PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Camera motion from Maya

Greenlaw
05-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to troubleshoot something at work and wondered if anybody here ran into this situation and has a solution.

I tried exporting a baked camera from Maya and imported it to 2015.3. The camera properties match and the motion is almost a match, but the Pitch and Bank are slightly off...possibly just an off-set but not sure yet. The Heading and positions are fine.

So I went back to Maya and constrained a Locater to the camera, and baked the coordinates to the Locater. Then, I exported the Locater from Maya via FBX, and imported that to LightWave as a null and parented the camera (keyframes removed) to it. And I still see the same offset on Pitch and Bank.

I think this means something's getting goofed up in translation to LightWave. I was using FBX 2014/2015 out of Maya, so maybe I need to use an earlier version? I'll try that next.

Anyway, has anybody else see this issue?

Ugh...I just realized I should check other items that were exported from Maya...maybe their Pitch and Bank anim is off on those items too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greenlaw
05-22-2018, 12:06 PM
I tried different fbx and baking options in both Maya, Maya's FBX exporter and LightWave's FBX import but I still got the same results--everything imported is correct except for Pitch and Bank on the baked camera.

The last thing I tried is parenting all the exported items and camera to a master Locater in Maya and exporting that. I got the same result inside LightWave. But I checked the rotation of the master nulls for the other items and their rotations are all correct. So, now I know it's something about the camera.

Maybe there's a constraint that's still active after baking that I need to trace?

I think I'm getting a little closer but not quite there yet. Will post again if I find a solution.

Greenlaw
05-22-2018, 12:33 PM
Oh, duh...apparently, the camera in the scene to which I was comparing was slightly changed.

Nevermind. Well, maybe...I'm still not sure why the baked camera rotation on Pitch/Bank (X/Z) was slightly different in Lightwave compared to the Maya scene I exported from when every other channel value matched.

Anyway, exporting from the scene with the correct camera now. Hopefully, it matches up better.

Greenlaw
05-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Success! I output the camera from the correct Maya scene as FBX, and the rest of the items using Alembic. Everything seems to line up inside LightWave now.

It helps to work with the right files. :)

BTW, this was the first time I tried Maya Alembic to LightWave. Does the job nicely!