PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2018.0.4 renders SIX times slower than LW2018.0.1!?

Mr Rid
05-21-2018, 08:30 PM
I have a straightforward scene that takes 33 seconds per frame in LW2018.0.1, and takes up 16Gb ram. But the same scene in LW2018.0.4, takes 2 minutes & 50 seconds per frame, and 41Gb of ram.

The loaded scene takes 5Gb. Why would it expand to 41Gb of ram? There are only objects and texture maps, with no deforms, effects, dynamics, or anything complex.

I also have scenes with cached PFX that crash when I drag the frame slider in any version other than LW2018.0.1. Why are updates getting worse?

I cannot submit a scene to support full of confidential project assets. And it usually takes too many hours of my time to narrow down numerous problems with a new version, optimize the scenes, and prepare reports. I am in the habit of sticking with older, more reliable versions until a substantial update, since I am not paid to troubleshoot software. I am posting to see if anyone else has noticed these problems, and if there is a possible user solution.

artzgo
05-22-2018, 03:37 AM
I have different feelings, it's faster with me.
but in general LW 2018 is slow to render, it's hard to use for animation.
The worst thing is that you can not see the idea of the rendering engine, we have only BF and slow interpolation

Shabazzy
05-22-2018, 04:21 AM
I have different feelings, it's faster with me.
but in general LW 2018 is slow to render, it's hard to use for animation.
The worst thing is that you can not see the idea of the rendering engine, we have only BF and slow interpolation

I don't think the question is about rendering speed, it's about resource consumption and stability.

I'd be very interested in seeing if this is a common issue with 2018.0.4.

Shabazzy
05-22-2018, 04:33 AM
Apparently it is.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?157030-Lightwave-2018-0-4-and-memory-issues

BTW MR Rid, are you using a Mac?

stiff paper
05-22-2018, 06:53 AM
Why would it expand to 41Gb of ram?
It's probably buffers and data for the new render engine.

In V-Ray you can choose between two sampling engines: progressive and bucket. Bucket rendering takes a small amount of ram (only renders one little patch at a time) but progressive can and does use a huge amount of ram (it renders the whole image all at once). Maybe the new LW render engine is doing the same kind of thing.

Although, if the scene isn't enormous then 41GB still seems stupidly large. (I only have 32GB of ram in my main PC!)

jaxtone
05-24-2018, 02:50 AM
Letīs say I am both sad and happy to see that more people than myself experience the new render engine in Lightwave 2018 slower than earlier. I don't know but I experience the opposite of of speed and and simplicity when using, debating or testing the render options in Lightwave 2018.

I have now for two weeks learnt more than I knew before by friendly wavers and understand that the gap between 9.6 and Lightwave 2018 is a huge and steep road to walk. But still, is it just a render engine you guys at Lightwave have created, not a universal gravity change for real. Something is wrong here if updates are showing off slower results that at the same time are defended by arguments that speak for the contrary and as usual put the blame on the users. That's a bad behavior!

To me its just another version of "Murphy's law"!

When everything else on this planet that is connected to a harsh financial reality reaches for instant results whether its about global communication or speed dating I must say that this isn't what I expected when reading the sales text for the update I own today.

I will of course not update until Lightwave announce that they have solved the problem for real with v.04. And if something new comes up about this issue I guess Mr Rid will inform about it.

jwiede
05-26-2018, 09:53 PM
It's probably buffers and data for the new render engine.

Please read Mr. Rid's original post a bit more carefully -- he's citing differences between LW2018.0.1 and LW2018.0.4, that's the new render engine in BOTH cases. Whatever's going on with memory in the new render engine, the "buffer and data" architecture of the new render engine is generally the same in .0.4 as in .0.1. Instead, there appears to have been some kind of pathological memory lifecycle issue introduced in more recent revisions.

That's also pretty serious performance degradation he's reporting between .0.1 and .0.4. While the cost of manipulating so much additional memory is likely causing performance issues (system-wide), I'm not convinced that alone explains the level of performance degradation cited.

stiff paper
05-27-2018, 03:02 AM
Please read Mr. Rid's original post a bit more carefully
You are correct. I am a horse's as$. Sorry Mr Rid.

jaxtone
05-27-2018, 11:14 AM
jwiede, sorry for not being enthusiastic and joyful but I ain't gonna jump and shout, happy as a alley cat for no reason at all!

I feel that LW 2018 is a great tool with a really slow render engine no matter what.

I was just minutes away to follow an advice from Newtek to upgrade from Lightwave's most annoying render issue to something even worse and are grateful to mr Rid that at an early stage noticed that the update might have been a failure somehow. I guess the technical team is working hard to solve this and find a medication for the render engine totally.

So instead of jump and shout I am definitely gonna do something as unusual as pray to the old Gods of the Vikings tonight, hoping that Newtek in a nearby future creates one of the business fastest render engines without excuses or complications. I guess they will take back something that made them one of the best in 3D business affordable softwares 30 years ago.

I guess you addressed your message to the wrong guy, since I guess the ones that would probably benefit and learn more from Rid's message is NEWTEK's hard working team.

Regards, Jack

Please read Mr. Rid's original post a bit more carefully -- he's citing differences between LW2018.0.1 and LW2018.0.4, that's the new render engine in BOTH cases. Whatever's going on with memory in the new render engine, the "buffer and data" architecture of the new render engine is generally the same in .0.4 as in .0.1. Instead, there appears to have been some kind of pathological memory lifecycle issue introduced in more recent revisions.

That's also pretty serious performance degradation he's reporting between .0.1 and .0.4. While the cost of manipulating so much additional memory is likely causing performance issues (system-wide), I'm not convinced that alone explains the level of performance degradation cited.

protogenes
05-30-2018, 12:38 PM
I would have to agree that it is much slower than LW2015, and the memory leak issue makes it relatively useless for animation.

vncnt
05-30-2018, 12:52 PM
I am in the habit of sticking with older, more reliable versions until a substantial update, since I am not paid to troubleshoot software. I am posting to see if anyone else has noticed these problems, and if there is a possible user solution.
Does this mean you are going to pay for an answer?