PDA

View Full Version : Place Mesh losing Weight info?

kyuzo
05-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Hi All,

Think I may have found a bug. (I'm still on LW2015)

I need to create an object covered with scales, where the scales conform closely to the object shape. I've modelled a single scale, and created a weight map to use later to displace the details (mainly the points end).

I used place mesh to cover the shape with flattened versions of the scale, used heatshrink to make them conform to the desired shape.
Then I went into layout to displace the scales along object normals using nodes. This works fine on the original, test scale I created, but not on the copies. The copies don't displace at all.
Back in modeler, I checked the Weight Shade, and everything looks good when the correct weight map is selected.
However, when I select individual points, there is no weight information stored at all. My fear is that Place Mesh doesn't preserve the weight data.
Here's a close up of a single scale... (it'll be subpatched later, and points merged with surrounding scales, which are hidden in this view)

So...
1) Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?
2) Is there any way to reapply the weight info to the points? The weight map seems to be there...

Cheers,

Derek

prometheus
05-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Hi All,

Think I may have found a bug. (I'm still on LW2015)

I need to create an object covered with scales, where the scales conform closely to the object shape. I've modelled a single scale, and created a weight map to use later to displace the details (mainly the points end).

I used place mesh to cover the shape with flattened versions of the scale, used heatshrink to make them conform to the desired shape.
Then I went into layout to displace the scales along object normals using nodes. This works fine on the original, test scale I created, but not on the copies. The copies don't displace at all.
Back in modeler, I checked the Weight Shade, and everything looks good when the correct weight map is selected.
However, when I select individual points, there is no weight information stored at all. My fear is that Place Mesh doesn't preserve the weight data.
Here's a close up of a single scale... (it'll be subpatched later, and points merged with surrounding scales, which are hidden in this view)

So...
1) Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?
2) Is there any way to reapply the weight info to the points? The weight map seems to be there...

Cheers,

Derek

the weight map seem to be there in the viewport weightmap ..but as you say, no weight map info when inspected, I tried fertilizer with that weightmap, and the weight map doesnīt seem to work.
So it may be that place mesh destroys it.

prometheus
05-20-2018, 05:40 PM
One recommendation, if you get dpont verdure pack for trees etc, (free plugin)
then you could use the foliage tool, make your scale in background layer, and paint the area on your main object with a weight map, then run that foliage command, and it will automaticly recognize your background scale mesh, now...the opengl will only display the background scales as itīs bounding box when you have the tool active, but you can scale and adjust rotation, scale based on polygons etc, when done...apply it and you should be able to see your scales applied, and it will maintain the weight map on the scale unlike place mesh.

Personally I think they havenīt made place mesh as good as it needs to be, a lot of improvements could be made with that tool.

lertola2
05-20-2018, 07:41 PM
That is a nasty bug. And I am sure they are not going to fix LW 2015. LW 2018 seems to be behaving properly though.

kyuzo
05-22-2018, 03:06 AM
Thanks for checking this out for me guys. Good to know it's not just me.

Thanks for the suggestion of DPs Verdure pack - I'll certainly look into that to see what it can do, thought I don't think I have time to go exploring new territory with this project right now.
And good to hear Place Mesh is behaving in LW2018. I will be upgrading, but it's going to have to wait until my finances settle down a bit.

I did manage to solve this, albeit in a fairly manual way. I figured that each scale will have the same number of points (38). So I made a note of the weight map for each of them. Then I used 'Select nth' to select every 38th, applied the appropriate weight value, then selected the next point using the offset option.
Didn't take too long to cycle through them all. Slightly satisfied that I remembered about Select nth, and quite chuffed that I've finally found a use for it!

Cheers

Ztreem
05-22-2018, 04:06 AM
You can also do a UV map of the object before using place mesh then use UV to weight to make the weight map afterwards.

kyuzo
05-22-2018, 05:49 AM
Cheers Ztreem - will look into that option if I get a mo. As it was, I'd already placed 250 copies, and didn't fancy doing that again

Ztreem
05-22-2018, 07:40 AM
I just tested it again in LW 2015.3 and it seems to work as it should.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read your post properly. No, it doesn't work it must be a bug. It looks like it works if you look at the colors but the weightmap isn't there even if it looks like it is, very strange.