PDA

View Full Version : Cut a Vortex in Half

gridman144
05-16-2018, 09:35 AM
I'm pretty new to LW 2018 and doing some scientific illustrations.

I created a vortex using the Torus+ plugin, then copied it so I had 10 identical vortexes. I surfaced each one with a different color, then placed then on the same origin, but each is offset slightly and rotated a bit. The result is in the attached screenshot.

In one of the vortexes, I passed a plane through it vertically, and I would like to cut the vortex in half and open it up. I thought about using the Boolean tools, but I am not sure that is the correct method.

Can someone tell me, what is the best Modeler tool for this?

jeric_synergy
05-16-2018, 10:13 AM
You COULD use the Boolean tools, but it might be quicker to simply DRILL a line, and delete the points on one side. Depends on how much volume there is in your vortex, umm..thingies. That is, if the ends need to be capped.

gridman144
05-16-2018, 10:25 AM
I don't need the ends to be capped. I'll try the drill.

jeric_synergy
05-16-2018, 10:26 AM
This is one instance where the neglected VOLUME SELECT (aka 'rectangle select') might actually be useful.

But DRILL will put a nice, consistent line to cut to, which the vortex operation might otherwise have staggered.

gridman144
05-16-2018, 11:11 AM
I ended up using the Boolean Subtract tool and that worked well for what I need. Screenshot from Modeler attached.

Thanks for the help.