PDA

View Full Version : 2018 team, you were doing so good!

RPSchmidt
06-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Almost the end of June, gentlement and no new blog post.

Come on now... there has to be something you can blog about :)

Need the infos!

How about a cameo interview with a developer talking frankly about the challenges they face trying to implement new features? Or one that talks with a developer or the lead about what they would like to do with the product next? Not a roadmap... just highlight some things that the team has been kicking around, even pie-in-the-sky stuff.

How about a panel video of the team kicking it around?

Anyway... stay in touch, guys.

Oh, and like some others here, I don't have a Facebook account and genuinely do not want one; so if you folks have been throwing that stuff up on Facebook, maybe it's time to duplicate some of that content to the blog or another venue. Hard to read that stuff when you have JOIN FACEBOOK ads covering a third of the screen and have to constantly close popups.

BLOOOOOGGGGG!!!

devin
06-25-2018, 12:32 PM
I wonder what the status is on the video materials that they said were in the works. I know that various users have put together a few videos but I think 2018 would have much more rapid adoption if there was a solid series and/or posts dealing with nodes and noise removal. My license has been collecting dust since I've been largely avoiding nodes for years and have had limited success following the noise removal workflow suggested in the docs. The responsiveness of the new VPR also doesn't help and it makes my laptop feel and sound like it's either going to melt or explode.

Eagerly awaiting the RH node vids...

jbrookes
06-25-2018, 02:21 PM
Agreed.

That and more optimizations to the 2018 renderer.

JamesCurtis
06-25-2018, 05:05 PM
Agreed, I also am surprised that there has been no release of a LW 2018.05 or a 2018.5 or somesuch. Any further info from the team in any form would be appreciated.

Revanto
06-25-2018, 07:52 PM
I think that since they did the survey that they might be taking the feedback and requests more seriously. This means that there is probably a ton of work to be done especially now that they are fixing Modeler as well. Yeah, I understand that have been schtum for a while now and, yes, maybe they could keep us updated with little bits of info but consider how major the next update may be and the likelihood that they are spending energy on that.

I'm just trying see this from a more realistic and practical point of view. But I'm just as eager to hear from them, even tiny little tidbits of info, as other Lightwavers are, though.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

hrgiger
06-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Are people really expecting a .5 release only 6 months after 2018 is out? Nothing is different, they're not on a annual release schedule, LW development cycles generally last at least 2 to 3 years on average. Maybe a .5 next year. They're not on a annual release schedule like most everyone else.

rustythe1
06-26-2018, 10:27 AM
actually if you look back several times the xxxx.5 came out less than 6 months after the xxxx.0x fix release

Chuck
06-26-2018, 11:42 AM
The communications end of the team is doing some reorganizing and planning at this point. A number of folks have been operating on temporary roles for a while and just keeping up with the release and the patches activity. We're sorting out longer term responsibilities and role changes now.

With respect to the blog, I'll be working with that. Formerly, it was just used for occasional news about development; I would like to broaden it up to include news of interest to the community about third party efforts, integrate the case studies and user stories there, add tips and tutorials, and get it to a (reasonably) more frequent schedule, and with some variety of contributors, if possible. If you have something you would like to share, or would recommend be shared, with the community at large via the blog, please get in touch with me. Existing and new YouTube tutorials are one example of things that may be good content to share from the blog.

I'll also be adding the LightWave social media to my social media duties, which have included the NewTek-branded Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ and Twitter accounts.

jbrookes
06-26-2018, 12:25 PM
I'm certainly glad they're not doing whole number annual releases. I know that dealing with other companies that do yearly releases, the existing version gets abandoned before they can debug it thoroughly. It's a real problem (for example, the makers of a certain CAD program that's been around since the 80s). One year just isn't enough time to refine complex apps. Updates and patches are always welcome though.

Considering that LW is released approximately every 3 years, wouldn't that be a good reason to go back to the old version numbering system instead of the trend of naming apps after they year they were released in?

I'm guessing that would make the next LightWave version 14.

Asticles
06-26-2018, 12:26 PM
+1

Thanks for your response, Chuck. Please don't return to the old days.

Greenlaw
06-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Yay, Chuck! Keep us informed. :)

Kaptive
06-26-2018, 01:51 PM
I would like to broaden it up to include news of interest to the community about third party efforts, integrate the case studies and user stories there, add tips and tutorials, and get it to a (reasonably) more frequent schedule, and with some variety of contributors, if possible. If you have something you would like to share, or would recommend be shared, with the community at large via the blog, please get in touch with me. Existing and new YouTube tutorials are one example of things that may be good content to share from the blog.

I'll also be adding the LightWave social media to my social media duties, which have included the NewTek-branded Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ and Twitter accounts.

That sounds like a good idea and a positive direction.
Y'know, I still think Lightwave was impacted by the loss of Flay.com (yeah I know that is going right back) as a source for LW news. These days I have no idea where to go to find out general LW news beyond this forum, (I'm really not a Facebook fan). So it'd be great to have a bit of a news desk and an outlet for anyone developing for LW as a 3rd party to be able to let the users know via the blog. You could make this easier to maintain by having a form to fill in for submissions. A paragraph of text (with guidelines to avoid the need to edit), a link, a pic and/or a video link.

