PDA

View Full Version : Import fbx etc into Lightwave 2018

jaxtone
05-28-2018, 04:44 AM
No, do not say that Lightwave have removed all possibilities to import different file formats into the version of 2018?

Cannot find IMPORT FBX anymore and there is no documentation of this online at NEWTEK either!

Any one that knows where this function has been placed in Lightwave... just canīt find it!

In LW 11.6 its just to import FBX from DAZ and bang there it is... what happened with the LW team, are they really in for making things less functional I may congratulations... you have succeeded again!

Please correct me if I am wrong... I wanīt to be wrong... so much!

Jack

fishhead
05-28-2018, 05:47 AM
you can just plain load an *.fbx file as a ascene as you would with a regular *.lws or if you prefer use the import menu function - it is just going to the "Load" menu, and check the "Import" Entry way down and - tada! - "FBX Import" :-) There are already some threads in this forum that deal with 2018 FBX-Import from DAZ in particular. Iīd suggest you check out the most recent ones - I believe Prometheus was sharing some interesting findings while experimenting with 2018 - just in case things do not work out as expected...

On a side note: nothing wrong with asking... But maybe you should ask and wait a little if you can be helped before you imply things...

prometheus
05-28-2018, 11:47 AM
yes...just load as you would with lws, though itīs just more unnecessar steps to do if you go for load, import etc....the load requester will show what file extension format it can load, and that includes fbx...just load it in.

in lw docs...
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Layout+Load+Menu

"import

A dropdown with Imports for:

Alembic Loader - Loads an Alembic scene file
FBX Import - Loads an FBX file. Can also be loaded with the standard Load Scene, or keyboard shortcut Ctrl O.
COLLADA Import - Loads a COLLADA file. Can also be loaded with the standard Load Scene, or keyboard shortcut Ctrl O.
MDD Multi-Loader - Loads cache files for multiple items. See the example."

I do recognize that the documents and area where this is described, could be better placed at a direct fbx import page, which it currently isnīt.

jaxtone
05-29-2018, 02:56 AM
Thanks for being helpful but this is what I get when trying to load with "standard load scene" or "with import fbx"!

The FBX scene can easily be opened in LW 11.6 without problems. Fishhead if you donīt mind I am going to let out some more steam here.
How the heck does the mind work at Newtek's chief operators for the tech team? Like not at all or "letīs take a chance" to test the patience at the wavers, they wonīt disagree if we announce the new version as fantastic but take away stuff that works in the old versions of the software... just a conspiracy theory as good as anyone. God, I am so tired of friction I can die, and friction it is for sure.

By the way regarding to Mr Rid's experience followed by more users I won't upgrade to the latest version of 2018 since the render times are even worse than in 2018 itself. To be honest its a joke already and I cannot find any excuses for degrading one of the best and fastest render engines in yesterdays industry to what it is now.

Who let the dogs out? :)

you can just plain load an *.fbx file as a ascene as you would with a regular *.lws or if you prefer use the import menu function - it is just going to the "Load" menu, and check the "Import" Entry way down and - tada! - "FBX Import" :-) There are already some threads in this forum that deal with 2018 FBX-Import from DAZ in particular. Iīd suggest you check out the most recent ones - I believe Prometheus was sharing some interesting findings while experimenting with 2018 - just in case things do not work out as expected...

On a side note: nothing wrong with asking... But maybe you should ask and wait a little if you can be helped before you imply things...

yes...just load as you would with lws, though itīs just more unnecessar steps to do if you go for load, import etc....the load requester will show what file extension format it can load, and that includes fbx...just load it in.

in lw docs...
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Layout+Load+Menu

"import

A dropdown with Imports for:

Alembic Loader - Loads an Alembic scene file
FBX Import - Loads an FBX file. Can also be loaded with the standard Load Scene, or keyboard shortcut Ctrl O.
COLLADA Import - Loads a COLLADA file. Can also be loaded with the standard Load Scene, or keyboard shortcut Ctrl O.
MDD Multi-Loader - Loads cache files for multiple items. See the example."

I do recognize that the documents and area where this is described, could be better placed at a direct fbx import page, which it currently isnīt.

fishhead
05-29-2018, 04:53 AM
Hmm, thats interesting - I have no problems importing fbx-scenes into 2018 (PC that is...) . I tried 2018.0.4 and also 2018.0.3 - thats the version you seem to use... If that very same scene works for you in LW11.6 it might be that some of your 2018-config might be messed up for some reason i.e. LW not finding the needed plugin?!? Thatīs just a wild guess, though...

