PDA

View Full Version : Odd DDR/GFX behavior on TriCaster 460AE

jrwilling
06-18-2018, 01:38 PM
Been seeing this odd behavior for a while now, so seems like it is time to throw it out here and see if there are any insights.

TriCaster 460, Advanced Edition (should be current build unless there has been a new release in the last month), Control Surface, mix of SDI and NDI inputs.

Randomly, with no apparent rhyme or reason all of the DDR/GFX inputs will go black. The displays on the multiscreen for DDR1, DDR2, GFX1, GFX2 will go black, and the only way I have found to get them back is to choose something other than the currently selected element (clip, graphic, etc.). And I have to do this for each affected channel. I.E. selecting a new graphic on GFX1 does not restore GFX2, same with the DDRs. If the DDR/GFX is in use when this happens, it is reflected on the outputs as well.

The 'trigger' for finally posting this was over the weekend I was in the middle of a live stream event and had a lower third graphic up when the random black-out occurred and the selected graphic just went away. Little embarrassing that!

When it decides to occur, does not seem to matter if any of the DDR/GFX channels are actively in use or not. They will just randomly go black.

Anyone else run into this syndrome? And of so, any insights on how to get it to stop happening?

Thanks;

SBowie
06-18-2018, 01:44 PM
This would seem to me to indicate that a DDR is crashing. It's not sooooo terribly unusual for this to happen is the DDR is choking on some non-standard or corrupt media.

joseburgos
06-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Are you using the import media function?

jrwilling
06-19-2018, 03:07 PM
Are you using the import media function?

Not at the times of the blackouts. I do have some previously imported media sitting in the DDR's but are not actively using any of it at the moment.

jrwilling
06-19-2018, 03:11 PM
This would seem to me to indicate that a DDR is crashing. It's not sooooo terribly unusual for this to happen is the DDR is choking on some non-standard or corrupt media.

Interesting... I do have some previously imported media sitting in the DDR's but none of it is actively running or being output anywhere when these blackouts are occurring.
Only things that I am currently using with any regularity are some lower third graphics with dynamically inserted text via Datalink, but all of those were based off of the example graphics that came pre-loaded on the system so I would not expect those to be odd enough to cause this.

SBowie
06-19-2018, 03:42 PM
It's more likely to be a clip than a still. It need not be used in the production to act up, just sitting in the Playlist can do it sometimes. Otherwise, I'd suggest updating and trying a new session.

jrwilling
06-20-2018, 08:31 PM
OK, appreciate the insight. Since I'm not using the clips I'll probably either delete them or just create a new session and see if that clears it up.

Thanks;

Red Dog Records
06-29-2018, 10:25 PM
James,

We had the same thing happen while using a live set. All the elements showing in the ME would suddenly disappear and the liveset would revert to it's default setting (camera pulled all the way out). The only way we could fix it was to select a different 'tab' for the GFX1 and GFX2 and both DDR set ups. By 'selecting a new tab', I mean the ones that appear when your mouse is close to the edge of the screen while over the DDR or GFX area. It was like all of my media was suddenly gone. All media will still show up in my GFX or DDR area, I just can't select anything.

The issue was, of course, intermittent. I left the system running (recording and streaming) for a week straight. (I did have to delete the recorded files every couple of days) I thought the unit was getting hot and maybe a drive was failing or something. We were able to get it to fail a couple of times during testing and we sent logs, all media files, etc to support.

We set up new sessions, completely recreated everything. Currently we are still testing to see if it will fail again.

It was almost comical, it would only fail within the first 3 minutes of a live event. (not the first 3 minutes of streaming/recording). Wait...maybe 'comical' isn't the right word.

Still testing on this end.
Let me know if you have any breakthrough on your end.

Andrew

SBowie
06-30-2018, 06:19 AM
By 'selecting a new tab', I mean the ones that appear when your mouse is close to the edge of the screen while over the DDR or GFX area. It was like all of my media was suddenly gone. All media will still show up in my GFX or DDR area, I just can't select anything.These 'tabs' are called "MEMs", basically being a slot in which you can store and recall the current state of alternative playlists. If one of those playlists had unsuitable media in it, it's possible that switching to another allowed play to resume once the DDR had recovered from a crash.

stanarthur
07-02-2018, 09:52 AM
I just posted a similar thread to this one with slightly different language that might shed some light on this. I'm using some of the same assets I've used for years. This issue never showed up before I started using AE2.

Lee-AVP
07-09-2018, 12:44 PM
We had one update cycle where our old sessions had lots of media issues. Importing the same media into a new session after the update resolved those issues. Worth a try, even just as a diagnostic. I know rebuilding sessions cna be a pain.

jrwilling
07-14-2018, 04:03 PM
No new revelations so far... Tried just removing all of the old clips from the session to see if that would help, but it still keeps occurring.
Was going to start down the track of creating a new session from scratch to 'start clean' as it were, and noticed that there was an update to AE available. Worth a shot, eh?
Installed without any apparent issues, except when I reopened my session I find that ALL of the graphics have been deleted from the session?!? 'da freak???

So, guess that's my 'clean' start. Bit rude tho.

So I start reloading my graphics pages and a new oddity arises. Load all of my 'static' graphics to GFX1 with no issues. Load all of my graphics with datalink 'keys' in them to GFX2
and while they show up, I can not get them to display or accept the dynamic datalink text insertions.

Oh yeah, this just keeps getting better!