PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Catcher - Strange hard edge

RPSchmidt
07-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Hey folks!

Having some issues with a shape layer shadow catcher.

I have a brick planter with tulips in it; I am using an HDRI, environment light, and distant light.

The shadow is going straight out from the planter and then just abruptly ends in a hard line on the shadow catcher, and I'm not sure why.

I wish I could provide a sample render, but the work is on a system that has no access to the internet.

Essentially, the shadow just terminates for no reason in a hard edge about seven meters from the planter.

So far, I've tried replacing the shadow catcher null with a polygonal plane of the same size with a default PBSDF surface... same result. The shadow goes out about seven meters and ends in a hard edge.

The size of the various plane objects I've used are far larger than the planter in radius. The shadow should fall off naturally, but it's not.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Kryslin
07-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Have you tried setting the angle on the distant light to, say, 5 ? If it's left @ 0, it leaves a razor sharp line...

RPSchmidt
07-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Have you tried setting the angle on the distant light to, say, 5 ? If it's left @ 0, it leaves a razor sharp line...

Yes I did change the angle, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

I ended up reducing the fixed clipping distance on the camera, and that seems to have fixed it. I'm not sure why it would, the camera is not that close to the object... it's probably about 20 meters away from it.

Ah well. The hard edge is gone and the shadow is workable now, if not 100% perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!