PDA

View Full Version : Tiled spherical map ?

NotEqual
06-25-2018, 03:05 PM
hi,

how can i map 32x64 (2048 single images) on a sphere ?

like this image sequence:
img_0_0.tif
img_0_1.tif

img_0_30.tif
img_0_31.tif
img_1_0.tif
img_1_1.tif
img_64_30.tif
img_64_31.tif

i can not merge this images in a external software. Hope, my problem is understandable ;-)
a node solution should be the best (so i can use it in LW2015)... a LW2018 is also possible

greetings

jbrookes
06-25-2018, 04:01 PM
hi,

how can i map 32x64 (2048 single images) on a sphere ?

You mean an automated approach? Sadly, I don't know (perhaps someone knows a way to automate at least part of the process).

As for manually (which would take a zillion years), you could:
- make a sphere that has just over 2048 faces
- select each face and give each one a unique name (probably a number)
- Deselect all
- Press Tab
- Freeze it
- Assign one image per surface name.

I wonder if one of the many free plugins linked on this site might be able to at least take care of the image-to-surface part of the process. Not sure about the sequential naming of the polygons in a sphere though. That could be a tough one to find a suitable plugin for.

jbrookes
06-25-2018, 04:23 PM
For the polygon naming part, there's a chance that this might work (to some extend at least):

Re. Python scripts: "The Enumerate Surface gives each selected polygon a unique surface name."

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139547-Rename-multiple-selected-surfaces-in-the-Surface-Editor

DogBoy
06-25-2018, 04:29 PM
or you use a gradients to be U rows then add them all into a gradient for V. it's a pain to set up, but should do what you want.

Sensei
06-25-2018, 04:58 PM
i can not merge this images in a external software. Hope, my problem is understandable ;-)
a node solution should be the best (so i can use it in LW2015)... a LW2018 is also possible

It's possible to make script generating .nodes file which will you will import in Node Editor..

It's unlikely so big node tree would work in LW 2015, because of IFF LWO file-format specification.
You would have to use Global Materials http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu to be able load it in LW 2015.
LW 2018 might be able to work, who knows.

If you can't merge it in 2D gfx software, it's plausible that LW won't be able to load the all 2048 images at the same time to memory either.
2048 * 1024x1024 (for example) * 4 bytes per channel * 4 channels RGBA = 32 GB of memory needed..

What is width and height of each image? What pixel format? 32 bit RGBA might be internally converted to 32 bit per channel * 4 = 16 bytes instead (like in example above)..

jbrookes
06-25-2018, 05:38 PM
Definitely some good points there. Perhaps a proof-of-concept on a simpler sphere (to keep RAM usage low and to avoid breaking things that might balk at handling 2048 images).

And the question about the width and height reminded me that your aspect ratios are likely going to change as you approach the poles of the sphere (with extreme distortion at the extreme top and bottom).

There's this as well (although I think it just appends all existing surface names with the same text (so not sure if it's helpful for this particular puzzle).

How close will the camera get to this sphere of images? Is it possible to go with something closer to 500 or 1000 images? Do the sides of the sphere need to be smooth or are obvious facets okay?