PDA

View Full Version : Surfaces black in modeler/layout, but render fine?

objuan
06-07-2018, 12:05 AM
A client sent me an object, I think they got it from Turbosquid. It seems to render fine, with a bunch of uv mapped texture maps - but in both modeler and layout previews it is almost all black, making it very hard to work with. If I bring other objects I made in, they behave normally.

What is going on? More importantly, how do I fix it?

objuan
06-07-2018, 12:27 AM
I thought maybe it was some strange setting I did not know about, but on closer investigation, most all of the surfaces have diffuse set to 0, and then have the same texture map as the color map mapped on diffuse, hence the rendering kind of okay.

Also all the trees and stuff with masks on planes have the invert set wrong, and a refraction of 1.5 which makes for some trippy nature.

Agghhh purchasing "ready made" media...

Sensei
06-07-2018, 08:09 AM
Black polygon can be a sign of wrong normal vector.
If you have e.g. quad which has one point in the same position as another, looking like triangle, normal vector can be incorrectly calculated. Vertexes could be not possible to be merged (due to different vertex map e.g. UV).

Did you try Merge Points, Unify Polys.. ?

Tim Parsons
06-07-2018, 09:23 PM
most all of the surfaces have diffuse set to 0, and then have the same texture map as the color map mapped on diffuse, hence the rendering kind of okay.

You hit the nail on the head - they are using some kind of diffuse map. Purchased assets usually always need work.

Oldcode
06-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Look in your Surface Editor and see if Diffuse is set low, or even at 0%. If yes, raise it to between 50% and 75% to start out and see how it looks/renders.

Good Luck,