PDA

View Full Version : whats next for lw?

vonpietro
05-10-2018, 03:17 PM
So i'd like to know, whats next for lightwave?

I'd like to see
more advancements with instancing.
a realistic ocean maker where you can add objects moving and it creates reaslistic wake.
much better bullet physics
a better way to apply textures
substance support
those are just the ones i can think of on the top of my head.

erikals
05-10-2018, 04:09 PM
more advancements with instancing
this is actually one of the things i like a lot about the current LightWave
there are plenty of cool instance methods
-LightWave native   -Advanced Placement   -OD tools

ocean, realistic wake
yep, more work on this. there are some alright tricks that can be mixed with the LW HOT plugin
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=LightWave+wake

better bullet physics
indeed always welcome

a better way to apply textures
yes, in what way though were you thinking of ?

substance support
did OD Tools have this? i think it might..

vonpietro
05-10-2018, 06:03 PM
For all these things i'd just like to see more built in tools doing a better job.

for textures, i know we can move a texture around with a null and get real time placement of things like that.
but i dont want a null to do it. you can nudge a texture with the controls but it's antiquated, i saw a website that let me drag a texture around an object and place it exactly where i wanted it in seconds.
lightwave makes you dial it in through a crappy interface broken into x y z. thats the old way of moving a graphic around.
so what i'd like is the same thing that website had - it was some paint stickers on an airplane design thing - and moving around textures was right on the object, you could rotate it, scale it and move it all just by dragging it around.
thats what lw needs, not this old texturing through a dialogue method.

the website was an old hainan airlines promotion and loaded an aircraft in for you to stick logos and clip art all over. it was all inside the gui, no panels to move anything. perfect for lw too.
substance painter - i'd like newtek to talk to them - i talked to the president of substance during his substance days thing at gnomon - i asked him directly for lw support he said its not in the works at all and had no dialogue with newtek at all. Substance has quickly become an industry standard, and integration with it should be something newtek should seriously consider.

hrgiger
05-10-2018, 06:36 PM
I doubt you'll see a native Substance integration. Pretty sure that would involve some money and developer investment that NT isn't likely to invest in LW. Substance has since dropped native loading of .lwo files.

Gungho3D
05-10-2018, 10:06 PM
VonPietro my friend ...

"A realistic ocean maker where you can add objects moving and it creates realistic wake"
So I note two things about this hoped for capability: ocean & object interaction with the same.

I think even Houdini breaks this into two, meaning direct interaction is managed locally around the object and the results are blended back seamlessly into a greater "ocean".

And from what I recall about Realflow, I thing the break down is about the same

The H.O.T Ocean plugin we have available for LW ... is good for local patches of water, but struggles for creating huge bodies of water. Also HOT is not (last time I tried) compatible with LW2018 ...

Blender has "Fluid Dynamics" but is seriously limited regarding where that as a tool can be stretched to

Lately we've had darkChief's "Deep Rising" plugin, but it is not "ocean creation" ready

There have been other plugins, some still around, some now "decesaed"

And yes, there are work-arounds achieveabe in LW

At the heart of your list of topics (including ocean and water interaction) is the seeking of solutions which are built in and good to go, straight out of the LW box, with nothing more to pay. Probably a fully swept version of LW with everything our hearts have ever desired ... yes, there would be "no more to pay", but we definitely would be paying substantially more to cover the R&D leading to that point of product capability.

But coming back to the ocean/water example: the "good news" is there are solutions for getting an ocean + object-to-water-interaction into LW and even rendered therein. The "bad news" is that all of these come at a co$t, both monetary (neither Houdini nor Realflow can be had for a song) as well as figuring out how to get it done.

This is the case even with excellent products like LWCAD, TFD, AR/VR export, and lately the amazing set of OD Tools and other etc etc ... a list which stretches all the way to external products such as Substance, as you have mentioned.

The key thing in my mind is that a lot of capability for getting stuff done (e.g. Substance integration) already exists - and yes, this is external to LW and not "LW native". But it exists and is available. And yes we pay, although I recognize some of these extras may be beyond the budgetary reach of some, and I mean no disrespect.

