PDA

View Full Version : GPU Rendering -- One BIG Card, Or Multiple Smaller Cards?

paulk
06-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Is it possible to beat a single 1080Ti video card by using multiple 1080 or even 1070 video cards for GPU rendering? Stipulated, multiple 1080Ti cards would be nice, but my credit card just said "WTF, Man?!?!?!"

Is Bang For The Buck a valid approach?

Sensei
06-20-2018, 01:03 PM
LightWave does not have built-in GPU renderer. You should ask on Octane forum/author directly instead.

tyrot
06-20-2018, 03:53 PM
https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/results.php?v=3.06.2&sort_by=avg&filter=&singleGPU=1

there you go .. you will find your answers.. these are for OCTANE of course.

I go really cheap 780 or 780Tis for most of my scenes .. dual or triple GPU rendering. Instead of one big system i have 3 smaller very cheap but fast systems. Only real bottleneck is 3GB ram.. but out of core texture memory saved my butt ALOT...

if you are in a budget ... go for multiple cards... BTW yes you may need more watt in your PSU but you can go find super cheap - ex mining rig second hand PSU... lots of guys quitting mining ... all the hardware will return to US!!!! renderers!

jwiede
06-20-2018, 05:10 PM
The main balancing act you'll need to do, weighing cheaper 1060s-1080s against a 1080ti or Titan Xp, is reconcile your VRAM/perf needs. If your GPU renderer supports out-of-core textures, etc. then you'll need less VRAM total, but will take a significant performance hit as well. OTOH, people have been getting by without 1080ti- / TitanXp-sized VRAM pools for quite some time, so unless your needs are extreme, you'll probably be fine in that regard. As always, it's about understanding how your specific needs compare to the specific properties of the hardware you're considering, and then deciding trade-offs from there.