PDA

View Full Version : Limited region idiocrazy made LW go backwards again!

jaxtone
05-13-2018, 03:05 AM
Hey now, I confess without any excuses that I am a rookie when it comes to the new and fantastic version of Lightwave 3D 2018! But when reading the following line I guess the word "fantastic" would be translated to "old time mannered" version of Lightwave 3D 1994.

"On Layout’s Render tab, you can find the Set Limited Region command. This allows you to be precise about the size you wish to set, instead of just dragging the handles in the viewport."

Sorry to say it but have the dev team gone mad for real? The new world is all about interactivity and the mission for every company, freelance or big player is always find the shortest way to a goal, at least if you wan't to survive financially. That's how things are shaped to keep up with a market that always craves faster deliveries to assure the customer to always assign as a supplier of whatever he sell or produce. I don't say I like it but that's the harsh reality for most of us.

So from who did the dev team got the mission to take away one of the few really interactive parts of Lightwave that rather had been know for the like of typing digits for most of their contents come to life experience. Ok, I must say that creating cubes are still an easy part of the whole thing but...

I am so f---ing dissapointed when reading the line above... "instead of dragging the handles in the viewport". Are they for real or just playing stupid? I guess the whole team should use that vintage concept when they clean, do their dishes or wash their socks. Use digits instead of their hands... OMG :)

erikals
05-13-2018, 06:42 AM
dragging the handles in the viewport
:dito:

needs to be brought back, the last days, i've used interactive Limited Region constantly for testing render quality in LW11

BeeVee
05-13-2018, 06:44 AM
You can still drag the handles! If you want your Limited Region to be an exact size and position you can use the digits - there's nothing to say you have to use one or the other. In fact, you can use both. Position the handles visually, then refine with the numbers.

B

erikals
05-13-2018, 09:21 AM
ah, good. i don't have it installed but relieved to hear this.

the additional numeric input is quite welcome, i could have had the use for it yesterday.
(because of Xvid codec requirements, long story short)

SBowie
05-13-2018, 10:19 AM
I cannot tell you what a huge relief it is to know 'the dev team has not gone mad for real', nor are they 'playing stupid'.:devil:

Bill Carey
05-13-2018, 10:27 AM
I cannot tell you what a huge relief it is to know 'the dev team has not gone mad for real', nor are they 'playing stupid'.:devil:

Had some sarcasm lined up, but you've covered it.

BeeVee
05-13-2018, 10:32 AM
@Erikals, the function is in 2015 already. This is not new to 2018 (might even be in 11.x, don't have it installed anymore). As for XVid, I know the x16 limitation but the way I get around it with previews is to make sure they are undocked and I usually use the default 640x480.

B
PS Oh and @Steve: Are you sure? Are you? ;)

erikals
05-13-2018, 11:13 AM
@Erikals, the function is in 2015 already.
cool, i'm on the LW11 train. lookin' forward to using it

regarding the developers having gone mad, who knows...

on the positive side... solved! :caffeine::yoda:

jaxtone
05-13-2018, 11:28 AM
Ok BeeVee!

You have always been helpful and polite to me... my frustration may come out the wrong and I apologize if it hurt someone in person, but tell me this. What am I going to do when you tell me that the handles are there but they cannot be seen in my program version? There are not a sign of the traditional handles that were easy to spot in my last version of Lightwave that happened to be LW 11.6.

Did the team eliminate them only in my version of Lightwave 3D 2018 or am I going more mad than unusual :)

If I canīt see the handles there are two other optional reality versions where the first might be that either you or me are hallucinating or secondly that the dev team donīt want to have them be shown up by default any longer. In the second presumptive solution I have a following question: Where and why are they hidden?

PS. Updated information. I tried to start and shut down Lightwave 2018 and you know what? The limited region does not open directly when clicking it from time to time. Have to shut down Lightwave 2018, re-open it and activate and un-click the button a couple of times and then wait... after a while they show up but not directly. That seems a little bit strange to me and I will definitely check up so no external process are interfering with this function in Lightwave and mess things up.

You can still drag the handles! If you want your Limited Region to be an exact size and position you can use the digits - there's nothing to say you have to use one or the other. In fact, you can use both. Position the handles visually, then refine with the numbers.

B

erikals
05-13-2018, 11:33 AM
might be a bug then, if all falls short, take a screengrab and upload here,
https://imgur.com/upload

one could also make a preview video, for tricky stuff, i do that at times and send it to LightWave-bugs

https://i.imgur.com/5jEi2Ve.png

there are still LW2018 bugs to squash, do note that no app is without it, especially very advanced 3D apps

it is good that you ask here first.
a bit less frustrating tone is a better choice, but we settled that.

prometheus
05-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Ok BeeVee!

You have always been helpful and polite to me... my frustration may come out the wrong and I apologize if it hurt someone in person, but tell me this. What am I going to do when you tell me that the handles are there but they cannot be seen in my program version? There are not a sign of the traditional handles that were easy to spot in my last version of Lightwave that happened to be LW 11.6.

Did the team eliminate them only in my version of Lightwave 3D 2018 or am I going more mad than unusual :)

If I canīt see the handles there are two other optional reality versions where the first might be that either you or me are hallucinating or secondly that the dev team donīt want to have them be shown up by default any longer. In the second presumptive solution I have a following question: Where and why are they hidden?

PS. Updated information. I tried to start and shut down Lightwave 2018 and you know what? The limited region does not open directly when clicking it from time to time. Have to shut down Lightwave 2018, re-open it and activate and un-click the button a couple of times and then wait... after a while they show up but not directly. That seems a little bit strange to me and I will definitely check up so no external process are interfering with this function in Lightwave and mess things up.