For other levels of capability, at the level of "I want to achieve Hollywood style 'can't tell if it's real or not' results", yes it occasionally means severe CO$$$T to get the specific tools which allow for that. Or, as some amazingly talented people on this forum have amply demonstrated many times, there are work-arounds.

Just my thoughts if you've read this far :D

Gungho3D
05-10-2018, 10:52 PM
substance support
did OD Tools have this? i think it might..
Yep - it's in OD Tools

Marander
05-11-2018, 01:41 AM
Yep - it's in OD Tools

Actually not completely correct. OD Tools can read images prepared by Substance only afaik.

Substance (sbar) support is possible with the OD Substance Reader which is a separate product (not part of OD Tools) and requires the Substance Automation kit to work. Once configured, it works very well..

I agree that there is a lot of base functionality missing in LW that requires 3rd party plugins. Considering the additional money needed for this and the fact that most features are way better designed and integrated in other packages, it demishes its initial price advantage quite a lot. I certainly have spent more $ for LW plugins than for LW itself.

3rd party plugins for other applications (and even their base functionality) allow many things that are simply not possibly in any way in LW.

if I would be a professional, I would want to use an efficient and modern solution. Well in my case even as hobbyist, LW is only a secondary app.

One has to know that LW is a cheap solution with lots of limitations and outdated parts, but not everybody is planning to create the next LOTR. On the other hand there is potential in LW for creating simple effects for me.

Gungho3D
05-11-2018, 03:02 AM
Actually not completely correct. OD Tools can read images prepared by Substance only afaik.

Substance (sbar) support is possible with the OD Substance Reader which is a separate product (not part of OD Tools) and requires the Substance Automation kit to work. Once configured, it works very well..

Actually Marander you are right, I stand corrected.

OD Tools simplifies the use of SP generated imagery, and ".sbar" file reading and integration is a separate OD app. But even in this, very helpful.

tcoursey
05-11-2018, 07:23 AM
I'd like modeler updates, LWCAD is the only reason I've stayed with LW modeler in the past years. Viktor is amazing! If he doesn't have a team, he is proof lot's can be done with small team of 1 :)

I'd like improvements on UI. I really like workspaces, snapping panels and customization. I fiddle with Modeler every time I open it up to get my panels to fit just right on my 30" 4K monitor. Oh yea there's that, 4k support, I hate fuzzy text when I have to have windows scale to 150%.

I absolutely love instances in LW. I love Octane integration, enjoy Layout/Modeler as seperate apps, but know I'm missing alot for animation. Lot's to love, but more hopefully is coming.

echadez
05-13-2018, 08:33 AM
VonPietro my friend ...

The H.O.T Ocean plugin [...] Also HOT is not (last time I tried) compatible with LW2018 ...

The 2D/3D nodes crash Lightwave 2018. However, the geometry displacement alone (Geometry tab -> Add Modifier -> HOT Ocean Toolkit) works great in 2018. I just rendered a scene with rolling waves and it looks great (LW 2018.0.4 + HOT Ocean Toolkit + a Mac).

Thanks to Maxim Capra for recompiling this back in 2015:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145529-Houdini-Ocean-Toolkit-4-LW&p=1420627#post1420627

Download from here (the link should be at the top of the page. If not then search on page for Houdini):

http://www.maximcapra.com/?page_id=81

Gungho3D
05-14-2018, 09:46 PM
The 2D/3D nodes crash Lightwave 2018. However, the geometry displacement alone (Geometry tab -> Add Modifier -> HOT Ocean Toolkit) works great in 2018. I just rendered a scene with rolling waves and it looks great (LW 2018.0.4 + HOT Ocean Toolkit + a Mac) ...
Hey Echadez, thanks for the heads up!

EL Hombre
06-13-2018, 08:48 PM
What's preventing newtek from combining layout and modeler?

What if they just rewrite lightwave from the ground up?

