PDA

View Full Version : Clawfoot Tub

labrown
12-28-2003, 05:45 PM
This is my first render post to the forum. I think this is finished unless I get inspired to add something else. Raytrace only and it took 17 hours on my G5 2.0GHz to render nine passes.

X PsychoTron X
12-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Very nice, I like the atmosphere. :D

cathuria
12-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Sweet:D

Personally, I would go for a lot more contrast -- I think the uniformity of tone weakens the pic. I'd play with the HDR exposure and maybe pump up the saturation of some bits.

The only really weak part of the pic is the water -- it seems a bit too murky... like nasty ol' Aunt Thelma just stepped out of the tub...

Adore the tiles, 'though!

Zarathustra
12-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Beautiful image.

I'd agree with the above water comment and add that I would probably soften the bump on the tiles and turn down the reflections a bit, but that's a taste thing. Your image is more hyper-real then photo-real. I'm not sure what you were aiming for.

Did you do all the modeling?

Still seems like a long render for the new G5. What size did you render at? Medium AA, right?

labrown
12-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I am going for hyper-real at this point but will probably re-edit at some point to practice photoreal techniques.

I agree with the water. It should probably be less bumpy.

I did all of the modeling and it probably is not as efficient as it should be. The fawcet and claw feet have a ton of polys and it seems the water takes the most time to render. Still learning...

I must say, however, that the G5 is about 2X to 3X the rendering times of may DP 1.25. I am very pleased with the performance so far and it is much quieter that the old system.

The image was rendered at 1280 x 1024 at medium AA.

labrown
12-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Here are the wires for the fawcet. Don't laugh...too many polys right! I am still trying to learn the ins and outs of balancing geometry with output quality.

Any suggestions on where I could simplify?

Thanks in advance.

labrown
12-29-2003, 11:10 AM
And the foot...

cathuria
12-29-2003, 05:21 PM
Well, from my "poly count be damned" perspective...:D
Nothing seems too bloated except the 90 degree bends in the support bracket and at the shower head. You don't need anywhere near that many segments in the bend.

Capel
12-29-2003, 08:09 PM
your number of segments could almost be cut in half on ALL your tubes and cylinders there, and the model would still look exactly the same.