Jaxtone, I donīt understand your problem, so whatīs the fuzz? :tongue:
there are two button commands in 2018 ..limited region, which allows for dragging your region, and there is set limited region, the first needs no introduction and works interactively, the second..you simply specify your desired size and hit ok, when that is done..you can still drag those handles to change your size.

Now..these handles are visible in opengl, not sure if you expect vpr to show the handles? In such case you should choose opeenGL wireframe see images..

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141675&d=1526233485

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141676&d=1526233496

jaxtone
05-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Wosh, probably you sent this just at the same second I put a new answer to BeeVee in this thread.

I know how the Limited Region looks like, it just donīt show up in my new Lightwave 2018 version from time to time. Hereīs what I wrote:

I tried to start and shut down Lightwave 2018 and you know what? The limited region does not open directly when clicking it from time to time. Have to shut down Lightwave 2018, re-open it and activate and un-click the button a couple of times and then wait... after a while they show up but not directly. That seems a little bit strange to me and I will definitely check up so no external process are interfering with this function in Lightwave and mess things up.

Jaxtone, I donīt understand your problem, so whatīs the fuzz? :tongue:
there are two button commands in 2018 ..limited region, which allows for dragging your region, and there is set limited region, the first needs no introduction and works interactively, the second..you simply specify your desired size and hit ok, when that is done..you can still drag those handles to change your size.

Now..these handles are visible in opengl, not sure if you expect vpr to show the handles? In such case you should choose opeenGL wireframe see images..

prometheus
05-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Wosh, probably you sent this just at the same second I put a new answer to BeeVee in this thread.

I know how the Limited Region looks like, it just donīt show up in my new Lightwave 2018 version from time to time. Hereīs what I wrote:

I tried to start and shut down Lightwave 2018 and you know what? The limited region does not open directly when clicking it from time to time. Have to shut down Lightwave 2018, re-open it and activate and un-click the button a couple of times and then wait... after a while they show up but not directly. That seems a little bit strange to me and I will definitely check up so no external process are interfering with this function in Lightwave and mess things up.

Could be opengl settings, or your graphics card even, make sure to download drivers etc.
In display preferences, there is also a checkbox "limited region handles" if that is unchecked ..you will not get the corner handles.
And make sure you use cam views, perspective or orthograpic views will not show anything.

jaxtone
05-13-2018, 11:57 AM
I did that earlier this week but can check up if there is even newer! Thanks for the advice!

Could be opengl settings, or your graphics card even, make sure to download drivers etc.

BeeVee
05-13-2018, 04:50 PM
Hej Erikals,
Just re-installed 11.6.3 and lucky you...

:)

B

erikals
05-14-2018, 04:14 AM
Hej Erikals,
Just re-installed 11.6.3 and lucky you...

:)

B

No Way!  :) :)

after all these years... i never knew  :)

this comes at a perfect time, i'm doing a lot of test-rendering with Xvid.

Thank You!

https://i.imgur.com/tJGL61i.png

erikals
05-14-2018, 04:44 AM
testing, i see the Limited Region lies a bit (?)

640x480 doesn't create a valid Xvid format
639x479 however does

not sure if the same goes in LW2018

anyway, happy this works :)

BeeVee
05-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Interesting! Why not use a Preview? That works perfectly with the undock - I use it regularly.

B

- - - Updated - - -

No Way!  :) :)

I think you'll find that's written "Norway", but I might be wrong... ;)

B

SBowie
05-14-2018, 08:37 AM
PS Oh and @Steve: Are you sure? Are you? ;)Please note that the criteria are biased geographically. A rather high level of insanity being endemic to the UK (thanks to the likes of Cleese and Co., Benny Hill, the Two Ronnies, the Carry On gang, Peter Sellers, etc., etc.), benchmarks have been adjusted upward year by year, so that at present a level of effort is required that few can achieve.

BeeVee
05-14-2018, 09:42 AM
I think they are perhaps a symptom, rather than a cause... :)

B

SBowie
05-14-2018, 09:44 AM
I think they are perhaps a symptom, rather than a cause... :)BChicken, egg ... parrot.

erikals
05-14-2018, 10:02 AM
I think you'll find that's written "Norway", but I might be wrong...

Cleese and Co.

... parrot.

i see a pattern here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIrBMt4eiRk

BeeVee
05-14-2018, 10:11 AM
Well, a moose bit my sister once... ;)

B

dwburman
05-14-2018, 10:28 AM
What am I going to do when you tell me that the handles are there but they cannot be seen in my program version? There are not a sign of the traditional handles that were easy to spot in my last version of Lightwave that happened to be LW 11.6.

The handles don't show up in VPR unless you turn on one of the OpenGL options.

https://youtu.be/MIuw8Mk1NM0

prometheus
05-14-2018, 10:54 AM

https://youtu.be/MIuw8Mk1NM0

Now...you are just acting like a parrot now, repeating what others already said:D
check post 11 in this thread:tongue:

dwburman
05-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Now...you are just acting like a parrot now, repeating what others already said:D
check post 11 in this thread:tongue:

Oops. I guess I skimmed past the middle of that post. :)

tburbage
05-16-2018, 11:41 PM

I logged a request a week or two ago suggesting that when you have VPR enabled, and turn on Limited Region, that they just automatically enable OpenGL Overlay.
New users must be confused as hell when they turn an obvious camera view feature on and nothing appears to happen...