PDA

View Full Version : Ambient light by default in 2018?

jaxtone
05-21-2018, 02:17 AM
Hi guys!

I am starting to feel really exhausted by the new interface and when I cannot find reasonable explanations in Lightwave's dictionaries old fashioned white paper library I steal your time... sorry!

As I remember the always unwanted ambient light were set by default to 5.0 in earlier versions. In Lightwave 3D 2018 I cannot find such a thing as ambient light set by default.

But here is the strange thing. I have turned all lights off and still the space vessel are lightened up!

Is this a bug or what?

CaptainMarlowe
05-21-2018, 05:34 AM
There’s no more ambient light in the new renderer. What have you disabled in your lights ?

djwaterman
05-21-2018, 05:36 AM
Is the surface material reflective and is there some sort of environment that it is reflecting?

Sensei
05-21-2018, 06:53 AM
If you have enabled GI,
any surface is source of light also.
It's default on (and default non-interpolated non-cached, thus slow).

Try Render Globals > GI and turn it off and see whether it changed anything.

jaxtone
05-21-2018, 07:31 AM
The light intensity is set to null to all lights and I have also deselected every object in the scene for each separate lights preference!

There’s no more ambient light in the new renderer. What have you disabled in your lights ?

prometheus
05-21-2018, 12:02 PM
The light intensity is set to null to all lights and I have also deselected every object in the scene for each separate lights preference!

There is no more ambient light at all, itīs gone.

and foremost, check if GI is on or off.
Second, check if your surface is reflective or has any kind of luminosity values above 0%
if it is reflective, it may be that it is reflecting a background gradient...if you have that active, but have set backdrop color to black?

in this image, no lights, no GI...the hero is reflecting the background gradient, but the background gradient is overidden from being rendered itself when use backdrop color is checked.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141791&d=1526925684

prometheus
05-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Not really related to your issues, but if you donīt mind since you are new to VPR and many materials and the new lighting, just wanted to share... I really like the new volumetrics up to a certain point, and the carpaint material is great, if set right you can have that kind of bug iridiscence that I really love on insects, think you would love them too if you get to know how to use it.

Not sure If can save any presets and canīt save any objects and scenes with discovery, the settings is there to take notes on for that kind of material if needed though.
One thing to note about the spot light behaving in the Global scattering volumetrics, if you turn down spotlight cone and soft angle, and instead use the size values, you can get straight spotlights like lasers, a couple of things though that I miss with the new system, the distant light doesnīt seem to be capable of working with the Global scattering volumetrics, previously we could have a distant light set to be volumetric per light..that is not possible now it seems, maybe they have missed something there or is still working on that?

Sprites within a volumetric light and preset is also gone, you need to enter nodes and do it fully volumetric, I wish they could have kept somekind of sprite function for a special effect light, though you may be able to use textures within the volumetric ligh and nodes, it will not be as fast and smooth as the sprites were.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141792&d=1526930507

jaxtone
05-21-2018, 01:52 PM
promotheus!

It all looks good to me and in many ways there are a lot of new features to explore as soon as I found out a way to increase the speed of rendering. As it is now its the opposite to inspirational to experience that even an easy piece of render takes ages.

I added some Volumetrics to the the light sources on my space vessel and they are ok to render with 9 passes. But as soon as I added car paint to the cockpits glass hood there was problems, huge problems.

The volumetric spot that was positioned at the back of the vessel pointing forward recflected itself into the glass hood on top of cockpit. But the light itself were divided up in thousands of small black dots. Looks ok if you set the render resolution passes to above 22 but that takes more time than a doped snail to run N.Y. Marathon. I chosed to use natural settings on the hood and "voila" with a image of a glass texture in the windows UV map and a slice of reflection it all looked just as good as any bumped car paint!

Still wonder about the Octane thing. Dunno if I am ready for more steps backwards at the moment. Octane wasn't just another self going plugin :(

prometheus
05-21-2018, 02:49 PM
promotheus!

It all looks good to me and in many ways there are a lot of new features to explore as soon as I found out a way to increase the speed of rendering. As it is now its the opposite to inspirational to experience that even an easy piece of render takes ages.

I added some Volumetrics to the the light sources on my space vessel and they are ok to render with 9 passes. But as soon as I added car paint to the cockpits glass hood there was problems, huge problems.

The volumetric spot that was positioned at the back of the vessel pointing forward recflected itself into the glass hood on top of cockpit. But the light itself were divided up in thousands of small black dots. Looks ok if you set the render resolution passes to above 22 but that takes more time than a doped snail to run N.Y. Marathon. I chosed to use natural settings on the hood and "voila" with a image of a glass texture in the windows UV map and a slice of reflection it all looked just as good as any bumped car paint!

Still wonder about the Octane thing. Dunno if I am ready for more steps backwards at the moment. Octane wasn't just another self going plugin :(

Probably too low reflection samples, similar black dots (I think) can be seen when you have the skin material and most values fo subsurface scattering samples below 2 is too low, you need to raise subsurface scattering samples if such artifacts occour, in your case it may be reflection or refraction samples, try raise those to maybe 6 or more before setting any camera resolution samples...in the render tab.

the lights volumetric samples may also need to be raised, and thereīs also a sample setting for the Global volumetrics itself.

prometheus
05-21-2018, 03:13 PM
Also ...very much needed since it is a path tracing gi method and some other stuff that needs noise elimination, you need to check buffers tab in the render properties and click on final render, that will bring up the common menu where you must activate noise filtering, if the checkbox of noisefiltering in the render tab also should work, and doing a render you can get a preview window adjust filtering, but it is not realtime...still needs to be processed within that preview window, but it letīs you preview and admit to the final render when you are satisfied...the workflow and noise reduction results is a bit messy for my liking though.

I think they need to connect these two checkboxes to a single UI or making it activate by choice from one place rather than two places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gjixZPiB4g

And something completely different, but things should be right you know :)
I see my avatar name spelled all the time as promotheus by you, itīs Prometheus...check the movie or read shelleyīs frankenstein , or the modern Prometheus...but donīt worry, I wonīt haunt you though :)

jaxtone
06-02-2018, 05:01 PM
prometheus has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

prometheus
06-03-2018, 08:41 AM
prometheus has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

O sorry, I hate cleaning that inbox.
If you donīt mind..please do send a mail to my personal mail if you can, I will also respond soon on the last mail you sent.