Would it be possible for you to post that *.fbx ?
If the problem shows on other systems it might be worth filing a bug report...

jaxtone
05-29-2018, 05:41 AM
fishhead!

It's a PC.

The question I may have asked before will be repeated here since I feel kind of dizzy at the moment. Got the Shingles or as its also called "Devils Fire". Rather fun if you wanna try how tough you are and how much pain you can take :)

How do I re-install the plugins? Something might have gone wrong during the installation!

I have filed a report! Letīs see if they have time to answer!

raymondtrace
05-29-2018, 06:51 AM
...if you donīt mind I am going to let out some more steam here.
How the heck does the mind work...

This is a silly way to troubleshoot issues. Distract from your problem.

Refresh your plugins. File->Edit->Edit Plugins->Scan Directory

jaxtone
05-29-2018, 11:01 AM
Hi,

Sorry but this one step ahead and two steps backwards because of lousy installation routines where some of the most important issues are missing heat the steam up of too many similar situations.
According to me a software shall install every part of it when pressing the install button. You see, if the user don't have the whole information its hard to know when its me or the software that fails.

Thanks for the tip anyway!

This is a silly way to troubleshoot issues. Distract from your problem.

Refresh your plugins. File->Edit->Edit Plugins->Scan Directory

raymondtrace
05-29-2018, 11:22 AM
...a software shall install every part of it when pressing the install button...

There's some confusion. What do you think is not installed?

Refreshing your plugins (aka 'updating your configuration files') is no different between the current version of LW and LW 11. It is not installing anything.

Thanks for the tip anyway!

So does this mean the issue is resolved or are you still attempting to troubleshoot? Should anyone attempt to offer additional assistance?

I would love to see NT's response if this discussion is similar to the way you have submitted the bug report. :D

jaxtone
05-29-2018, 11:45 AM
raymondtrace
(There's some confusion. What do you think is not installed?)

- what I think is not the issue here and by the message I got from NT I understand it as there has been a problem with the import of FBX in v.03 and that they've fixed it in v.04. Here's what they wrote:

"we did some fixing and it made it into 2018.0.4 (I see you're using 2018.0.3) - can you upgrade to that and see if you get the same?"

- However I am not interested in upgrading before theyīve fixed the problem with slower render processes in v.04.

(Refreshing your plugins (aka 'updating your configuration files') is no different between the current version of LW and LW 11. It is not installing anything.)

- I will try the refreshing yes.

(So does this mean the issue is resolved or are you still attempting to troubleshoot? Should anyone attempt to offer additional assistance?)
- No its not solved! But I am gonna try the refreshing thing first to see whats happening.

(I would love to see NT's response if this discussion is similar to the way you have submitted the bug report. :D)

- Its the same but I guess that wonīt change a thing if there has been an issue with the import of FBX in v.03

prometheus
05-29-2018, 01:20 PM
jaxtone...
You got mail, itīs a bit long though so be prepared.

raymondtrace
05-29-2018, 01:36 PM
...No its not solved! But I am gonna try the refreshing thing first to see whats happening.

Why are you taking time to inform us of what you have not tried? (neither updating to 2018.0.4 nor refreshing the plugin configuration)

Computers are hard. :D

fishhead
05-29-2018, 02:26 PM

- Its the same but I guess that wonīt change a thing if there has been an issue with the import of FBX in v.03

As I wrote earlier - I succesfully tried an *.fbx in 2018.0.3 because I noticed that you were using that version. So, I dare to state that maybe even if 2018.0.3 might have certain issues when importing/loading/interpreting *.fbx it is not totally defunct. It would have been helpful if you added an *.fbx that you had trouble with to check if others run into the same issues.

And I am not really convinced that it is a problematic installer that might have caused the problem. Just from my very personal experience: I never had any LW-Installer fail on me in that it did not install properly. In almost all cases of corrupted/incomplete config files and the like that I know of, these happened when LW did crash while writing those (updated) configs to disk.
This unfortunately can happen and surely has nothing to do with "lousy installation routines"...

Marander
05-29-2018, 02:56 PM
...and surely has nothing to do with "lousy installation routines"...

I agree to that. I have installed all LW versions from 11.5 to 2018.0.4 and never had any issue, Mac or PC Win7 and Win10 (mainly). Upgrading is so easy even with many plugins, custom menus etc. It takes maybe 10min if not less. The only thing is the occasional license issue after Windows upgrades. FBX never failed on me in LW even with large models / scenes, some hickups / minor bugs but it always worked. I really do not understand what is difficult in setting up LW. And by the way I just posted some info about fbx inport (missing features for game dev) and there is a specific recent fbx thread, just sayin'...

jaxtone
05-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Good for you but to be true this have happened a couple of times during the years since I first used LW in 1996. Do you think its for any help at all knowing that you havenīt had the same problems?

