PDA

View Full Version : Export Lightwave rig to .fbx

newhere
05-19-2018, 05:41 AM
Hello - I have a question dealing with .fbx and i was wondering how can i export a LW character with rig to an .fbx file in lightwave 9.2 because i do not see it as an exporting option?

Kryslin
05-19-2018, 09:53 AM
This gets a bit complicated; It has to be done from layout, and your rig has to be reduced down to bones and joints only. Constraints and motion modifiers do not export. FK only, no IK, switchable constraints, etc. If you have animation applied, you'll have to bake it to the bones first before stripping the controls and constraints out. Then you can export your stripped down rig to fbx, with your animation.

RebelHill's animation and rigging tool boxes may automate the process somewhat. They come with the free version of RHiggit2 if they're not available by themselves...

newhere
05-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Ok...but i do not see .fbx as export option in lightwave 9.2

prometheus
05-20-2018, 06:12 AM
Ok...but i do not see .fbx as export option in lightwave 9.2

You would probably need to upgrade to a later lightwave version, which has this built in.
I can not see any free nor commercial fbx plugins directly in the lightwave plugin database, though I am pretty sure there was some plugins out there.

Autodesk had one fbx plugin for lightwave , but I donīt think it is available anymore, maybe if you do a search...mut it may be likely that it has been removed, maybe ask around on the forum if there is one to share.
I do not have it myself though.

Kryslin
05-20-2018, 10:32 AM
AFAIK, he should be able to update to 9.6.1 for free.

newhere
05-20-2018, 07:33 PM
prometheus: I looked at this forum on here and downloaded two of the files - http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?106110-FBX-Importing-into-LightWave
For some reason though, i can't extract it into my lightwave plugins folder.

Kryslin: Do you have a link to where i can get the update?

prometheus
05-21-2018, 12:52 PM
prometheus: I looked at this forum on here and downloaded two of the files - http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?106110-FBX-Importing-into-LightWave
For some reason though, i can't extract it into my lightwave plugins folder.

Not sure what system you are on...assuming you are on pc, do not try to extract directly to the plugins folder, could be a windows safe guard sometimes, just extract the files to the desktop, copy the pluginfile and paste it in to your plugins folder, and make sure to have admin rights or check continue when asked about that etc.

plugins extracted fine from windows 10 to desktop.

newhere
05-21-2018, 03:23 PM
prometheus: Still doesn't work.

"Diagnostic message: Either multipart or corrupt ZIP archive"

Don't know why it won't let me extract. I'm on PC running windows 10

prometheus
05-21-2018, 03:28 PM
prometheus: Still doesn't work.

"Diagnostic message: Either multipart or corrupt ZIP archive"

Don't know why it won't let me extract. I'm on PC running windows 10

if it says corrupt zip archive, it probably is..or you are trying to extract with wrong tools, I simply right click on the file on the desktop and extract all..we are using the same files, same system and on pc.
I may probably be that you have downloaded with a web browser that cut it off pre-maturely, or something just happened with the download.
firefox usually download things well, that is what I commonly use...chrome or explorer may cause issues, at least that could be the case I think.
download it again with firefox if you can.

Bedtime now ..so no more answers for many many hours, 9 hours sleep, 9 hours at work.

newhere
05-21-2018, 04:55 PM
It works now after i re-downloaded it but now i'm having more issues.......i exported a run cycle i animated in LW and tried to open it up in blender 2.77 and an error came up:

"Version 3000 unsupported, must be 7100 or later."

prometheus
05-22-2018, 04:31 AM
It works now after i re-downloaded it but now i'm having more issues.......i exported a run cycle i animated in LW and tried to open it up in blender 2.77 and an error came up:

"Version 3000 unsupported, must be 7100 or later."

As mentioned, those were older plugins, the native fbx might be better, but blender isnīt really good on importing fbx files made by daz, neither exported from lightwave nor directly from daz.
Importing daz figures to either blender or lightwave directly..then Lightwave does handle that a lot better.

newhere
05-22-2018, 06:36 AM
I'm tyrying to convert my models and rigs i created in LW to .fbx

So far i know that it does not work in blender 2.77 but i can import it into paint 3d that comes installed for windows 10. It loads the model correctly but not the textures or animation.

