PDA

View Full Version : VPR Background - how to change it?

jaxtone
05-20-2018, 09:36 AM
I try to figure out how the new volumetrics for spotlights work in Lightwave.

Its impossible to see any Volumetrics when the VPR by default is set to bright daylight.

This day has been deep into the Lightwave 2018 so I am kind of full now.

Anyone knows where to change the background or VPR settings so one can play around to see if the new volumetric system is working or is faster than earlier.

I also wonder where all presets for spotlights with volumetrics etc have dissapeared?

CaptainMarlowe
05-20-2018, 09:42 AM
VPR is a progressive render of your final render. Thus, you change the background in VPR the exact same as you do in a normal render, in background options.

Kryslin
05-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Uncheck gradient background under background options.

prometheus
05-20-2018, 11:07 AM
Or if you want to use the gradient backround as the source for GI and affecting the objects, but you do not want the background itself to be visible in the camera..
Then you would go to the compositing tab and check use BACKGROUND color, so if you have a gradient in background, or if you have a BACKDROP color set to white...then either the background gradient or the backdrop color will be used as illumination source if GI is activated and set to use backdrop/background, but the render background will rendered as that of the BACKDROP color, preferably black in many cases, or purely white, or perhaps greenscreened.

jaxtone
05-21-2018, 01:01 AM
Oh man, must had been totally locked up in the thing they call brain yesterday :)

There is a really giant step from 9.6 to 2018 and maybe I made a mistake when I decided to finalize my reel in the new version. After one week working in the Graveyard shift the fuses blew away yesterday:

Thanks all of you for helping me out of the maze that trapped my solutions totally!

JohnMarchant
05-23-2018, 09:49 AM
LW 9.6 to LW 2018, Wow, i dont envy you that at all, it was a big enough learning curve from 2015 to 2018. Its mostly for me where things are and some name changes as well.

jaxtone
05-23-2018, 10:35 AM
I am half dead already, its a steep curve upwards!

One of the things I wonder about is this... I was half way in to subscribe for the Octane render engine. But since there were too many settings before I could start a test render process I put it on hold.

How come everything must be so damn complicated or am I just an old fart trying to understand too much at once :)

LW 9.6 to LW 2018, Wow, i dont envy you that at all, it was a big enough learning curve from 2015 to 2018. Its mostly for me where things are and some name changes as well.

JohnMarchant
05-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Well i cant speak for your age but im 57, so yes the learning curve does not get any easier over time. Actually saying that,thats the same reason i put off getting Octane for so long, i just did not want to have to go in and learn another renderer and to resurface all my stuff for another renderer. Well eventually i did and im happy with the results so far.

jaxtone
05-24-2018, 01:46 AM
Hi John!

I am 65 this year and sometimes I wish 3D software were just as easy as when I am playing om my old guitar :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwYXHxHTo_s

If Octane and LW and all other 3D connected stuff were more like this I would definitely having a great time playing with them without difficulties :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiJYct5FJws

Well i cant speak for your age but im 57, so yes the learning curve does not get any easier over time. Actually saying that,thats the same reason i put off getting Octane for so long, i just did not want to have to go in and learn another renderer and to resurface all my stuff for another renderer. Well eventually i did and im happy with the results so far.

prometheus
05-24-2018, 12:17 PM
Hi John!

I am 65 this year and sometimes I wish 3D software were just as easy as when I am playing om my old guitar :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwYXHxHTo_s

If Octane and LW and all other 3D connected stuff were more like this I would definitely having a great time playing with them without difficulties :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiJYct5FJws

For what it is worth, I got the impression you were younger than me:D are you retired now ..or do freelance stuff as you please?
I am turning 53 in october, soon about time to update my avatar picture taken from when I was 6 years old..I guess :) Though itīs hard nowadays to find "good" pictures of oneself.

jaxtone
05-25-2018, 12:44 AM
Hahaha, for what its worth, keep that avatar. Its cute and reminds me of my own childhood! Can't really say that the avatar I use nowadays at the forum are representative for me as a kid :)

As a rock musician since 50 years way back in time my estimated pension in the orange envelope was a tragic history as for many Swedes that started to work in their teenage years. So I ain't even thinking of a drawback. Its rather the opposite, work till I die and its really no problem since I love what I do.

I can tell you that one too many of my friends and hang-around fellows all have died by a sudden or at least less than 6 months after their retirements. Maybe because they havenīt been used to chill all day long and dies of a chock when they realize that their work days are over. That's a pity too see and maybe I have an advantage of my mothers heritage. She's 96 and still up and running, playing around and travel naive as kid with a grown ups experience.

When she took a flight to United States to visit a cousin a couple of years ago her younger friends whispered and asked:

- How dare you to travel alone into this big world.

She answered:

- Alone? Do you know how many interesting people it lives on this planet?

For what it is worth, I got the impression you were younger than me:D are you retired now ..or do freelance stuff as you please?
I am turning 53 in october, soon about time to update my avatar picture taken from when I was 6 years old..I guess :) Though itīs hard nowadays to find "good" pictures of oneself.