PDA

View Full Version : layer of INK floating over paper?

pekka varis
06-26-2018, 02:48 AM
Hello!

Thanks for all folks helping me with my latest animation problem about Flying paper! HEre is the topic and final video:
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156657-Animate-flying-paper

Now I need help with animating a layer of ink over paper, and then the ink should gradually flow down to paper, say from left to right. It should still be visible on paper, like a thick layer of extra ink.

How would I animate this kind of effect?

Again, this is a promo video work. I also gonna shot with Red One MX.

Pekka Varis

MonroePoteet
06-26-2018, 07:53 AM
You might have some luck animating a Procedural texture for the ink flowing. LW2018 sample scene attached, but the same method works in LW2015 or earlier.

142025 142026
142027 142028

Movie showing effect: 142021

In the sample scene, a Puffy Clouds procedural is rotated 180 degrees and animated in X Position, Y Scale and Threshold using an Envelope on each of these channels. The Alpha channel of the Procedural is multiplied by the Time and fed into the Specular channel to make the ink shiny. The SmallBlueBall is just there to show the change in specularity.

142022 The Scalar Layer node with Envelopes
142023 The Threshold Envelope example

Of course, using the same animated Position, Scale, etc. can be used on other Procedurals, an Image (e.g. drips) etc.

Good luck!
mTp

pekka varis
06-27-2018, 03:24 AM
Thank you! I shall use this for "drying ink" effect. What I am looking for is more like this:

There is a 3d object that has a transparency texture. The paper is under it.

I need it to be moved down on paper gradually. If you check out this morph target, I made then you understand it:

So this was what I meant by " float down from left to right" heheh hard to explain :P

But I think morph targets are going to make the animation look bad, not smooth. How can I animate this kind of transformation easily and smooth?
Here is also the scene this far..

RPSchmidt
06-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Thank you! I shall use this for "drying ink" effect. What I am looking for is more like this:

There is a 3d object that has a transparency texture. The paper is under it.

I need it to be moved down on paper gradually. If you check out this morph target, I made then you understand it:

So this was what I meant by " float down from left to right" heheh hard to explain :P

But I think morph targets are going to make the animation look bad, not smooth. How can I animate this kind of transformation easily and smooth?
Here is also the scene this far..

You could use morphs for the animation, but you will probably need three or more morph states to accomplish what you want smoothly and realistically. I don't think you can get there using just a beginning state and an end state.

Also, you might want to consider using a liquid sim instead. Lightwave doesn't have a native liquid simulation, but you could create one in Blender and export it out to Lightwave for compositing with the rest of your scene elements.

squarewulf
06-27-2018, 10:13 AM
You could use particles...

Use your ink image to emit particles then blow them away off the paper and reverse the shot.

pekka varis
06-27-2018, 11:01 AM
These are good options, but both are quite compex to make a smooth and simple movement. Even the morph, I think - If I make like 8 different morph states, still have to tweak quite a bit to make the movement smooth so there are no seams in the "wave movement" of the ink object. I guess.

Then there is the Cage Deformer plugin but that is expensive - for at least now as I am only at testing / developing phase for the video.

Is there any other free or cheap plugin that could animate this kind of transformation?

MonroePoteet
06-27-2018, 11:30 AM
If I understand what you want correctly, you may be able to use a black & white gradient Image as a Displacement Map, moving it from Left to Right with the Edges repeated. Your uploaded scene modified to show this is attached.

142035 Displacment Map setup

Wireframe Preview: 142036

The width of the curve that drops the ink layer onto the paper is defined by the X Scale of the B&W image. I used Automatic Sizing to size the B&W image to the ink layer (which is very large!), and then reduced the X Scale to make the curve narrow. The B&W image is then initially positioned -5m (i.e. off the paper, with the undisplaced Edge repeated) and an Envelope is used on its X Position to move it to +6m at frame 60.

You don't have to use a straight-edged B&W gradient - it could be a curve, or even an animation. Where the image is Black will be undisplaced, while where the image is White the ink will drop onto the paper.

Hopefully this is something similar to what you're wanting! :)

mTp

squarewulf
06-27-2018, 11:35 AM
These are good options, but both are quite compex to make a smooth and simple movement. Even the morph, I think - If I make like 8 different morph states, still have to tweak quite a bit to make the movement smooth so there are no seams in the "wave movement" of the ink object. I guess.

Then there is the Cage Deformer plugin but that is expensive - for at least now as I am only at testing / developing phase for the video.

Is there any other free or cheap plugin that could animate this kind of transformation?

So many options...

Bones, nodes, particles, effectors, dynamics, etc.

I think particles would be the easiest. Bones would be pretty simple too in combination with textured displacement.

jeric_synergy
06-28-2018, 12:19 AM
Can the ink just be a solid object that pokes up thru the paper? You can clip away anything below the paper, and just move and rotate the ink object to animate it.

Maybe "prep it" flat, and then use some technique (of the dozens) to get the bend in the paper the OP wants.

...I'm looking into MetaLINK...

pekka varis
06-28-2018, 05:59 AM
Thank you so much MonroePoteet !!

This was just the thing I was looking for.

https://youtu.be/YTRW6BnoQME

MonroePoteet
06-28-2018, 07:53 AM
Nice effect! Glad it worked for you! That general technique is extremely versatile - as I said, the B&W image could be an animation, so it could even use sort of brush strokes to lay the ink down on the paper. If you apply it to the Transparency channel beforehand, the ink could appear in the air and drop onto the paper.

Have fun!

mTp

jeric_synergy
06-28-2018, 11:49 AM
Monroe's technique is a powerful tool, especially when he adds "..or even an animation". Imagine, for starters, a bitmap rather like the ink blob outline, that animates from untouched to INVERTED and back again. --Oh wait, you could just use Envelopes for SIMPLE inversion, but animation allows you to add new, moving areas of ink.

Anyway, well done in using simple techniques to accomplish the desired effect.

+++++++++
A tip: for a simple bend as depicted, the deforming image would only need to be 1 (one) pixel tall: you can simply stretch-&-rotate it to fit.

Really, a generic 256 pixel x1 pxl image could accommodate all the possible grey scale values, and the white & black at both ends can just repeat into infinity at the edges, so you could make such a bend JUST ONCE, and stick it in your "Utility Images" folder and always have it ready. :D

+++++++++
Another tip: using an image is conceptually simple, but if you want to give the ol' Procedural Textures muscles a workout, you can also accomplish the effect using the GRID texture. But really, it's hardly worth it.

jeric_synergy
06-28-2018, 02:53 PM
A slightly different treatment (attached):142044

pekka varis
06-29-2018, 04:28 AM
You people are amazing! Thanks jeric_synergy

I am going to use these both methods. I shall use this Y-Displacement method as close up shots of the "Extra Varnishing" ink layer.

https://youtu.be/L4SMopJ6LBc

I can animate the image seq so it will sync it perfectly with the first method of floating down ink. This way I can make close up shots that show the 3d structure of the ink over paper surface and I get the refractions and higlights of real "Extra Varnishing" ink layer. Customer will be so pleased!