Jack

As I wrote earlier - I succesfully tried an *.fbx in 2018.0.3 because I noticed that you were using that version. So, I dare to state that maybe even if 2018.0.3 might have certain issues when importing/loading/interpreting *.fbx it is not totally defunct. It would have been helpful if you added an *.fbx that you had trouble with to check if others run into the same issues.

And I am not really convinced that it is a problematic installer that might have caused the problem. Just from my very personal experience: I never had any LW-Installer fail on me in that it did not install properly. In almost all cases of corrupted/incomplete config files and the like that I know of, these happened when LW did crash while writing those (updated) configs to disk.
This unfortunately can happen and surely has nothing to do with "lousy installation routines"...

Kryslin
05-30-2018, 07:24 AM
One of Lightwave's long standing issues is that it sometimes loses pieces of it's configuration information, like what plugins it has loaded. I have had this problem from 9.3 on, though it has been happening with far less frequency of late.

There are certain steps that should be taken before ranting about how LW sucks on the forum.
0) Make sure that autoscan plugins is checked. Its on one of the two configuration panels, under general. Every time lightwave loads, it will automatically scan for plugins.
1) Reload the plugin. If you know the filename, this is the easiest method - or -
2) Rescan the entire plugin folder.
( both of these can be done from the utilites -> add plugins or edit plugins menu.)
Lightwave should be restarted after the above. 99% of the time, this solves the problem, and you can keep working, and keep your blood pressure down.

IF the above doesn't work, then it's time for some sterner methods.
3) Back up any custom menu settings you may have.
4) Kill your configuration files. Back them up, before you delete them, but store them outside of Lightwave's directory trees.
5) Restart lightwave run both modeler and layout, so they both rebuild their config files.
6) Reload your custom menu tabs. You may have to re-enter license information for some of your plugins.

IF, after all this, the plugin refuses to load or is still missing, especially if its a native plugin, then you uninstall / re-install, then inform LW3DG of the issue.

If you want to be really thorough, find a 3rd party uninstaller that will not only run the normal uninstaller, but overwrite the files with random data, and clean up the registry as well. Be advised, securely erasing something like this can take quite some time.

It would be nice if the installer had a repair installation option, like some I have seen. Perhaps as a feature request?

raymondtrace
05-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Good for you but to be true this have happened a couple of times during the years since I first used LW in 1996. Do you think its for any help at all knowing that you havenīt had the same problems?

Of course this is of help. It suggests your system (or its user) is the problem.

Is there any point at which you're going to try the remedies suggested and report their success/failure... or is this discussion thread completely pointless? You've thrown this into so many tangents that it will be a miracle if you sort yourself out.

jaxtone
05-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Kryslin!

The thing that not happened is what you describe in you first line! Lightwave 2018 did not install all plugins while the main installation of the software was done!
I will definitely use (0) futurewise but in my opinion this can not be a hidden cause that Newtek doesn't know about so here is my question:

I there is a know lack in the installation process why not have this as one of the first information tags in the text about how you install. I was dumb enough to believe that an automatic installation took all the parts with it into the later installed program without that the user shall be forced to check whats in it and whats not. My skills when it comes to programming, coding or scripting is null and I do not see why I should even need to bother about lost program parts!

Thanks for your detailed information, it was really nice of you to share it!

One of Lightwave's long standing issues is that it sometimes loses pieces of it's configuration information, like what plugins it has loaded. I have had this problem from 9.3 on, though it has been happening with far less frequency of late.

There are certain steps that should be taken before ranting about how LW sucks on the forum.
0) Make sure that autoscan plugins is checked. Its on one of the two configuration panels, under general. Every time lightwave loads, it will automatically scan for plugins.
1) Reload the plugin. If you know the filename, this is the easiest method - or -
2) Rescan the entire plugin folder.
( both of these can be done from the utilites -> add plugins or edit plugins menu.)
Lightwave should be restarted after the above. 99% of the time, this solves the problem, and you can keep working, and keep your blood pressure down.

IF the above doesn't work, then it's time for some sterner methods.
3) Back up any custom menu settings you may have.
4) Kill your configuration files. Back them up, before you delete them, but store them outside of Lightwave's directory trees.
5) Restart lightwave run both modeler and layout, so they both rebuild their config files.
6) Reload your custom menu tabs. You may have to re-enter license information for some of your plugins.

IF, after all this, the plugin refuses to load or is still missing, especially if its a native plugin, then you uninstall / re-install, then inform LW3DG of the issue.

