PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing problem with principled surface

dnch
05-31-2018, 02:18 AM
Anyone else having this problem? the screenshot is from surface preview so it shouldnt be caused by bad object.

djwaterman
05-31-2018, 04:55 AM
Anisotropic is the culprit here, I think it needs a UV map, just something I heard I think, not sure. Testing.

djwaterman
05-31-2018, 05:08 AM
Anisotropy requires that there is a Projection node input otherwise you will get strange polygonal shapes in the render. From the PBR details in the help manual. https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Principled+BSDF

djwaterman
05-31-2018, 05:11 AM
In the node editor there is a heading called projections, and you will find the type you need in there and plug that into the projection input of the Principled shader.

dnch
05-31-2018, 05:24 AM
oh god, thank you very much !!!! i dont even use anisotropy in this project, its just the remain of some material testing, thanks again

prometheus
05-31-2018, 11:47 AM
The lw team needs to implement a pre-made principled shader that has this already set to some projection, there´s been a few questions on this topic since the release, Including myself who wondered what the heck was going on.

Sure you can use the presets etc, but the thing is that there will be many many more users experiencing this issue, make it right..and spare the community and users of things like this.

Tobian
06-01-2018, 05:16 AM
There is actually a default projection, and that is the default UV of any object. Primitives, by default have a default UV - and you can assign any UV maps on any object either at creation (make default UV is an option in create UV map) or set it using the vertex map editor. I think if one is not set it will use the first UV in an object, but then most people in LW land don't bother to make them, hence the issue here.

Begging the question, what projection should be used by 'default' for anisotropy? Cubic, planar, spherical?

djwaterman
06-01-2018, 09:15 AM
I have a feeling I spoke about this issue in some other thread, and suggested that it would be nice if as soon as you entered any sort of Anisotropic value, a projection node would automatically get plugged into the Principled shader, and perhaps prompt you to make a projection choice. I think it is quite an alien idea to the feel of LW and not worth the effort, as long as you can easily find out the existing solution, it's fine the way it is. The Principled shader really should be the first one given a breakdown in the manual, and promoted more with tutorials and so on. People need to make this their first choice of shader if possible, I would consider all the others as niche solutions for specific situations.

Tobian
06-01-2018, 09:36 AM
While I don't disagree with you, what you're talking about is a far more visual and automated version of LW than we know and love. LW is not so hot at auto-wiring, though it is possible. Personally I'd love tooltips to hover over things, which give hints like 'you need to assign a projection to use anisotropy correctly' if the value changes, but that's again a MASSIVE UI overhaul. The same paradigm applies for any of the shader materials (other than standard). I agree there could be more training material on PBSDF, there wasn't even a blog on it, which i found rediculous, it still stands are a pretty industry standard design, based on the same Disney/Pixar papers everyone else's is, so there's plenty of general advice on how it's used