PDA

View Full Version : LWO viewer/explorer for Windows or Linux?

tropicaljohnson
06-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a lwo viewer?

I cannot find a lwo file viewer for windows or linux..

Have tried:

3dBrowser - crashes/unstable
open3mod - crashes/unstable
TNG viewer - defunct
g3dviewer - works on linux only
deep exploration - defunct (this was the most complete image solution I have ever seen - worked like windows explorer and virtually all media file types - and it cost 3k US)

p3do explorer - seems to work - it is the only one?

There are online viewers - but I am looking for something installed locally.

I suppose it cannot be that complicated to build your own viewer using a browser and threeJS library, but I would have to convert all my models to obj as threeJS will not read lwo directly.. has anyone tried a DIY viewer?

I run Lightwave 11.6 on a Windows 7 64 bit workstation.

Ma3rk
06-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Odd that 3DBrowser isn't working for you. Been using it myself since then or before. A check of system vs. rec specs suggested.

The current version 13.51 on Win7 doesn't recognize 2018 objects but got a reply back from them the other day that an updated version is immenent as in a weekish.

Sensei
06-04-2018, 03:30 PM
LW 2018.x has completely new file format..

jwiede
06-04-2018, 03:58 PM
Has Newtek even made the the LWO3 file format specification public yet? LWO3 (the new version of .LWO file format spec, prior was LWO2) exists, first officially released in and used by LW2018 (AFAICT), but I don't believe the "official format spec" is publicly available yet.

Sensei
06-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Description of file format is in LWSDK, which you can get after downloading and installing trial or full version of LW.

tropicaljohnson
06-05-2018, 07:00 AM
That is what I tried, 3DBrowser light edition v.13.51, crashes on my system - any suggestions for an alternative?

Ma3rk
06-05-2018, 09:14 AM
That is what I tried, 3DBrowser light edition v.13.51, crashes on my system - any suggestions for an alternative?

Crashes just starting up or with particular file or folder?

jwiede
06-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Description of file format is in LWSDK, which you can get after downloading and installing trial or full version of LW.

Interesting, it wasn't available when I looked before, but it is available in the (separate) LW2018 SDK download now. Thanks!

tcoursey
06-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Yea use 3D Browser here for many years. I mainly use the explorer thumbnail feature, don't open the program much...except for Polygon Cruncher occasionally. Sorry it's not working for you. Maybe you can reach out to developer and see if a crash report could help. Might be a unique situation with your machine/memory etc...