PDA

View Full Version : Erratic Behavior when Clicking [2015.3 Layout]

gra
06-18-2018, 03:06 PM
when i click in the viewports to navigate or move something in layout, i can never know whether Layout will react in the way i intended or decide to interpret my click in an unpredictable way. it is very frustrating when i'm trying to navigate close to something then throws me far away from what i was looking at and i have to navigate back to where i was. or when i'm trying to move something precisely and decides to translate it to the other side of the scene.

i am using a high dpi monitor, but windows scaling is at 100% (aka off).
i do use a tablet from time to time, but Preferences/General/Input Device is set to mouse.
the follow item option is turned off in all the viewports.
i have access to 2018, but this is for an older project that would take too long to port over.

please help.
thank you.

Snosrap
06-18-2018, 07:33 PM
If you use your tablet you should set LW input device to tablet. Setting it to tablet won't keep the mouse from working as expected from my experience.

gra
06-19-2018, 07:25 AM
If you use your tablet you should set LW input device to tablet. Setting it to tablet won't keep the mouse from working as expected from my experience.

when i use my tablet i do set "Input Device" to "Tablet" (it's pretty impossible to use a tablet with LW without that adjusting that setting, imo).

right now i am concerned about solving this problem using a regular mouse in LW with "Input Device" set to "Mouse"

Kryslin
06-19-2018, 07:51 AM
On the two machines I run LW on, my desktop has more mouse related issues than the laptop. The difference is the mice - The desktop has a High DPI gaming mouse (currently set @ 800 dpi, which is pretty low), but when it's set higher (1600, 3200, 4800, 6400), I start having issues with twitchiness... In LW and other apps as well (GIMP, Firefox, Rhino to name a few). My laptop mouse is a bog standard 400 dpi wireless mouse. I have none of these issues on my laptop.

So thta's leading me to think it could be either the OS, or the low level routines used to access the mouse. At least, on my end. (Both machines are Win10 Pro, i7 processors (2.6Ghz on the laptop and 3.2 Ghz on the desktop), with varying amounts of Ram.)

Someone around here mentioned a 3rd party program to help with mouse issues. I was experiencing random double clicking, and this utility not only helped with the double clickiness, but also helped with the twitchiness as well.

gra
06-19-2018, 08:26 AM
@Kryslin i am using a gamer mouse as well (logitech 602). when set to 500 dpi it's ultra twitchy. setting it to 250 dpi helps bring the frequency of twitching down, but it's still happening and everything is stair stepped and i loose precision.

i don't have any issues with other apps with my mouse clicks jumping around.

machine specs:
Intel Xeon E5-2650 (2x)
32 GB
NVIDIA 1070 (2x)
Windows 10 Pro

gra
06-20-2018, 01:21 PM
if it's worth anything to anybody, using a mouse with "Input Devices" set to "Tablet" seems to remedy the issue. Although you do loose the ability to endlessly drag/navigate.

jwiede
06-20-2018, 05:25 PM
if it's worth anything to anybody, using a mouse with "Input Devices" set to "Tablet" seems to remedy the issue. Although you do loose the ability to endlessly drag/navigate.

Using a mouse with LW set to "tablet" mode is likely to create/exacerbate other actions, unfortunately, often incl. areas like graph editor manipulation, viewport manipulation, and so forth.

If it works for you, consider yourself lucky, but it's not a particularly safe/reliable "general practice for Lightwave users".

Snosrap
06-20-2018, 09:48 PM

I think that's what I said. :)

Using a mouse with LW set to "tablet" mode is likely to create/exacerbate other actions, unfortunately, often incl. areas like graph editor manipulation, viewport manipulation, and so forth.

If it works for you, consider yourself lucky, but it's not a particularly safe/reliable "general practice for Lightwave users".

That has not been my experience in the course of 12 years of using a tablet with the various LW versions during that time. Of course I use just a run of the mill mouse, so that might have something to do with my good luck. :)

gerry_g
06-21-2018, 04:20 AM
but tablets come with a tablet mouse which is totally non contentious and causes no conflict so why are you not using that, I have a trackball and a space pilot plugged in alongside my tablet and all seem fine but the point about problems with the graph editor seems a good one, the way you select and manipulate things with a pen is totally different to a mouse which I think is partly down to NewTeks approach to how it integrates tablet functionality, case in point, my pen buttons are set to a custom configuration which in Modo has no bearing on how I am able to select any custom menu but in Lightwave L,M,R button menus are only partially functional unless I go back to running my pen totally vanilla