I sometimes wonder how many great ideas are sunk due to the near impossible task of marketing to niche groups.
Anyway, good stuff.

Matt
06-26-2018, 01:58 PM
Agreed, I also am surprised that there has been no release of a LW 2018.05 or a 2018.5 or somesuch. Any further info from the team in any form would be appreciated.

It's in the works

RPSchmidt
06-26-2018, 02:11 PM
The communications end of the team is doing some reorganizing and planning at this point. A number of folks have been operating on temporary roles for a while and just keeping up with the release and the patches activity. We're sorting out longer term responsibilities and role changes now.

With respect to the blog, I'll be working with that. Formerly, it was just used for occasional news about development; I would like to broaden it up to include news of interest to the community about third party efforts, integrate the case studies and user stories there, add tips and tutorials, and get it to a (reasonably) more frequent schedule, and with some variety of contributors, if possible. If you have something you would like to share, or would recommend be shared, with the community at large via the blog, please get in touch with me. Existing and new YouTube tutorials are one example of things that may be good content to share from the blog.

Thank you for replying! Very glad to hear that even though there's some reorganizing going on, it's not falling through the cracks.

I would say, don't be afraid to kick ideas around in front of us. I think the positive feedback would definitely outweigh the negative.

I would also love to see more material contributed by the very talented LW developers in the community, if they are willing to share, so that is a winning idea for future blog material in my book.

RPSchmidt
06-26-2018, 02:14 PM
Are people really expecting a .5 release only 6 months after 2018 is out? Nothing is different, they're not on a annual release schedule, LW development cycles generally last at least 2 to 3 years on average. Maybe a .5 next year. They're not on a annual release schedule like most everyone else.

It's in the works

It's in the works ;)

Matt
06-26-2018, 02:40 PM
I should clarify 2018.0.5

jwiede
06-26-2018, 03:08 PM
I should clarify 2018.0.5

Did the runaway memory consumption fix make it into .0.5?

papou
06-26-2018, 03:39 PM
That sounds like a good idea and a positive direction.
Y'know, I still think Lightwave was impacted by the loss of Flay.com (yeah I know that is going right back) as a source for LW news. These days I have no idea where to go to find out general LW news beyond this forum, (I'm really not a Facebook fan). So it'd be great to have a bit of a news desk and an outlet for anyone developing for LW as a 3rd party to be able to let the users know via the blog. You could make this easier to maintain by having a form to fill in for submissions. A paragraph of text (with guidelines to avoid the need to edit), a link, a pic and/or a video link.
You can use the lightwave assets database. it is better than nothing. (Flay or LwDataBase was better)
NT need to let users to edit descriptions and links, or add a way to post notes. Is they can't do themselve or if they do not have the knowledge anymore.
Too much dead links. Too much lost plugins. too much compatibility broken. Several compatibility had been restored but unupdated.

Chuck
06-26-2018, 03:44 PM

We're not taking questions about it, but will be sure to pass along nudges. Got a Case number?

Edit: I note that Matt mentioned that a Mac-specific problem mentioned in this thread is fixed: https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?157030-Lightwave-2018-0-4-and-memory-issues

There seems to be the possibility of a simillar bug under Windows, and I've asked for case numbers on that thread.

Matt
06-26-2018, 04:06 PM

I believe so

jwiede
06-26-2018, 07:02 PM
I believe so

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Revanto
06-26-2018, 09:18 PM
Chuck, I see a picture of you in your avatar but who's doing the talking here: You or the kitty?

Chuck
06-28-2018, 08:55 AM
Chuck, I see a picture of you in your avatar but who's doing the talking here: You or the kitty?

Well, Misha likes walking across or resting on keyboards but shows no inclination toward typing beyond the random results those actions produce, so if it's actual words in a reasonably coherent order, that's likely me. ;)

jwiede
06-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Well, Misha likes walking across or resting on keyboards but shows no inclination toward typing beyond the random results those actions produce

...that you've seen. :devil:

Chuck
06-28-2018, 01:54 PM
...that you've seen. :devil:

Ah, yes! We are talking about a cat, here...you never know what they are up to when you aren't looking! :)

jeric_synergy
06-28-2018, 02:56 PM
If you're taking blog SUBJECT suggestions, I suggest an extensive, heck, even a cursory look at the new SHAPES feature. :thumbsup:

Matt
07-02-2018, 04:56 PM
2018.0.5 is in your accounts

jwiede
07-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Installing now. Thanks to the LW team for all the hard work producing another update!

Greenlaw
07-02-2018, 05:43 PM
Yes, thank you Matt and the team! Downloading and installing as soon as I get home this evening.

jeric_synergy
07-02-2018, 06:10 PM

Bueno. Merci. ;)

rcallicotte
07-03-2018, 07:27 AM
Thanks Lightwave Team!!

RPSchmidt
07-03-2018, 08:19 AM
Awesome! Thanks for your hard work and really looking forward to more communication!

Matt
07-03-2018, 09:30 AM
BTW: There is a Mac crasher that is being addressed ASAP