3D Kiwi
06-13-2018, 09:06 PM
They have already tried to unify lightwave and failed. Really cant see Lightwave being unified ever.

paulhart
06-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Okay folks, real life problem and apparent fumble by Lightwave 2018. I have used Lightwave for a 'very long time' and come back to it for animating and rendering, in company with modo (UV work and some modeling) and Blender, further procedural and node based modeling and reliable FX. Here is the challenge, with Lightwave 2018, in it's current irritation (iteration??). I have a backplate of a Gothic church and out buildings with a courtyard coming towards the camera, which is not to be altered. I created some 'shadow catching' geometry in Modeler, then moved it into Layout. Now, they need to align exactly, as viewed by the camera, which is fixed also, with the backplate filling the photo frame. I have UV'd the 'catcher' geometry so the moving cloud sky can leave a moving pattern across the courtyard and walls, along with animated objects casting their shadows, and then be comp'd back onto the backplate, in Post, along with the dramatic moving clouds footage, behind the church. All good, so far. Unfortunately there is no particularly good strategy to do this in Modeler, even with the Layout View active to show the Camera View from Layout. The Current Camera View, in Layout, is set to VPR display, and I have made the 'helper geo' semi-transparent to see the alignment with the static backplate. The Render shows the 'helper geo' in mis-aligned, even tho it looks fairly close in the VPR view. I move points in Modeler, watching the Layout View Window in Modeler, Save, Update, watch the Layout View of Current Camera, then Render again, and compare Rendered results to the VPR window (dissimiliar!) and move the points somewhat "blindly" in Modeler, using the Final Render in a separate program Photo Viewer display as a reference, Save, Update, Render, rinse and repeat. Annoying and frustrating process. I would hope that someone else in the "industry" has worked out this already, and I am just not informed. If I do it in Blender, the Camera, Modeling, and Render alignment are all right there, same in modo. The only thing that gets 'squirrely' is moving it back and forth between programs, since I really want to render and animate in Lightwave. This is a 'real life' example of trying to make the Modeler/Layout paradigm work cooperatively. I like a lot about Lightwave 2018, but am stunned by the current Open development cycle going on in the Blender 2.8 Code Quest and it keeps solving things I find difficult in Lightwave. So it goes....

Matt
06-14-2018, 09:45 AM
They have already tried to unify lightwave and failed.

Misleadingly incorrect.

paulhart
06-14-2018, 01:03 PM
I don't mind the Modeler/Layout split in the aspect of models being saved out and worked on in a specific environment, much like back stage props, brought on to the stage (Layout) to be brought to 'life.' This is something that annoys be about modo and Blender, and I like about Lightwave, except, I would want it to be a "TAB" or similar switch, which allow for modeling vertice level adjustments with a reliable Current Camera VPR style view (accurate please). Save models in one format, and the Scene is the other, allows a more collaborative workflow, but integrate the underlying geo-engine, so that everybody is playing in the same space, no "HUB" involvement. With all of the PBR ("REAL") rendering emphasis in the industry, I would also welcome some attention to the NPR side of the expressive equation, both in surface render treatment and line quality, speed, and artistic control. Sylvain Chomet is currently working on a new movie, and there is much to be honored in that style of visual language.

jwiede
06-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Misleadingly incorrect.

You do realize you are publicly asserting a customer intentionally provided inaccurate information, without providing even a shred of factual basis for the assertion you are making, right?

Or that, along with being a personal attack towards a customer, your statement is also impolite, despite the customer in question in no way making any sort of personal comment directed at you, nor a particularly impolite/uncivil comment?

paulhart
06-14-2018, 03:20 PM
In response to Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi, "They ... failed."
Matt: "Misleadingly incorrect."

You do realize you are publicly ... comment?
Alright, please, back to the question at hand, "What's Next for Lightwave."
Thank you everyone who contributes.

Morgan Nilsson
06-14-2018, 03:41 PM
You do realize you are publicly asserting a customer intentionally provided inaccurate information, without providing even a shred of factual basis for the assertion you are making, right?

Or that, along with being a personal attack towards a customer, your statement is also impolite, despite the customer in question in no way making any sort of personal comment directed at you, nor a particularly impolite/uncivil comment?

