PDA

View Full Version : MEMORY SETTINGS in OS X 7.5b -- ??!?

MStrickland
03-07-2003, 10:10 PM
I saw it, and stared in disbelief. There they are, in Modeler, Layout, and the Hub.

This is OS X, the best memory-managing OS I've ever seen.

So why are those old pre-OS X Memory Settings there in the "get info" dialog?

I've already read of problems some people are having opening large objects and complex scenes. Are we stepping into the past here?

First, I'd like to know why, and second, I might do a little stepping into the "past" myself -- right back to 7.5.

Michael
:confused:

Beamtracer
03-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that. Lightwave is a Carbon app (which means the OS X version is mainly modified OS9 code), so it may have something to do with Carbon apps. I don't know if these memory settings are even operable in OS X, as OS X has dynamic memory management.

If you look at the Cocoa apps, they don't have this setting. Some of the Cocoa apps are Mail, or OmniWeb browser etc.

MStrickland
03-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
Yeah, I've noticed that. Lightwave is a Carbon app (which means the OS X version is mainly modified OS9 code), so it may have something to do with Carbon apps. I don't know if these memory settings are even operable in OS X, as OS X has dynamic memory management.

If you look at the Cocoa apps, they don't have this setting. Some of the Cocoa apps are Mail, or OmniWeb browser etc.

Yeah, I guess it just scared me, because I don't ever want to go back to that antiquated requirement to manually adjust ram allocation. But it seems you can't change them, so I guess I'll just ignore them. It still makes me wonder why they're there at all. Maybe a small, irrelevant oversight? (I don't know if they were there in OS X 7.5, but I don't remember ever seeing them.)

Michael

luka
03-08-2003, 08:52 PM
OMG:eek: There is a memory setting in LW7.5 OSX version?

mlinde
03-09-2003, 10:42 AM
According to the apple developer docs, the memory settings for Carbon apps do not apply when the app is running in OS X.

And no, Luka, there are no memory settings for ANY application in OS X. OS X uses dynamic memory allocation, which will give & take memory from each application as it needs it. This is counter-intuitive to anyone who has lived a mac-only life, but has been a more advanced method of memory management utilized by other, more advanced OS's for a decade or more (Remember that OS 9 is still a 20 year old OS, regardless of the fancy updates).

You should be able to read up about this, if you want, somewhere in Apple's OS X documentation.

luka
03-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
According to the apple developer docs, the memory settings for Carbon apps do not apply when the app is running in OS X.

And no, Luka, there are no memory settings for ANY application in OS X. OS X uses dynamic memory allocation, which will give & take memory from each application as it needs it. This is counter-intuitive to anyone who has lived a mac-only life, but has been a more advanced method of memory management utilized by other, more advanced OS's for a decade or more (Remember that OS 9 is still a 20 year old OS, regardless of the fancy updates).

Irealise that. I've been using mac for about 13 years. It's just that I was shocked to see the memory panel on LW app? I thought it was a full cocoa app. So LW is a carbonised app, I wonder if that could account for the slower rendering performance, compared to windoze LW. Can we get someone from engineering to comment on this please? .:cool:

Beamtracer
03-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Carbon apps should not be any slower than Cocoa apps. Lightwave's rendering speed won't have anything to do with whether it is Carbon or Cocoa.

You may be interested to know that Maya is also a Carbon app, like Lightwave. I believe that C4D is also. There may be other pros and cons about Carbon Vs Cocoa, but rendering speed aint one of them.

Lightwave still has its Segment Memory Limit panel in the Camera Properties section. I sometimes wonder why this still needs to be set manually.

luka
03-09-2003, 06:03 PM
[i]You may be interested to know that Maya is also a Carbon app, like Lightwave. I believe that C4D is also. There may be other pros and cons about Carbon Vs Cocoa, but rendering speed aint one of them.[/B]

Actually Maya, PiXELS3DX and formz.4.0 are full cocoa apps.

Beamtracer
03-09-2003, 07:38 PM
When Maya first came out on OS X, I remember they announced it was a Carbon app. At that time, it couldn't take advantage of many OS X functions, such as multiprocessing.

Now, I thought that all Cocoa apps automatically take advantage of multiprocessing, wherease Carbon apps have to be written to take advantage of it.

It also surprised me that A/W would make a Carbon port of Maya, when they had no previous legacy Mac code to preserve.

So... I still believe that Maya is a Carbon app.

luka
03-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Hey I just check the get info on Maya PLE 4.5 it hasn't got a memory pane. So that must make it a cocoa app.:cool:

Chazz
03-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Maya 4.5 is NOT a Cocoa app...3.5 and on were built with the Carbon libraries. There is no memory settings panel because it doesn't function in OS9. Maya, as with most ports and cross-platform apps, was written in Carbon because Cocoa has a different class structure than C++. It's also a myth that Cocoa apps are somehow better or faster than Carbon....not true.