PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2018 - FiberFX Load Object From Scene crashes Lightwave!

Paul_Boland
05-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Hi Folks.

There is a bug in Lightwave 2018 which has brought work on one of my movie projects to a complete halt. When I Load Object From Scene and I load in an object that has FiberFX hair/fur applied to it, once I switch to VPR mode (or if I already have it turned on) Layout crashes!! This bug was present in Lightwave 2018.0.3 (and I'm assuming previous versions). I reported it and it was confirmed to be a bug and it would be looked at. Lightwave 2018.0.4 is out now and this bug is still there. As a result, I can't load objects from one scene into another, that have FiberFX applied to them, and this has brought my Shooting Stars 3 movie project to a complete halt. I have reported the bug again to Newtek in the hope this can be sorted but the reason for this post is to first air the issue, and second to see if anyone has any ideas how to get around the issue?

MonroePoteet
05-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Yes, I can confirm this is a bug in LW2018.0.4 with a very simple FiberFX scene.

FYI, the issue appears to be that the Load Items from Scene doesn't correctly interpret the {Parent Name} subchunk of the Fiber primitive plugin section of the Scene file. Even if I move the subchunk to the beginning of the Plugin information, Load Scene will load it but Load Items from Scene will not:

Plugin PrimitiveHandler 1 FiberPrimitive
{ ParentName
"FiberFX_Tests:Layer5"
}
EndPlugin

So, if you use Load Scene, the Fiber primitive's Properties has a parent mesh:

whereas using Load Items from Scene doesn't properly tie the Fiber primitive to its parent mesh:

As well, it isn't just VPR. If you try to Clone the Fiber primitive, it also crashes Layout.

I've attached my very simplistic FiberFX test scene. You might add this information and the simple test scene to your Bug Report, if you haven't already provided a reproducer for them.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any workaround without a code change to make Load Items from Scene find the {ParentName} chunk and properly tie the Fiber primitive to its parent mesh.

mTp

MonroePoteet
05-12-2018, 06:19 PM
A further review of the LWS file may mean there are other sources of not tying the Fiber primitive to its parent mesh. There's also an FFobject chunk which references the parent mesh, as well as ItemID's identifying it.

I still think the source of the crash is not having the parent mesh set up correctly, for whatever reason (any of these, or something else).

mTp

Paul_Boland
05-12-2018, 06:19 PM
MonroePoteet, thanks very much for looking into this and confirming the issue, and what's wrong. I have updated the bug report with this. I appreciate it.

Paul_Boland
05-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Newtek got back to me on this matter with a solution. When you Load Object From Scene, you have to expand the Scene content in the load box and also load in the two FiberFX items too. Here's the pic they sent me:
When you do this, it works perfectly.

Paul_Boland
05-14-2018, 12:48 PM
UPDATE: Another bug. When you do as outlined above and load an object from one scene to another that has FiberFX applied to it, it works fine. But if you then load a second object in that also has FiberFX applied to it, Lightwave just closes instantly, no crash, just closes back to the desktop. Bummer :(.

jwiede
05-14-2018, 09:18 PM
These are the kinds of bugs that even rudimentary module testing and code review should be catching, so their surviving into release (and then across updates) is... very disappointing.

jeric_synergy
05-14-2018, 10:15 PM
::sigh::

Is it just me or are these kind of mistakes rather... bush league?

oliverhotz
05-14-2018, 11:25 PM
Hi Folks.

There is a bug in Lightwave 2018 which has brought work on one of my movie projects to a complete halt. When I Load Object From Scene and I load in an object that has FiberFX hair/fur applied to it, once I switch to VPR mode (or if I already have it turned on) Layout crashes!! This bug was present in Lightwave 2018.0.3 (and I'm assuming previous versions). I reported it and it was confirmed to be a bug and it would be looked at. Lightwave 2018.0.4 is out now and this bug is still there. As a result, I can't load objects from one scene into another, that have FiberFX applied to them, and this has brought my Shooting Stars 3 movie project to a complete halt. I have reported the bug again to Newtek in the hope this can be sorted but the reason for this post is to first air the issue, and second to see if anyone has any ideas how to get around the issue?

as a workaround.. you could try the fiberfx presets in my tools, which I believe you have.

Paul_Boland
07-06-2018, 04:36 AM
Lightwave 2018.0.5 is released and the bug still persists in FibreFX that crashes Lightwave when I try to load two FibreFX objects from a scene into a new scene. I’ve reported this bug again and again had it confirmed as a bug and again told it has being passed onto the developers to be fixed... Umm... This is becoming the new Sliders nonsense. Newtek, you’re ticking me off with this crap now!

RPSchmidt
07-06-2018, 07:09 AM
Lightwave 2018.0.5 is released and the bug still persists in FibreFX that crashes Lightwave when I try to load two FibreFX objects from a scene into a new scene. I’ve reported this bug again and again had it confirmed as a bug and again told it has being passed onto the developers to be fixed... Umm... This is becoming the new Sliders nonsense. Newtek, you’re ticking me off with this crap now!

This isn't a solution by any stretch, but perhaps a usable workaround.

With the original FiberFX object in the original Layout scene, open the FiberFX properties and save your settings to file. Then remove FiberFX and save the scene.

Do this for all of the objects you have FiberFX applied to in separate scenes and want to load into a new scene together.

Then load each object normally into a new Layout, add FiberFX and load your saved individual settings for each object.

You should have exactly what you started with in respect to the FiberFX on those objects.

I haven't tested it with more than two objects, but it worked for me with those two objects loaded from other scenes with no crashes in the new Layout window.

Kryslin
07-06-2018, 07:25 AM
[ Duplicated Information, nothing to see here...]

sudac20
07-06-2018, 09:45 AM
Lightwave 2018.0.5 is released and the bug still persists in FibreFX that crashes Lightwave when I try to load two FibreFX objects from a scene into a new scene. Iíve reported this bug again and again had it confirmed as a bug and again told it has being passed onto the developers to be fixed... Umm... This is becoming the new Sliders nonsense. Newtek, youíre ticking me off with this crap now!

ridiculous...

jwiede
07-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Well, Paul, I'd definitely recommend sending a PM to Chuck with the whole story, providing bug number, etc. Maybe he can light a needed fire under or on someone!

Chuck
07-09-2018, 03:02 PM
I'll check on this; but please bear in mind while I can inquire on things and suggest moving something up in the priority list, I can't really light fires under anyone.

Paul_Boland
07-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback, and Chuck, thanks too. Hope to see this sorted soon.

jwiede
07-19-2018, 09:55 PM
I can't really light fires under anyone.

Then who should customers contact who can? There's got to be a better escalation path than just "post and pray" when significant issues aren't getting addressed in timely manner.

By any reasonable standard, this is a fairly severe bug/regression (it's a crasher, user-data corrupter, and reliable repro), and it's been around across multiple updates. Contextually, it's even pretty clear what's going on (n FFX LFS can't each require overwriting the master FFX singleton, FFX clearly shouldn't be keeping instance-reliant state in master context but is), so the work should be scope-/bound-able -- at least enough so that customers can be updated on whether fix is (likely) forthcoming in update, or (likely) to be outside scope for the version cycle.