PDA

View Full Version : First ever shot at Genoma, Lw11.6, Orlan Space Suit

starbase1
05-26-2018, 06:48 AM
I'm having my first go at rigging a figure in lightwave.

It's a Russian Orlan space suit. I was hoping that as I don't need to worry about expressions or toes, it would be nice and easy!

I attach pictures of the positioned genoma bones, the result of importing them, and a pretty shot of the suit rendered in it's base pose.

So it looks like when I bend the arms and legs, bits of fingers and toes get left behind.
I removed the head bones as I don't want to distort the helmet, and got the opposite effect.
Not done anything about the rigid backpack yet, but that needs to be inflexible too.

Clues for the clueless very welcome!
Nick

bobakabob
05-26-2018, 08:36 AM
I'm having my first go at rigging a figure in lightwave.

It's a Russian Orlan space suit. I was hoping that as I don't need to worry about expressions or toes, it would be nice and easy!

I attach pictures of the positioned genoma bones, the result of importing them, and a pretty shot of the suit rendered in it's base pose.

So it looks like when I bend the arms and legs, bits of fingers and toes get left behind.
I removed the head bones as I don't want to distort the helmet, and got the opposite effect.
Not done anything about the rigid backpack yet, but that needs to be inflexible too.

Clues for the clueless very welcome!
Nick

Hey Starbase, long time no see. Looks like you need to add weight maps and associate them with the bones. Usually you can get away with just weighting Head, Torso and separate limbs but you may need to do the fingers.

Kryslin
05-26-2018, 09:30 AM
I would probably go with body, head, upper/lower arms & legs, feet, fingers, and backpack. You'll have to re-add the head bone, and add one for the back pack. Genoma's biggest problem is that the bones do not have distinct, unique names. Usually, the long, blue bones are the ones you put weights on.

jwiede
05-26-2018, 06:02 PM
Odd that way the fingers are "floating off" post-Genoma-processing, though. Will lack of weight maps alone cause that? I could understand if they were attached but misaligned/misaimed, but having a more difficult time understanding how they're completely disconnected and floating free presuming they were properly hooked into the skeletal parent chains.

It almost seems like they either weren't processed properly, or there's some kind of odd viewport skeletal drawing corruption occurring.

bobakabob
05-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Yes, on closer inspection it looks like the rig is broken. You may have accidentally duplicated some parts setting up? Or were some bones already present?
When attaching the mesh it’s a good idea to convert to bounding box.

jwiede
05-26-2018, 06:30 PM
When attaching the mesh it’s a good idea to convert to bounding box.

It can work without doing so?

I've only experienced a 100% failure rate attempting to convert when not in bounding box. I thought it basically required bounding box.

starbase1
05-27-2018, 12:42 AM
Odd that way the fingers are "floating off" post-Genoma-processing, though. Will lack of weight maps alone cause that? I could understand if they were attached but misaligned/misaimed, but having a more difficult time understanding how they're completely disconnected and floating free presuming they were properly hooked into the skeletal parent chains.

It almost seems like they either weren't processed properly, or there's some kind of odd viewport skeletal drawing corruption occurring.

Well, I pulled parts around and rotated the elements to line up better, but that was about it, (with symmetry mode on).
No weight maps used, (I've never used them, don't understand them).

Thanks to all for the help.

Nick

CaptainMarlowe
05-27-2018, 03:08 AM
It can work without doing so?

I've only experienced a 100% failure rate attempting to convert when not in bounding box. I thought it basically required bounding box.

This issue is fixed. I have been able to create rigs not being in bounding box at least since 2015.3. (But yep, the OP is in 11.6, for this version, bounding box was required, if I recall properly). At least in 2018 (I don't have 2015.3 installed anymore, so I can't check), it even works in textured shaded solid (Mac OS high sierra).

starbase1
05-30-2018, 11:55 PM
OK, dumbass here reporting back...

Mystery solved, this i what happens when you import bones, rather than importing a Genoma rig.

Doh!