PDA

View Full Version : The Future of TFD

rcallicotte
06-11-2018, 08:54 AM
I recently asked Jascha what his plans are for TFD. Here was his answer -

Hello Rob,

1./2.) I can't give definite availability or dates for specific plugins yet. Generally the plan is to support all 3D hosts including LW and Modo. But it's not clear yet in which order and when they will become available.
However, we'll have a standalone application from the beginning that can interface with other applications through various file formats. This will ensure that you can use it regardless of the other 3D apps in your pipeline until a specific plugin becomes available.

3.) I assume you mean a general idea for the release date? I do have an ballpark aim, but i had these several times in the past already before upgrading the goals and consequently pushing the release date further. So at this point, until i'm certain that it will become a reality, i must refrain from giving a date.

4.) Yes. Liquids will probably not be in the first release, but it's among the favorite features. The main focus of the first release is to be a platform on which we can prototype and build new features much faster. But it also includes a feature set like you would expect from TFD2.

--
Jascha Wetzel
Jawset Visual Computing
Munich, Germany

erikals
06-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Thank You for sharing Rob!    https://i.imgur.com/tJGL61i.png

rcallicotte
06-12-2018, 05:22 AM
I love the idea of a standalone app!

You're welcome.

Thomas Leitner
06-15-2018, 10:17 AM
I love the idea of a standalone app!...

Hi,
a standalone application seems the wrong direction for me: I want a integrated solution. That is the power of TurbulenceFD for Lightwave. If we have to use an other application for fluid simulations we could use one of the already exsiting ones (what we sometimes already do, for other reasons).

...However, we'll have a standalone application from the beginning that can interface with other applications through various file formats. This will ensure that you can use it regardless of the other 3D apps in your pipeline until a specific plugin becomes available...

However, I understand Jaschas quote like that he is planning a specific plugin for Lightwave anyway.
I hope that we do not have to wait too long for a new release.

ciao
Thomas

thomascheng
06-15-2018, 12:56 PM
I hope we don't have to pay for each plugin. It just make things complicated.

jwiede
06-15-2018, 09:30 PM
I hope we don't have to pay for each plugin. It just make things complicated.

Agreed, or if so, the cost at least just reflects the per-pkg integration effort, not the entire pkg over and over.

BTW, what is the situation w.r.t. TFD and Mac LW2018, for those in that situ? While my demo was active, I don't recall having much luck getting then-current TFD working, but apparently there's a more recent TFD update that supposedly works with LW2018. For licensed Mac TFD + LW2018 users, what's the stability like?

rcallicotte
06-23-2018, 12:59 PM
I've found the stability good. But, in 2018 under Render Properties, Volumetrics, check 'Use Legacy Volumetrics' to be able to use the latest version.

Agreed, or if so, the cost at least just reflects the per-pkg integration effort, not the entire pkg over and over.

BTW, what is the situation w.r.t. TFD and Mac LW2018, for those in that situ? While my demo was active, I don't recall having much luck getting then-current TFD working, but apparently there's a more recent TFD update that supposedly works with LW2018. For licensed Mac TFD + LW2018 users, what's the stability like?

acharris
06-24-2018, 02:41 PM
I am glad that liquid simulations will be in future versions of TFD.

So far the current version of TFD for Mac and LW 2018 works well, though you do need to usr legacy volumetrics. Hopefully a future version will include the ability to use the new volumetrics system or at least allow us to export to OpenVDB.

Does anyone know if we will need to pay to upgrade TFD to version 2.0?

OlaHaldor
06-25-2018, 02:53 AM
I purchased TFD in 2012.. I doubt v2 will be free. :) It's been in development for *years*!

Thomas Leitner
06-25-2018, 08:59 AM
....Hopefully a future version will include the ability to use the new volumetrics system or at least allow us to export to OpenVDB...
Hi,
TFD allready can export to OpenVDB.
Here is a test we have done. Simulated in TFD and rendered in LW 2018:

ciao
Thomas

acharris
06-26-2018, 12:58 PM
Hi,

ciao
Thomas

Thats great news! I only recently started working with TFD so I missed that feature

prometheus
06-27-2018, 06:48 AM
Hi,

ciao
Thomas

That is Promising Thomas, I like the billowing detail you got there, for it to reach even more realism, I think those billow details needs scale variance though.
Maybe even more variance in the main shape build up as well, a darker bottom since light can not penetrate that deep in to the volume.

Did you do one or more simulations and added more volume vdb items, or did you just use one simulation?

Feel free to cross post it in the clouds thread we have as well, it is helpful as a possible technique showcase for that cloud thread.

Thomas Leitner
06-27-2018, 07:55 AM
That is Promising Thomas, I like the billowing detail you got there, for it to reach even more realism, I think those billow details needs scale variance though.
Maybe even more variance in the main shape build up as well, a darker bottom since light can not penetrate that deep in to the volume...

Because I did the simulation in TFD 2 years ago I do not remember all the details of the process. But the emitter object was modelled very quick and rough and of cause needs more love...

...Did you do one or more simulations and added more volume vdb items, or did you just use one simulation?...

I did 2 simulations for easier control and in this rendering I used 2 VDB volumes.

ciao
Thomas