PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster mix minus audio to teradek IFB

dpakman
06-22-2018, 01:53 PM
I'm working on a really specific problem and wondering whether I can make this work.

I'm getting the equipment I need to transmit remote video over IP to our studio with a Teradek Cube 655.

On the Tricaster end, the video over IP will come out of the Teradek Cube 675 decoder via SDI and into the Tricaster. No problem whatsoever so far.

The next issue is return audio back to the remote talent. The ideal return audio would be one that sends everything OTHER THAN the remote operator's own audio back to them. I believe this is a mix minus feed.

The technical issue is that the IFB plug on the Teradek decoder, to send audio back to the remote talent, is one of those iphone/android type plugs where both headphones and mic are on the same plug.

The important question then is: Is there some kind of cable such that I could get a Tricaster audio feed out and converted to one of those iphone/android type plugs, so that it will work correctly with the Teradek's IFB?

The equipment I currently have in studio is a Tricaster 410 WITHOUT Advanced Edition (maybe relevant for mix minus stuff, maybe not since the audio channels do have routing options you can set).

JPulera
06-22-2018, 02:09 PM
In Amazon search windows, enter: 4-pin 3.5mm microphone and headphone breakout adapter y-cable

Comes up with: C2G 27394 4-Pin 3.5mm Microphone and Headphone Breakout Adapter Y-Cable (6 Inch)

Amazon #B00006LHRF

I think this may do what you need, of course using additional adapters to TriCaster audio IN/OUT jacks to adapter from 3.5mm to 1/4" or XLR as needed (remember that the 3.5mm "headphone" breakout plug on adapter will be stereo).

As for Mix Minus, without AE just set that up via Audio Mixer on AUX 1 and should output via the 1/4" outs (2a-2b) on rear of 410. Meaning REMOVE talent audio source from AUX via checkbox. Just leave on Master.

Thanks

Jeff

dpakman
06-24-2018, 04:51 PM
In Amazon search windows, enter: 4-pin 3.5mm microphone and headphone breakout adapter y-cable

Comes up with: C2G 27394 4-Pin 3.5mm Microphone and Headphone Breakout Adapter Y-Cable (6 Inch)

Amazon #B00006LHRF

I think this may do what you need, of course using additional adapters to TriCaster audio IN/OUT jacks to adapter from 3.5mm to 1/4" or XLR as needed (remember that the 3.5mm "headphone" breakout plug on adapter will be stereo).

As for Mix Minus, without AE just set that up via Audio Mixer on AUX 1 and should output via the 1/4" outs (2a-2b) on rear of 410. Meaning REMOVE talent audio source from AUX via checkbox. Just leave on Master.

Thanks

Jeff

thank you, this is very useful! I'm looking at an image of the back of the tricaster. A couple of questions:

-- Do I want to connected audio out 2a, 2b, or phones to the adapter you linked?
-- If the tricaster operator is going to be listening to the remote talent's audio THROUGH the actual embedded SDI feed, do I even really need to have the return audio to the tricaster? in other words, if the embedded SDI already brings audio from the remote talent, and really this is for the remote talent to hear the mix minus from the tricaster, do i just leave the headphone part of the adapter you linked dangling/empty?
-- do you know specifically what adapter I'd need coming out of the tricaster aux audio to get it to interface correctly with the breakout adapter?