PDA

View Full Version : Delayed Video

Bavltd
12-29-2003, 03:01 AM
I have recently bought a VT2 system (I'm still waiting for my VT3 upgrade to arrive!) and do a lot of live event production relaying cameras to projection screens. I have noticed a serious delay on the output of the toaster (SX8) when going to the screens or local monitors.

If I clap my hands once a second the image that appears on the screens is about seconds behind. The image that appears on toastervision seems to be ok. When a camera is connected direct to the monitor/projector everything is fine. Going composite, YC or YUV makes no difference

It appears that the more information there is on the screen the longer the delay is.

Playout from the DDR is fine and insync with itself so I am putting it down to the VT2 processing the input to the output

Has anyone experienced this before or is using their system in this environment?

I have a Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz system with a supermicro motherboard, 1Gb memory

Thanks for your help

Jonathan

Jim Capillo
12-29-2003, 05:24 AM
First, try using your "PA" output to the external amplifier.

bradl
12-29-2003, 03:38 PM
I don't do live but here is some details I have read in previous threads. Search the forum for yourself as I may not have it all right.

There are steps you can take to minimize the delay which can be up to 3 frames out of VT3. Your projector could add another 2 or 3 as well as any other gear like Line-Doublers. Paul reported that adding the GENLOCK option can get VT delay down to 2 frames.

Some have reported the BOB causes delay compared to straight out without the BOB, but I don't think there is an official word on that. Could easily be tested in the field. (I don't own a BOB).

See the thread for lots of discussion about it:
Video Processing Delay? (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12376)

Bavltd
01-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Thanks Guys. I have measured the delay this morning and it is 9 frames. The out of the Bob seems ok.

If you have any more ideas let me know.