Kryslin
05-22-2018, 09:16 AM

Sorry to take so long in replying: You should be able to log in to your product page, where all your licensed major versions are listed, and the last version your licensed for in that major version ( LW 9 ) should be listed for download. 9.6.1 is still listed on my product page. If its not, and you have a valid license, give support a call (either phone or e-mail ), and see if they can't help resolve the matter.

Personally, I would start looking for an LW 11 license for sale. It's close enough to 9 to be familiar, and the 11 series was pretty stable. Barring that possibility, AD used to have an FBX utility that was a stand alone app. That might help convert the fbx file from that old plugin to something a newer program can use.

newhere
05-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Kryslin: I have already installed an .fbx plugin for LW 9.2 and it saves everything but opening it to other newer softwares seems to have issues. I'm guessing there might be a newer version of the plugin i downloaded for the new lightwave 2018 (which i don't want really because i'm so use to 9.2 at the moment)

Is there a newer version of .fbx plugin out there that i can download and install in LW 9.2?

Kryslin
05-22-2018, 05:57 PM
For LW 9.2, I couldn't say. I believe fbx export was added natively in 9.3.

I keep the old versions ( 9.6.1, 11.6.3, 2015.3, and 2018.0.x) installed because a number of people I've modeled props for still use those versions, and I want to make sure that things worked right before sending them on their way... I deal mainly with importing various formats rather than exporting, the sole exception being .obj and .dae, which I use for a couple other apps.

newhere
05-23-2018, 01:28 PM
I get emails for people wanting my 3d meshes in .fbx format for games. Is there a converter out there that can convert LW characters & rigs to .fbx without me needing to buy another software?

MarcusM
05-23-2018, 04:01 PM
I get emails for people wanting my 3d meshes in .fbx format for games. Is there a converter out there that can convert LW characters & rigs to .fbx without me needing to buy another software?

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Interchange#Interchange-FBXExportFBXExportOptions

newhere
05-23-2018, 04:27 PM
MarcusM: That link is for Lightwave 2018 (which i don't have). As i stated previously, i'm using Lightwave 9.2.

CaptainMarlowe
05-24-2018, 03:54 AM
As mentionned before, you should be able to update freely to lightwave 9.6 if you have a valid licence. Native fbx and collada export were added in 9.5 release. Worth trying.

newhere
05-24-2018, 08:13 AM
I don't feel like going through the updating process again, i just want the plugin.

CaptainMarlowe
05-24-2018, 10:48 AM
I don't understand why you don't want to upgrade : it's free, you just have to download from lightwave3d.com and install, and even if you want to stick to lw 9.2 for daily work, you can have the two versions on your computer. Then you can just load your scene in layout 9.6 and export to .fbx from here when you need.
This is something you could have done much faster than searching an hypothetic plug-in for and 11-years old version of LW. But it's your call, of course.

newhere
05-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Ever since LW 6.0 whenever i updated (from 6.0 to 8.0, and 8.0 to 8.5, and 8.5 to 9.2) i had to setup my settings all over again (erasing the older version because i like to keep one version on my computer). Since i don't see a need to really update to any newer version of lightwave because of just one plugin i'm looking for, Newtek should have options available for users to get a specific plugin no matter what version of Lightwave 3d a user has.

raymondtrace
05-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Plugins are not backward compatible so the option to get a specific plugin is to simply update LW. (EDIT: if you really want just the plugin, install 9.6 without starting it, attempt to copy the plugin to your older release, then uninstall 9.6...success is still doubtful but it would at least wake you to the reality of the situation.)

You must be very busy to have not found time to update from 9.2 to 9.6 in the past decade. Why are we spending so much time discussing this?

Sorting settings can't take more than a half hour.

prometheus
05-26-2018, 06:11 AM
Ever since LW 6.0 whenever i updated (from 6.0 to 8.0, and 8.0 to 8.5, and 8.5 to 9.2) i had to setup my settings all over again (erasing the older version because i like to keep one version on my computer). Since i don't see a need to really update to any newer version of lightwave because of just one plugin i'm looking for, Newtek should have options available for users to get a specific plugin no matter what version of Lightwave 3d a user has.

That is a little of a dream world stretching it too far, seem not feasable trying to provide plugins and adjust to such old versions, it would take them to much time re-coding many various plugins, for many various back versions.
the amount of work for you to update is only a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of work they would need to to...Just my cents.

if you learn a workflow of saving menus configs and save your own plugin folder, I donīt think it can be that hard to Update.

Marander
05-26-2018, 08:41 AM
if you learn a workflow of saving menus configs and save your own plugin folder, I donīt think it can be that hard to Update.

