PDA

View Full Version : No color copy/paste in LW2018 Mac?

jwiede
07-01-2018, 09:58 PM
So is anyone else able to get "color copy/paste" to work on Mac? When you have a color widget with the three digits and the color block, you should be able to right-click on the color block to "copy" the color, and then subsequently ctrl-right-click on another color block to "paste" that same color. However, I cannot get that operation to work at ALL in LW2018.0.4 Mac, regardless of whether I try CMD vs CTRL, and regardless of the setting of the "⌘ mimics Control modifier" special menu item.

I even went back to LW2015.3 (Mac) to ensure I remembered how it worked, and it worked exactly as described/expected in LW2015.3.

Anyone else having this problem with LW2018.0.x Mac?

It's a HUGE time-saver while tweaking/copying surface properties, will be very disappointed if broken.

Sensei
07-01-2018, 11:28 PM
It's a HUGE time-saver while tweaking/copying surface properties, will be very disappointed if broken.

Global Materials 2018, and you won't need to copy paste surface properties from one surface/one object to other surface/other object.. ;)

jwiede
07-02-2018, 01:52 AM
Noted. When it comes to copying color values between existing fields within a node, or similar scenarios, though, having the right-click-based color copy/paste is still much more efficient.

Bug filed as LWB-4119.

jwiede
07-02-2018, 02:54 PM
And the reply from support (then closing bug LWB-4119):

It was changed for 2018 to be more standard -

on the pc, it's:

Ctrl-Right-Click to copy
Alt-Right-click to paste

on the mac it's
Control-Right click to copy
Option-Right click to paste.

Just tested here - works fine.
Thank you for your report.
--
LightWave 3D Group Support

Not quite sure I understand why it had to change, or what makes the new config "more standard", but so be it. I'm glad it still exists, but the change feels a bit capricious here.

Also, was that change documented? And if so, under what? The only mentions to copy/paste I could easily find were the obvious ctrl-C/V/X references.

Matt
07-03-2018, 03:54 PM
Not quite sure I understand why it had to change

Was requested because with no qualifier key for the copy, it was easy to accidentally slide the colour when using a tablet. So we added a qualifier to the copy swatch. Because originally CTRL RMB was for paste, that would have meant using ALT RMB for copy, and it was deemed to feel the wrong way around by the testers. I asked for their input on it prior to changing it and the vote was unanimous.

Also, was that change documented?

Was in the change notes.

And is here:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Conventions#Conventions-ColorSelection

jwiede
07-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Was requested because with no qualifier key for the copy, it was easy to accidentally slide the colour when using a tablet. So we added a qualifier to the copy swatch. Because originally CTRL RMB was for paste, that would have meant using ALT RMB for copy, and it was deemed to feel the wrong way around by the testers. I asked for their input on it prior to changing it and the vote was unanimous.

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation. There is one minor issue: Us Mac folks are used to sub-ing CMD for CTRL (special menu item is on by default), so because ALT/OPTION is left of CMD on Mac keyboards, it kind of winds up feeling "backwards" for us ("Paste" left of "Copy"). Again, a minor issue at best.

And is here:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Conventions#Conventions-ColorSelection

Ah. No combo of "color copy"/"color paste" or color-picker tag finds that, nor is there any link to there from the "Color Picker" article under Surface Editor. Thanks for pointing it out, at least I can point Deuce to adding cross-links for it (and explicitly mention ALT=OPTION as well).