PDA

View Full Version : OBJ seq to MDD or alembic

mummyman
06-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Any way to cache a changing OBJ sequence to another file format? Crappy thing is.. the point order and amounts are changing, as it's fluid-ish polygonizer from XSI. I believe alembic handles this type of thing in other programs (changing point counts) but in LW... jumbled mess.

UG.

Ztreem
06-15-2018, 09:23 AM
If the point order and amount of polys is changing then the only choice if you want to use Lw is obj sequence. The Alembic format supports changing topology but Lw doesn't support this yet, what I know of.

mummyman
06-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Thanks! That's kinda what I thought. I double checked in 2018 just in case.. same result with alembic. I submitted a feature request.

jwiede
06-15-2018, 09:43 PM
The failure to keep up with "current" Alembic is really kind of verging on "bug" status. If something says it supports Alembic, customers expect it to support _current_ Alembic (in full).

CaptainMarlowe
06-16-2018, 12:54 AM
Agreed, a full support of alembic with point order change would be great for importing fluids.

mummyman
06-16-2018, 05:41 AM
And now that I'm stuck using .obj sequencer... god. That needs a complete fix as well. Absolutely no options other than shift frames. That has to be decades old by now. I've just never had a need for it, till now. To me, it acts a bit wonky like the image sequencer. Trying to use the same .obj sequence for multiple objects is very order specific. And, over my network, it's very shakey. It doesn't go back to "frame-1" easily, which, if you save your scene, screws up the start-frame. Odd. Oh well. I guess it does what it's meant to do. Bring in an object on every frame. But it'd be nice to see it be able to cache back out to a useable format.

ianr
06-16-2018, 08:13 AM
The failure to keep up with "current" Alembic is really kind of verging on "bug" status. If something says it supports Alembic, customers expect it to support _current_ Alembic (in full).

All file exchangers are promo to keep LW in pipeline
So must get at least a 0.5 cycle brush up please take
on board LW3DG