PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with Streaming to Facebook?

TWOCLive
05-14-2018, 08:22 AM
Was not able to for our Mothers Day service, came up with an RTMP error. Youtube streaming worked fine. IS there something I should know????

joseburgos
05-14-2018, 08:39 AM
What model TriCaster?
What version of TriCaster software?
This is using the NewTek stream plug-in?

I streamed fine to FaceBook on Thursday but have not used it since then so can't confirm but since no one called me about FaceBook streaming questions over the weekend, I must conclude it may be an isolated issue.

Lee-AVP
05-14-2018, 10:44 AM
We can also not stream to Facebook. Nor Ustream, though this one we can get to work by copying in the RTMP info. TC1, most recent update.

It was exceptionally embarrassing when the customer comes up to me and says, "Hey, can we also stream to XYZ?" and I say, "Sure! All I need us a username and password!" only to be met with inability to log in and to stream.

There are threads throughout these forums suggesting the various ways to go about getting the RTMP settings for streaming to different Facebook locations; in one of my threads, it was pointed out that UStream logins no longer work, so we have to get the URL/Key pair there, too.

Meanwhile, in Wirecast, it just works. Plug in username and password, select the publishing point, and away you go.

joseburgos
05-14-2018, 11:13 AM
It does work so I suggest contacting NewTek support. Support chat I find to be the quickest way and I highly recommend it.
My guess is your Intel HD driver needs to be updated but just a guess

Lee-AVP
05-14-2018, 12:04 PM
That's a good possibility. We had to do a factory reset not too long ago, and while I remembered to update the nvidia GPU, I may not have gotten the Intel.

UStream login still doesn't work, though. :)

kanep
05-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Facebook did have major streaming problems over the weekend. Lots of people were not able to stream, it didn't matter what streaming solution they were using.

TWOCLive
05-14-2018, 01:44 PM
What model TriCaster?
What version of TriCaster software?
This is using the NewTek stream plug-in?

I streamed fine to FaceBook on Thursday but have not used it since then so can't confirm but since no one called me about FaceBook streaming questions over the weekend, I must conclude it may be an isolated issue.

I am using the MINI HD with the latest update. Intel drivers are up to date as well.

TakeOneDigital
05-14-2018, 03:17 PM
We had the SAME issue on multiple Tricasters in multiple venues Friday-Sunday. I think the NewTek plug-in somehow got its "hooks" unhooked with the update that FB is doing to live streaming. AND we had the same UStream issues (log in and never get authorization). Our current (this week) workarounds for these are:
- Facebook - Kill the preset > start a new FB preset > log in > set it up > stream > after streaming once go back to start
- UStream - Legacy > Custom > input rtmp info HERE. Other methods wouldn't work.

Note that Facebook Live now allows RTMP streaming WITH A PERSISTENT STREAM KEY! This is amazing news! If you go to start a live FB feed through the web itself, you can now get a RTMP and stream key can can be used "infinitely" on that page. Hallelujah!

SBowie
05-14-2018, 03:34 PM
I spoke to our lead streaming dev about this last week, and he told me the Facebook API leaves a lot to be desired right now as they are updating things. It may be awhile yet. :(

Lee-AVP
05-15-2018, 08:47 AM
Thanks for looking in to it, Steve. I know Tricaster is certainly a different class of product than, for example, Wirecast, but I find it disappointing that Telestream is able to keep up with these API updates, but Newtek is not. I may be wrong, but I imagine Facebook and Ustream give plenty of heads up when an API change is coming, so I think it's reasonable for us to expect Newtek to stay in front of these things. Tricaster is sold - and we sell our customers respectively - as a one-box solution, with one of the three 'legs' of the 'Tri'caster representing streaming. Yeah, we carry other encoders as emergency backup, and advise others to do the same. But lately we're having to treat our backups as a required accessory.

I don't wanna shoot the messenger or anything, but between the current streaming problems, the previous audio problems, the SDI problems before that... it's been a tough few months.

SBowie
05-15-2018, 09:39 AM
I may be wrong, but I imagine Facebook and Ustream give plenty of heads up when an API change is coming, so I think it's reasonable for us to expect Newtek to stay in front of these things.I don't disagree with you very much in your post, but from what I've been told the Facebook API is a bit of an outlier just at the moment.