drivers are known to be problematic in some cases. Updating them with your NIC Manufacturer's latest drivers usually resolves the problem).

-What antivirus package are you using? Some packages are known to cause frustrating issues with Lightwave. (AVG, in my case, dropped it for Avast)

-Does the problem happen when you use the -0 command line option to use the IPC method of sharing data between Layout and Modeler, instead of the Hub?

-Try running Lightwave without any 3rd party plugins, and adding them back in, one at a time.

kolby
07-04-2018, 09:46 AM

No problems here at all. Win7 x64.

THIBAULT
07-04-2018, 10:19 AM
No problems here at all. Win7 x64.

Same here ! Perfect !

Marander
07-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Same here, no issues with 2018.0.5 on Win10 with application switching or numeric inputs.

madno
07-04-2018, 11:24 AM
About that 10 second app switch bug ...

Like Kryslin suggested:
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

It can be used to get at least a hint about what's going on. Normally all bars should be green. if something becomes red it is worth to further investigate.

Kryslin mentioned the ndis.sys already (the internet is full of reports about it in Windows 10).
On my machine it became red after some time (second to minutes of PC use). Downloading an intel NIC driver solved it. But in my case it was obvious that the MS ndis.sys caused the latency problem. I had a stutter when switching Modeler and Layout but not nearly in the 10 second range - and I am not sure if ndis.sys caused it. But it definately caused dropouts in realtime audio.
It could also be something totally different. Maybe your virus scanner has a "heuristic" function that tries to indentify malicious activity and needs to much time for that.

But it is all an uneducated guess.

There is also the Microsoft Performance Toolkit.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/wpt/
That one can go into the darkest edges of your system and shine bright light on what's going on there.

On my machine (win 10 pro 1709) there is no lag when switching from LW to other apps or between Modeler and Layout (exept from switching e.g. sub-d in Modeler on a few hundredthousend poly model - in that case it takes a few seconds before Layout updates). That's valid for 2015 to 2018.0.5

oliverhotz
07-04-2018, 02:31 PM
also.. try without hub..so you can narrow down causes..

gerry_g
07-04-2018, 02:35 PM
hes on the Mac not Windows and I can confirm it is a Mac issue, can be no activity going on whatsoever other than being in Layout with Modeller open in the background and boom up pops the 'Modeller has quit' warning, this has been consistent on the Mac in most versions of 2018x

Boris Goreta
07-04-2018, 02:44 PM
On the PC too Modeler often just disappears, without even Modeler has crashed dialog popping up.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the state of the BandSAW command:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSbeO3ZkNcY&feature=youtu.be

Boris Goreta
07-04-2018, 02:47 PM
also.. try without hub..so you can narrow down causes..

I've stated already that whem the 10 second bugs happens I need to kill the Modeler and then Layout doesn't have this delay anymore ( between Layout and apps other then Modeler )

Kryslin
07-04-2018, 03:02 PM
My mistake, then. However, the general gist of the process remains the same; start removing external causes. See if the Mac has similar troubleshooting tools, like a latency monitor or like the windows performance tools.

This lets you give the devs as much information as possible; what it's not is almost as good as ID'ing the problem.

WRT the "disappearing, idling modeler" issue, I've noticed it, maybe 6 times in the last 2 years, under various versions of Windows 10. So that makes it an older issue. What's causing it? Haven't a clue...

jeric_synergy
07-05-2018, 03:42 PM
The 'debugging identification process' would be a good sticky topic.... if we didn't have so many already.

PERHAPS some of the stickies could be consolidated??

Boris Goreta
07-05-2018, 04:00 PM
I have recorded the 10 second wait bug if someone wants to look at it. Basically you get out of it by killing one of the apps, either Modeler or Layout which leads me to believe it has something to do with the communication between the two. This was on the fresh install of 2018.5 with only Octane and LWCad installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aPIwHaynUE&feature=youtu.be

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this ?
I tried with the latencymon but it doesn't report any problems when this happens.

Kryslin
07-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Have you tried this with the -0 (use IPC for communication), and with -i (Isolate mode, no hub, no IPC) command line options?

Also, what is running in the background(antivirus, firewall, etc.)?

Matt
07-05-2018, 05:03 PM
'debugging identification process'

Not sure if you know, but when you use yellow text in your posts, they're unreadable on a white forum theme.