If you want to be really thorough, find a 3rd party uninstaller that will not only run the normal uninstaller, but overwrite the files with random data, and clean up the registry as well. Be advised, securely erasing something like this can take quite some time.

It would be nice if the installer had a repair installation option, like some I have seen. Perhaps as a feature request?

jaxtone
05-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Since you try to take the role as the funny guy in this thread here I can tell you that the failure had nothing to do with my system or mental state.

Since you haven't already understood this the problem was connected to the fact that Lightwave 2018 don't install all plugins that are necessary as a routine which is hard for me to do. When the plugin for loading fbx files into Layout does not follow as a part of the installation you may act like a joker as much as you feel and need but it still doesn't solve the problem. If my skills doesn't reach your majesty's in the matter of loading plugins by hand you may excuse me but to me it would have been better if you just helped instead of playing a big shoot.

I got the help I needed from the tech team and some very helpful people here at the forum that have had patience with my lack of understanding for how and why a software actually doesn't have a installer that does it job from time to time.

If you have problems dropping an attitude that more reminds me of bullying against me as a person please keep out of my threads. Its kind of pointless and brings no clarification to the problem whatsoever!

There's some confusion. What do you think is not installed?
Of course this is of help. It suggests your system (or its user) is the problem.
You've thrown this into so many tangents that it will be a miracle if you sort yourself out.

raymondtrace
05-30-2018, 12:22 PM
...The thing that not happened is what you describe in you first line! Lightwave 2018 did not install all plugins while the main installation of the software was done!
I will definitely use (0) futurewise but in my opinion this can not be a hidden cause that Newtek doesn't know about...

You are still painfully confused. Kryslin's tip (0) had nothing to do with installation. How do you expect to scan for a plugin that was not installed? Kryslin's tip (and the tip mentioned by others YESTERDAY) was to scan your installed plugins to rebuild your configuration files. You don't need any skills for programming, coding or scripting to do this. You're not programming, coding or scripting when you rebuild your configuration files.

Since you haven't already understood this the problem... it would have been better if you just helped instead of playing a big shoot.

The problem was understood and explained to you YESTERDAY. I can assure you that my dialog with you was not to make me look like a big shot. I most certainly disgraced myself by bothering to engage with your bizarre tangents and your refusal to fix the problem.

I wish you luck in the future.

jaxtone
05-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Can you please stop being rude because I donīt understand as much as you about how or why parts of an installation doesn't follow up with the installation itself.

Its not only rude, but seems like you are having a personal problem with me as you just can't stop picking where you might think it hurts most.

I try to hold back my personal anger when being treated that way and wonder why you can't do the same. To start with a sane understand how a software failure creates frustration in a production would be well appreciated instead of insinuations of my software or mental state.

Trying to use a passive/aggressive methods may trick someone else but I am sorry to say that I just hope you can respect my wish and keep out of my threads until you find a better way to communicate!

You are still painfully confused. Kryslin's tip (0) had nothing to do with installation. How do you expect to scan for a plugin that was not installed? Kryslin's tip (and the tip mentioned by others YESTERDAY) was to scan your installed plugins to rebuild your configuration files. You don't need any skills for programming, coding or scripting to do this. You're not programming, coding or scripting when you rebuild your configuration files.

The problem was understood and explained to you YESTERDAY. I can assure you that my dialog with you was not to make me look like a big shot. I most certainly disgraced myself by bothering to engage with your bizarre tangents and your refusal to fix the problem.

I wish you luck in the future.

Kryslin
05-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Jaxtone :

1) Thank you.

2) The installer, does, in fact, bring all the bits and pieces in that it needs for a default installation of the software... including the .fbx I/O plugin. However, LW sometimes forgets what it has loaded for plugins, and thus, you have to go through the steps outlined above. When I was learning LW, those steps were drilled into my head, and only when I had completed them, and the problem still persisted, that I was to call support. 99.9999% of the time, it works.

The "Why?" of why LW sporadically loses configuration info like this is a very complicated question to answer, because the cause is very likely to be different for every installation... from operating system settings, to false positives from over zealous anti virus / anti malware software, to other plugins in LW, to even a basic collision at the disk drive, where 2 processes want to write to the drive at the same time (which shouldn't happen at all).

Those of us here realize that coming to terms the LW2018 can be a frustrating process. It is a capable piece of software, but it is a different piece of software from it's predecessors. To automatically assume that every problem that comes up is LW3DG's mistake or mis-step is simply incorrect. Neither is it wholly a user problem (what I call a loose nut between the chair and the keyboard). While a number of people here will say it is a software problem (and it is a known issue), it is one where trying to cover every possibilty would be grossly impractical, especially when those possibilities change daily.