He was corrected in a concise and effective manner with no bad intentions. Jesus, calm down will you. The LW devs receive so much crap on a daily basis its amazing they keep working.

Back to the topic at hand. Well, Layout has received a lot of love lately, about time the same happens to modeler...hopefully :)

Matt
06-14-2018, 03:41 PM

Not a personal attack at all.

It is misleading in that at no time has Layout and Modeler ever been attempted to be merged. CORE was an entirely different product, so yes, it is misleading to say that Layout and Modeler as they stand have been attempted to be merged and failed.

I wasn't suggesting it was intentional, but the fact remains anyone reading that without knowing LW history will presume the _current_ product was attempted to be merged and failed, and that is incorrect.

50one
06-14-2018, 03:54 PM
What's next for LW?

Version 2019...duh!

erikals
06-14-2018, 04:01 PM
What's next for LW?
Modeler improvements perhaps

shrox
06-14-2018, 04:04 PM
These types of questions are little more than clickbait at this point.

3D Kiwi
06-14-2018, 04:08 PM
Misleadingly incorrect.

Then what was core?

fishhead
06-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Then what was core?

Matt clarified already --> #20

3D Kiwi
06-14-2018, 05:30 PM
The general perception was they attempted to create a unified lightwave and failed,

The fact that they didn't try and merge Layout and Modeler is irrelevant.

As for what is next for Lightwave, who knows, I guess we will find out in about 3 years :-)

JamesCurtis
06-14-2018, 08:18 PM
Let's just hope that there are several improvements (point release updates) to the current version for now especially in the area of render speed in the next month or so. Three years is a bit too long to wait for that.

Chris S. (Fez)
06-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Meh. NM

Ztreem
06-15-2018, 02:19 AM
I always thought that LW8 was an attempt to bring modeling into layout and failed?

erikals
06-15-2018, 02:36 AM
according to Jay Roth, yes, they did try,

but had to scrap that idea since it proved impossible to bring modeler tools into Layout.

hrgiger
06-15-2018, 02:36 AM
I always thought that LW8 was an attempt to bring modeling into layout and failed?

No, that was LW 9 that they said they were going to put modeling into layout. And failed.

Also, based on the fact that the CC SubDs and edge support they put into LW 9 are both only half working, I'd say their efforts to put modeling tools into modeler also failed.

erikals
06-15-2018, 02:48 AM
LightWave 3D Modeler Survey - NewTek
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156427-LightWave-3D-Modeler-Survey

so modeling improvements -might- be next

http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngChuck
Some things to note: that we plan to work on Modeler does not imply anything with regard to what we may do in future in Layout with respect to modeling capabilities, and most especially does not preclude future advances for modeling in Layout.

Tobian
06-15-2018, 04:28 AM
Do we honestly need another one of these threads?

1) You will find out when they make an announcement/blog post or similar.

2) churning up past mistakes/old staff will make them LESS likely to share/interact.

3) Unless they employ Microsoft marketing techniques, it will be a numerical integer higher than the previous version.

samurai_x
06-15-2018, 05:00 AM
Okay folks, real life problem and apparent fumble by Lightwave 2018. I have used Lightwave for a 'very long time' and come back to it for animating and rendering, in company with modo (UV work and some modeling) and Blender, further procedural and node based modeling and reliable FX. Here is the challenge, with Lightwave 2018, in it's current irritation (iteration??). I have a backplate of a Gothic church and out buildings with a courtyard coming towards the camera, which is not to be altered. I created some 'shadow catching' geometry in Modeler, then moved it into Layout. Now, they need to align exactly, as viewed by the camera, which is fixed also, with the backplate filling the photo frame. I have UV'd the 'catcher' geometry so the moving cloud sky can leave a moving pattern across the courtyard and walls, along with animated objects casting their shadows, and then be comp'd back onto the backplate, in Post, along with the dramatic moving clouds footage, behind the church. All good, so far. Unfortunately there is no particularly good strategy to do this in Modeler, even with the Layout View active to show the Camera View from Layout. The Current Camera View, in Layout, is set to VPR display, and I have made the 'helper geo' semi-transparent to see the alignment with the static backplate. The Render shows the 'helper geo' in mis-aligned, even tho it looks fairly close in the VPR view. I move points in Modeler, watching the Layout View Window in Modeler, Save, Update, watch the Layout View of Current Camera, then Render again, and compare Rendered results to the VPR window (dissimiliar!) and move the points somewhat "blindly" in Modeler, using the Final Render in a separate program Photo Viewer display as a reference, Save, Update, Render, rinse and repeat. Annoying and frustrating process. I would hope that someone else in the "industry" has worked out this already, and I am just not informed. If I do it in Blender, the Camera, Modeling, and Render alignment are all right there, same in modo. The only thing that gets 'squirrely' is moving it back and forth between programs, since I really want to render and animate in Lightwave. This is a 'real life' example of trying to make the Modeler/Layout paradigm work cooperatively. I like a lot about Lightwave 2018, but am stunned by the current Open development cycle going on in the Blender 2.8 Code Quest and it keeps solving things I find difficult in Lightwave. So it goes....

