PDA

View Full Version : I hate being new to programs and asking horribly dumb things...

lyndze11
03-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Please, forgive me, I'm having to learn everything on my own, since my Comm Tech teacher knows jack all about the programs he buys... But anyways, when I smooth the object using the TAB button, the blue lines appear, extended from the object

ie: next post

Now, I was wondering if there was any way to make those invisible... I never see them on any tutorials.

My second question... and this is quite high in the "Oh, dear God" of idiocy, how do you render your object? I've attempted to go through the massive manual that came with LW, but the size was just so intimidating... heh...

So if anyone can please help out my novice self, I'd be grately appreciated.

mE

lyndze11
03-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Okay, here's the blue lines...

mE

DarkEkko
03-08-2003, 12:57 AM
those blue lines are called 'cages'

hit the 'd' key to bring up the display options

deselect the option 'show cages'

on the same note, the cages show the un-patched objects polys

and the 'show guides' option creates the same blue lines, only creating blue lines from the subpatched vertice to the unpatched vertice.

have fun :D

DarkEkko
03-08-2003, 01:00 AM
heh, missed the second part of your post

hit f9 to render your current frame (after taking your object into layout), f10 to render your animation according to your render settings (render>render options @ the top of layout window), and f11 to render the current frame and only the selected item(s)

lone
03-08-2003, 05:26 PM
one thing to keep in mind - if you are rendering a still frame, you save it after the render, but if you are rendering an actual scene, you have to set up your save file BEFORE you hit F10 (and yes, i found that out the hard way). this is done thru render options.

RobinWood
03-09-2003, 12:46 AM
If you haven't done this before, there is more to it than hitting F9.

First, go to the Render button at the top left corner of Layout. That will give you a drop down menu. Choose Render Options. That will open the Render Options dialog. (Called a Requester in Lightwave.)

In the second section, you will see something that says, "Show Rendering in Progress." You can choose a size there, and it will show you the rendering while Lightwave makes it.

Immediately below that, it says "Render Display." You must choose one there, (I recommend Image Viewer FP) or the render will vanish when you hit "continue" in the render preview.

Once you have done that, you need to click on the Camera button at the bottom, and then click on Item Properties button next to it.

That will open the Camera Properties requester.

At the bottom of the first section there, you will see a blue button labeled Segment Memory Limit. Click on it, to open the Segment Memory Limit requester. The default limit is very low, and will cause even the simplest pictures to be rendered in two halves, taking extra time. Change the number there to something like 100 MB, or whatever you think your computer can afford. Click OK. When the next requester pops up, asking if this should be the new default, click Yes.

Now hit F9, and watch your image render.

When it's finished, click "Continue" at the top right corner of the Render Preview. (It will be dimmed until it's ready to go.)

That will open the Image Viewer. To save the image, click on the File button in the upper left, choose Save RGBA from the menu there, and pick your format. The rest is self-explanatory.

Nearly everything in LW has to be enabled twice, for some reason. So, if you want to render with ray-traced shadows, you need to enable those shadows for each light you want to cast them (in the Light's Item Properties, on by default,) and also globally (there's a toggle under the Rendering Button in the upper right.)

Feel free to ask if you get stumped about any of that. Don't worry about asking questions that "should" have obvious answers. They may not, like this one; and we were all beginners at one point.

Lightwolf
03-09-2003, 09:40 AM
Hi lyndze11,

this may sound intimidating to you, but do yourself a favour, grab the huge manual over the weekend and read it.

That's what I tell all my interns before they're allowed to ask me questions, and most of them thank me for it... afterwards ;)

(Yeah, I know, I can be a mean bastard :) )

It is worth it, even if you don't remember everything afterwards, but you'll at least remember "oh there was something I read about that, let's look it up".
I'm with LW since 4.0, and I still read every new manual I get from front to back (it's a good read as well...)

Hm, may be I'm just a nerd :rolleyes:

Epita
03-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Yeah read the manual over a weekend and mess about with LW as much you can. If you still cant get your head round it go out and buy a book on beggining to use lightwave, or get your teach toget one.

Epita

blinblue
03-27-2003, 01:57 PM
I would suggest the book "inside lightwave 7" by Dan Ablan and published by New Riders. It is REALLY helpful, I used to be a newbie like you (now I am a less of a newbie:p ). But in 10 days (doing a chapter a day) you will learn basicly all you really need to know for making any model you want. The book is 1000 pages long, but a lot of that is pictures. It comes with a CD with all the models (and more) that you will make. This is a great book and you should really get it if you want a jump start on your LW manual.

Rory_L
03-28-2003, 12:51 AM
Seconded! It`s a good resource.

And it`ll show you that character modeling is not best started from a ball, though it does look like the obvious choice, doesn`t it? Unfortunately, all those triangles at the top of your character`s head won`t render nicely.

Cheers,

R