With a few simple steps, you can get the problem fixed, anf get back to the business of getting work done in Lightwave, and maybe have a less frustrating day, too.

jaxtone
05-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Thanks again for an outstanding explanation. I will try to have these things in mind when problems occur next time but have an old thing that always pops up in my memories that I will share with you now even if its yesterdays news.

In 2011 I thought that them old styled mannered answers that always put blame on the customer when soft- or hardware troubles happened.
I both upgraded my computer and Lightwave and planned to learn more about CA in Lightwave.

Lightwave contantly crashed and the computer were following every time I wrote something or changed settings in Lightwave. I panicked since my time as a couch potato after a divorce were running out and old customer wanted me to work for them.

When I called for help the Newtek team proposed me to check up the computer company, and when I asked the computer company for help the sent me back to Lightwave support. After a year I rested my case and stopped hoping for mercy and started up my old rock band instead to get some money on the table.

So what was the problem really?

The computer company had by mistake installed a Swedish version of Windows 7 Professional on my computer and Newteks release of the update I bought had missed to integrate the fact that we don't use commas when separating decimals in their programming. We use dots. Newtek later changed that in their software code to a better version and the computer company installed an English version of Windows professional.

And it took some years to be confident enough to get back into Lightwave. You see, I felt totally out of chances to claim that I was right against programmers and retailers that assure that its you that are the problem not the code or computers.

Maybe that is one reason till I over react when softwares do not install or do what you expect them to do and up to date I actually NEVER got any excuses from NEWTEK for accusing me for the problem and that they ruined my comeback in a hard time of life.

Jaxtone :

1) Thank you.

2) The installer, does, in fact, bring all the bits and pieces in that it needs for a default installation of the software... including the .fbx I/O plugin. However, LW sometimes forgets what it has loaded for plugins, and thus, you have to go through the steps outlined above. When I was learning LW, those steps were drilled into my head, and only when I had completed them, and the problem still persisted, that I was to call support. 99.9999% of the time, it works.

The "Why?" of why LW sporadically loses configuration info like this is a very complicated question to answer, because the cause is very likely to be different for every installation... from operating system settings, to false positives from over zealous anti virus / anti malware software, to other plugins in LW, to even a basic collision at the disk drive, where 2 processes want to write to the drive at the same time (which shouldn't happen at all).

Those of us here realize that coming to terms the LW2018 can be a frustrating process. It is a capable piece of software, but it is a different piece of software from it's predecessors. To automatically assume that every problem that comes up is LW3DG's mistake or mis-step is simply incorrect. Neither is it wholly a user problem (what I call a loose nut between the chair and the keyboard). While a number of people here will say it is a software problem (and it is a known issue), it is one where trying to cover every possibilty would be grossly impractical, especially when those possibilities change daily.

With a few simple steps, you can get the problem fixed, anf get back to the business of getting work done in Lightwave, and maybe have a less frustrating day, too.

raymondtrace
05-30-2018, 01:18 PM
...Its not only rude, but seems like you are having a personal problem with me as you just can't stop picking where you might think it hurts most...

I know this is going to sound rude to you but you are completely confused and really just need to stop typing nonsense. I have no anger nor personal problem with you. You need to stop imagining personal problems with others...whether it is myself, "Newtek's chief operators for the tech team", the Lightwave program, or anybody else that you want to rudely accuse of things. You'll find much more success if you cut out the nonsense and stick to the problem at hand.

jaxtone
06-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Can you please stop harassing me with private PM:s and extremely rude comments about my mental state. That doesn't seem like a good behavior from someone that points out that he have good intentions.

I have no interest in keep on fighting with you either in private sphere or in an official forum. Life is too short and for me this is history now. So please, let it go for all and everyone!

I may have been frustrated over things that is way over your level of helping or fixing things and to the people in charge that feels unsure of my intentions I can just say that I am sorry but honestly no one will benefit of a fight without a cause that you keep on running for your own good!

I know this is going to sound rude to you but you are completely confused and really just need to stop typing nonsense. I have no anger nor personal problem with you. You need to stop imagining personal problems with others...whether it is myself, "Newtek's chief operators for the tech team", the Lightwave program, or anybody else that you want to rudely accuse of things. You'll find much more success if you cut out the nonsense and stick to the problem at hand.

raymondtrace
06-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Neither in this topic nor in any PM have I brought up any issues with your mental state. You've raised that topic all on your own.

This topic concluded when you resolved the FBX issue. Move on. Quit posting nonsense and lies.

SBowie
06-03-2018, 10:50 AM
OK, this is getting out of hand. Let's try again, please.