Very very wrong tool for the job.
i've never used lightwave for set extensions or modelling through camera in almost a decade.
I tested the new camera in modeler, from a brief test it didn't support parented cameras which is pretty common to have in a camera rig. I could be wrong but tested on a scene with a camera rig and it didn't work.
Besides that its impossible to match an object that has been modified in layout(displacement, etc) and show up in modeler correctly.
Other than that the new lightwave is still the same lightwave so less learning for folks that don't need modelling tools in layout.

Ztreem
06-15-2018, 05:26 AM
No, that was LW 9 that they said they were going to put modeling into layout. And failed.

Also, based on the fact that the CC SubDs and edge support they put into LW 9 are both only half working, I'd say their efforts to put modeling tools into modeler also failed.

Are you sure about that? I’m not so sure. Lw 9 was open beta and I don’t remember anything about modeling in layout mentioned at that time. Could be some talk about the modeling functions added in lw8 that we still have in lw today. Who cares? it’s still separated and will be for a long time... the ones that want unification just have to find other 3D programs to use.

SBowie
06-15-2018, 06:30 AM
Are you sure about that? I’m not so sure. Lw 9 was open beta and I don’t remember anything about modeling in layout mentioned at that time. Could be some talk about the modeling functions added in lw8 that we still have in lw today. Who cares? it’s still separated and will be for a long time... the ones that want unification just have to find other 3D programs to use.I'm going to take this rare opportunity to agree with you. :)

Specifically, with the fact that I don't think it's realistic to think that unification is on the horizon, or that - while there have been vague nods in the general direction of unification in the past, if you discount Core what we've seen in the past could at best be characterized as mucking about a bit on the extreme fringes of a merger.

I don't think I'd call this 'failing' to do it, since (again, discounting Core, which was - as Matt has pointed out - actually something else altogether) there has never been a serious attempt. This seems like a lot of pointless hair-splitting, though. Clearly, a merger would be a massive undertaking. I daresay it could be done, virtually nothing is impossible - but I am definitely not holding my breath.

Ztreem
06-15-2018, 10:12 AM
I'm going to take this rare opportunity to agree with you. :)

:D :thumbsup:

erikals
06-15-2018, 10:37 AM
there were some unification posts by Jay Roth, i believe those were over at CGtalk,
however all of those LightWave posts got deleted.

... a long time ago - like 10 years ago

Tobian
06-15-2018, 10:58 AM
So totally utterly irrelevant...

erikals
06-15-2018, 11:59 AM
what ?  this thread ?   the wayback 10 years ago post ?

http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngSBowie
while there have been vague nods in the general direction of unification in the past,

so, not totally irrelevant, if you refereed to my reply that is.

anyways, not sure why i replied to this thread... been discussed a 100 times before.

jwiede
06-15-2018, 12:16 PM
So totally utterly irrelevant...

So stop reading the thread. Nobody's forcing you to participate in this thread.

But no, instead you seek to silence others.

