PDA

View Full Version : Sending an Object through, and interacting with, a Hypervoxel Cloud.

JMCarrigan
06-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Is it possible to send an Object through a Hypervoxel type Cloud and interact with it - kind of like a slow moving bullet or train? I have Lightwave 3D versions 11.6 and 2018.

If so, kind of point me in the right direction, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Even knowing would help.

I've been designing cards and had a thought.

ernpchan
06-11-2018, 07:40 PM
I think you need TFD to do something like this. You can move your object through particles with hyoervoxels but it won't behave like a fluid simulation.

jwiede
06-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Well, you can have the hv particles interact with the moving vehicle, and if they're small enough volume each, you can get some passable cloud/smoke-type interactions using just pfx-level dynamics (given adequately small hv scales, careful 3D texturing, and tweaking of forces/dynamics), but it'll all depend on just how detailed and accurate you need things to appear. If you're looking for the cloud/smoke to follow contours and swirl around the object's contours realistically, that's moving into the realm where you'd want to use something more like TFD (or perhaps even RealFlow, depending on just how "aerodynamically accurate" you need the cloud/smoke to perform.

prometheus
06-12-2018, 04:49 AM
Search for intro to star trek voyager series
where the ship is traveling through nebula gases..made with particles and hypervoxels, it can be made but better fluid motion can be made with fluids.

If you have turbulenceFD, that may be the way to go, or invest in it..if money is a factor, use blender fluids at no cost..and do the simulation there, import to openVDB since you have 2018.

JMCarrigan
06-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Thank you everyone. It at least looks doable. I'll research. REsearch? I'll search! I've already looked at Terragen 4. Thanks again.

jwiede
06-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Just how accurate do you feel you need to model the flow of clouds/smoke around the object(s)? Can you describe the scenario a bit better?

Are you mostly attempting to generate realistic cloudscapes for fly-throughs, or is the focus mostly about how clouds/smoke flow specifically around the object?

Having a bit more info will definitely help us provide better suggestions.

paulk
06-12-2018, 11:54 AM
There's a group volume discount purchase program going on now for TFD: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?157280-New-TurbulenceFD-Group-Buy-in!-(Round-3!-IGNITE!). The more people who sign up (hint, hint), the cheaper it gets!!

Greenlaw
06-12-2018, 01:15 PM
I've faked fluid-like cloud/vapor effects with hypervoxels using cloth dynamics like Bullet Deforming. The cloth can be affected with wind forces or objects, and 'ripple' or deform like it's a fluid.

When you apply hypervoxels to the object, the hv effect will render at the vertices, just like particles. If you Deactivate the object in Scene Editor to make the mesh invisible, the hypervoxels will still render.

The advantage to doing it this way is that regular particles tend to scatter when disturbed but a cloth element can have more cohesion and gradually flow back into its normal shape. Depending on your goal, this can look more fluid like.

But, yeah, these days I would probably use TFD for that. It will look more realistic.

prometheus
06-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Neonvisual did a nice job trying to recreate the Star Trek voyager intro, but with more modern technology such as using TurbulenceFD.
You can see a compare shot from the recreated one with ship flying through fluids(left) and ship flying trough a particle field and hypervoxels...many years ago (right)
While I like the fluid motion in the recreated scene, I tend to like the actual coloring and dissolve in the old original scene a bit better.

Edit..what the...what has happened to editing post advanced and adding videos as embedded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPvPIZATrYs

JMCarrigan
06-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Just how accurate do you feel you need to model the flow of clouds/smoke around the object(s)? Can you describe the scenario a bit better?

Are you mostly attempting to generate realistic cloudscapes for fly-throughs, or is the focus mostly about how clouds/smoke flow specifically around the object?

Having a bit more info will definitely help us provide better suggestions.

Like the Picture I provided in my initial Question. I do single images (for now) used for cards or prints. I would like to poke my saucer Object through some clouds in a few ways. So far, the only thing I've done is composite some misty like clouds over my "saucer" shape. I would really like to be able to see some clouds swirl around the saucer's arrival.

JMCarrigan
06-12-2018, 04:44 PM
There's a group volume discount purchase program going on now for TFD: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?157280-New-TurbulenceFD-Group-Buy-in!-(Round-3!-IGNITE!). The more people who sign up (hint, hint), the cheaper it gets!!

Umm. What is the range in price. Is it very expensive? What do you thing one is looking at. (I know. Rule C15 of the English Handbook.)

JMCarrigan
06-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Neonvisual did a nice job trying to recreate the Star Trek voyager intro, but with more modern technology such as using TurbulenceFD.
You can see a compare shot from the recreated one with ship flying through fluids(left) and ship flying trough a particle field and hypervoxels...many years ago (right)
While I like the fluid motion in the recreated scene, I tend to like the actual coloring and dissolve in the old original scene a bit better.

Edit..what the...what has happened to editing post advanced and adding videos as embedded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPvPIZATrYs

Thanks! I don't understand the Edit...what the...etc.

erikals
06-13-2018, 02:25 AM
videos as embedded?

seems to work ... testvideo unrelated to subject >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTOUlmw-csA

in regards to subject...

I think you need TFD to do something like this.

yes, seems to be the best way

prometheus
06-13-2018, 03:46 AM
Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I don't understand the Edit...what the...etc.

That was just me being frustrated that I suddenly couldnīt post in advanced mode and embed the video directly in the thread as I use to do, it Had nothing to do with you or your post.

JMCarrigan
06-13-2018, 10:16 AM
seems to work ... testvideo unrelated to subject >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTOUlmw-csA

in regards to subject...

yes, seems to be the best way

I AM thinking about it, but it's too if'y for me at the moment. Too strapped. Can't get a response on the post by -paulk- referring to another post by -djlithium- not that I should as I probably can't afford it now anyway and the deadline tomorrow (6/14/18) is too soon. And THANKS!

prometheus
06-13-2018, 10:23 AM
I AM thinking about it, but it's too if'y for me at the moment. Too strapped. Can't get a response on the post by -paulk- referring to another post by -djlithium- not that I should as I probably can't afford it now anyway and the deadline tomorrow (6/14/18) is too soon. And THANKS!

Well..price is an issue and a deadline tomorrow, if it werenīt for the deadline..you should go for blender fluids and import it to Lightwave 2018 with OpenVDB, but as time is a factor...and you would have to take a day or more to lear a bit about fluids, then also tweak it good enough, that wonīt do either, go for post edition with photoshop or something else...since itīs a still.

jbrookes
06-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Interesting. In some ways the original is still better (especially the dissolve -- as you mentioned).