I agree.

I mean c'mon LW9.2 came out 2007 and is 11 years old now (!!!) in an industry that moves so fast, that's like stoneage.

FBX 2012 is the lowest I ever use (for compatibility) but also FBX has new versions every year.

Expecting NewTek to support LW9.2, well I have no words for that.

Kryslin
05-26-2018, 03:07 PM
I've never had to spend more than 20 minutes when updating, most of that is finding my licenses and getting them loaded in the right place.

jwiede
05-26-2018, 08:46 PM

If you own a valid 9.2 license (with dongle), you're entitled to a free update to the latest revision in the 9.x series (9.6.1), which should be downloadable from your account on Lightwave3d.com. Updating to the latest 9.x revision will get you better FBX import and export capabilities.

The version and revision you're currently using are so old, you're going to have difficulty finding plugins that are compatible with it and still offer better FBX support.

Honestly, I'm a bit shocked such an old dongle driver even works in Windows 10. What color is it?

newhere
05-27-2018, 12:48 AM
Lightwave looks the way it always has (at Least to me.....the stone aged dinosaur fossil):

newhere
05-27-2018, 12:51 AM
The rendered one in attachment i'm still working on, but the rigged one is ready for online upload. Which i will release later on. If i could only get that plugin without upgrading......usually, i give software programs a grace period of 7 to 10 years before i need to update them. But in this case of lightwave, i have not really seen a big major change in LW where i would definitely need too.

Besides creating game assets, If you was able to create playable games all in LW software, that would be an important leap for newtek and i most definitely upgrade to a newer version pronto.

Marander
05-27-2018, 01:02 AM
Lightwave looks the way it always has (at Least to me.....the stone aged dinosaur fossil):

Yes unfortunately that's a sad truth, almost nothing has been done the last 11 years to improve LW's UI.

VPR and some minor OpenGL enhancements are the only things worth mentioning in my opinion but they don't qualify as UI design in my opinion.

jeric_synergy
05-27-2018, 01:13 AM
::popcorn::

Marander
05-27-2018, 02:09 AM
On a side note, LW 2018 still doesn't support LOD, SubD info or Substances in FBX import / export (nor its latest format / implementation) and no UE4 bridge like most other packages have. No HoudiniEngine integration. OpenSubDiv is missing too. No native SBAR support.

Very limited for modern game asset creation (and pipeline integration).

CaptainMarlowe
05-27-2018, 02:28 AM
On a side note, LW 2018 still doesn't support LOD, SubD info or Substances in FBX import / export (nor its latest format / implementation) and no UE4 bridge like most other packages have. No HoudiniEngine integration. OpenSubDiv is missing too. No native SBAR support.

Very limited for modern game asset creation (and pipeline integration).

There's indeed a lot of room for improvement on this side. I sure hope the recent modeler survey, which seems to be quite oriented towards game assets modelling, will give NT enough food for thought to tackle this subject seriously.

jwiede
05-27-2018, 05:43 PM
There's indeed a lot of room for improvement on this side. I sure hope the recent modeler survey, which seems to be quite oriented towards game assets modelling, will give NT enough food for thought to tackle this subject seriously.

Claims "they didn't know before now" about needs regarding Substance and OpenSubDiv support ring rather hollow. When a new tech is rapidly picked up and incorporated by nigh-all 3D app competitors, it shouldn't require subsequent years and a survey of their own customers to tell them those technologies are important. That it has (presuming the survey even leads to any timely results) is a strong indication that Newtek needs to be paying much closer attention to what's happening in the 3D marketplace.

jwiede
05-27-2018, 05:51 PM

Sure, but what I was asking was the color of your LW USB dongle?

CaptainMarlowe
05-27-2018, 10:58 PM
Claims "they didn't know before now" about needs regarding Substance and OpenSubDiv support ring rather hollow. When a new tech is rapidly picked up and incorporated by nigh-all 3D app competitors, it shouldn't require subsequent years and a survey of their own customers to tell them those technologies are important. That it has (presuming the survey even leads to any timely results) is a strong indication that Newtek needs to be paying much closer attention to what's happening in the 3D marketplace.

Of course. I completely agree. Opensubdiv and substance have been much needed for years. What I meant is I hope the survey is the sign they understood that they do have to move on with modeler modernisation as a priority task, now. Now, of course, I am perhaps too optimisitic a dreamer. Time will tell.