TheLexx
06-15-2018, 12:27 PM

I think it is because it is largely historical. I don't think 3D Kiwi was looking to mislead anyone but it was misleading by default since none of us were there behind the scenes. The danger is of turning into a parody thread like "Newtek failed, then they failed a second time, and I bet they fail again in the future" - okay no one specifically said that but it creates that sort of aura. Surely there are more things to look forward to. You've been cool enough to comment on the Metamorphic thread - I trust you find that one a good thing, as one example. :)

SBowie
06-15-2018, 12:31 PM
so, not totally irrelevant, if you refereed to my reply that is.

anyways, not sure why i replied to this thread... been discussed a 100 times before.It does seem to be getting a little circular. :)

Tobian
06-15-2018, 12:45 PM

A few comments made by an ex staff member pre-core are in any way relevant to a thread titled 'what's next for lw.

And 'silencing other's, what are you a 14 year old sjw? You stop reading the thread, no one is forcing you to participate, stop making this forum a toxic dumping ground. Now buzz off and report my post, and I'll report yours, we can both play that game. Clown.

hrgiger
06-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Are you sure about that? I’m not so sure. Lw 9 was open beta and I don’t remember anything about modeling in layout mentioned at that time. Could be some talk about the modeling functions added in lw8 that we still have in lw today. Who cares? it’s still separated and will be for a long time... the ones that want unification just have to find other 3D programs to use.

As others pointed out and yourself, it doesn't really matter. But Yes, I'm sure it was LW 9 because it was talked about in the original announcement for LW 9 where they talked about the new nodal system, edges, catmull clark, etc.... So technically since it was just before LW 9 was released, it would be during 8 so we're both right. But modeling in Layout was slated for LW 9.
LW 8 they wouldn't have made such a promise since they were just coming out of the period where the original team left to form Luxology.

Kryslin
06-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Not to sound snarky, or smart-***...

About the only thing we can be sure of for LW is that the version number increments, and that some more bugs get stomped. Whether that means 2018.0.5 or 2018.5, who knows?

What I'd like to see is refinement and optimization of existing features, and worry about fixing the big items for the major version releases... What we actually get,only the devs know...

OnlineRender
06-15-2018, 01:20 PM
I can't tell you what is NEXT , however I can tell you what is happening right now, if that helps!

===== MIDWEEK HIGHLIGHTS ===== 13/06/2018

----------------------------------------
News and Information
----------------------------------------

Speed Modelling - Challenge - POKER | GAMES
Deadline Monday 18th
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1438660599573268/

Octane 4 "Beta" for LightWave3 "yeee cheers Juanjo legend.."
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1440589439380384/

LWCAD 2018 - LIGHTWAVE2018
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1439401099499218/

NodeMeister:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1439000632872598/

KRAY 3: -update has added subsurface scattering
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1441044612668200/

TurbulenceFD group buy...
Time for the 3rd TurbulenceFD Group buy-in event!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1435546649884663/

MetaMorphic Update " sexy , painting tools"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1438962706209724/

EVENT:
CREATE EXPO 2018: 21st June.
Nearly time for Industry talks from some of the best in the land, would like to personally thank Anthony Hall for his efforts and M&S biscuits , honestly mate you bring a community together ... thanks!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1440951562677505/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
USER HELP- SOLUTIONS AND UNANSWERED

Quite old LW user I’m shamefully just starting how to use the Surface Node
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1440021012770560/

3D on a webpage
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1440392119400116/

SPINQUAD's - Awesome workflows
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1440442069395121/

It's like small white pixel
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1440472106058784/

What tool(s) replaced VertiBevel?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1424794200959908/

DOWNLOADS

30 PBR Materials FREE - offsite
https://gumroad.com/l/ekRhc

Symmetry Scripts and L-scripts
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1440148686091126/

Kit-Bashing Assets " great stuff "
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1438935042879157/

TUTORIALS - ANIMATION - INDUSTRY

Amiga-Lightwave Character Part 1
Superb Video - Pro Youtube stuff and yeee Amiga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXUtCF9mMJM

LIGHTWAVE QUICK BOLT
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1439521079487220/

Lightwave+Octane - River tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTUCPq2pSYY

