PDA

View Full Version : LW2018 and point light lens flares: secret sauce?

Spinland
05-16-2018, 05:05 AM
I was using lens flares on point lights in 2015.3, with a rotating star filter for that "photon torpedo" look as the lights danced about. I can't seem to get the flares to appear at all in 2018.0.4. I've gone over the docs, tried to import a scene where they worked in 2015, and tried to create a new point light from scratch. So far as I know I've enabled everything I'm supposed to. Nothing at all, not in VPR or in F9 renders.

Here's a shot of what I'm seeing as well as all the pertinent (so far as I know) config windows.

Any and all ideas as to what I'm doing wrong are very welcome. Thanks in advance! :jam:

Tim Parsons
05-16-2018, 07:00 AM
Remember lens flares only show up in a Camera view. With the new volumetric system they are super awesome now!

Spinland
05-16-2018, 07:26 AM
Remember lens flares only show up in a Camera view. With the new volumetric system they are super awesome now!

I saw that, but that's supposed to be a camera view in that screenshot.

Spinland
05-16-2018, 07:32 AM
Yeah, that VPR shot is of my camera view. Also, this is an F9 render: nothing.

I've tried it with and without volumetrics enabled, and also with and without legacy volumetrics; no difference. If there's some (to me) obscure checkbox that's off by default in 2018 I haven't been able to find it. :grumpy:

Tim Parsons
05-16-2018, 07:35 AM
Well in that case the "secret sauce" is to just turn them on. :) As far as I can tell you've got that covered. What version are you running? Might be a Mac thing. It looks like the light might be in an enclosed area so it could be a glow behind or fade behind issue. Clear your scene and try it just against an all black background.

Spinland
05-16-2018, 07:35 AM
Okay, weird. I cleared the scene, dropped just a single point light into the empty space, and now the flares work.

Oi.

This is why I drink.

Spinland
05-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Well in that case the "secret sauce" is to just turn them on. :) As far as I can tell you've got that covered. What version are you running? Might be a Mac thing.

Heh. Methinks today's secret sauce is going to be a good single malt. Something must be borked in the scene file. Just gonna start afresh and bring the objects back in and declare victory. Thanks for the help! :beerchug:

Tim Parsons
05-16-2018, 07:43 AM
No problem. Declare victory - I like that. :)