FFX RANDOMIZER - OD TOOLS
https://vimeo.com/274105443

READING :
Best unpremultiply / premultiply / Alpha Divide explanation ever.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1435556876550307/

LAST WEEKS TUTORIAL SET
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1435554036550591/

-------------------------------------------------------------------
POST BOOST OF THE WEEK
------------------------------------------------------------------
£4 post boost - Martin Boumans
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1439871166118878/

£22 remaining,free credit don't moan :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
TOP BANNER OF THE WEEK
--------------------------------------------------------------

Kim Panattoni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1437689059670422/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARTWORK - RENDER - HONOURABLE MENTIONS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

René Falk Thomasius
procedural city instancing + animated procedural volumetrics
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1437778712994790/

Marco Valenzuela
Another teaser for my upcoming animation.
Lightwave + ZB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1435962193176442/

Mark Warner
Stylised LW/AE test. Splines, FFX, deformers + additional bits in AE
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1438343809604947/

Wai Hung Tsang
New showreel for 2018 - Play with sound for maximum effect
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1435377779901550/

Adrian Rios
WIP #porsche 911 launch
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1435814299857898/

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Official
----------------------------------------------------------------

DIscord https://discord.gg/cGUSfPE

-----------------------------------------------

SBowie
06-15-2018, 01:20 PM
OK, look - I have received a handful of reports about various posts in this thread, from a handful of people who are largely reporting each other - for offenses ranging from a little contentious if unintended to 'calling one another out'. Could we post about issues, not one another, please. Else, regrettably, moderation will be inevitable.

OnlineRender
06-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Wait .... forget the tutorials

Tutorial Thursday + Vids - "technically Friday here so it's befitting" #FIRSTRULE

How to Animate Falling Coins with Bullet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo_127Cpdos

Lightwave3D to 3DS MAX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB_f7XI5iAE

LightWave Modeller Align and Transform
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XerQCwgPfCI

LWCAD 2018 for LightWave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h-JmErHXLU

OD_Image Bill Board
https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/275159712

Live RnD 01 - Hypervoxels with Lightwave 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lm42vCt-i4

Octane for LightWave V4-Denoiser_Interior Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdNw6mz6DPw

Lightwave Dynamic Destruction Tests
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJKRUM8CR8

Making a cartoony type of bed in lightwave 3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPqHTOEeZs

Lightwave Corridor test with Deep Rising FX demo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI2wUw-KObQ

Spaceship Landing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-op_-5uqoyc

Pouring Water LW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Rq_buQQzA

procedural city instancing + animated procedural volumetrics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQ-Pvoh43k

==============================================

Hypervoxels lava_v3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSn4vY-ioM

20180613-Rendering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh980HKgiMQ

C'est pas vraiment ce que je voulais faire, mais bon..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGSBwIpbFGU

=============================================

yeah Friday! ,have a nice weekend folks , always around on the discord #plug

https://discord.gg/cGUSfPE

Ztreem
06-15-2018, 02:50 PM
Onlinerender: Thanks but too much fb for my taste.

OnlineRender
06-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Onlinerender: Thanks but too much fb for my taste.

fair-play, totally understand, tutorials are YOUTUBE best I can do

erikals
06-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Thanks Mister! :king:
Great List!

my favorite today is...

Best unpremultiply / premultiply / Alpha Divide explanation ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9c-uLcuVk8

samurai_x
06-15-2018, 09:44 PM
Specifically, with the fact that I don't think it's realistic to think that unification is on the horizon, or that - while there have been vague nods in the general direction of unification in the past, if you discount Core what we've seen in the past could at best be characterized as mucking about a bit on the extreme fringes of a merger.

After lw 2018 that's pretty cystal clear.
Everything is possible its just text and code. But a company needs to make money with the product to do that. Losing users to other appz = losing money.
And its not just lw, its younger brother is not performing well.

vonpietro
06-17-2018, 05:41 PM
thanks online renderer - some great stuff happening

if you did not know - Facebook has some of the best current lightwave material in the form of several well populated groups.

My number one reason for using facebook? the groups have tons of eye candy and info

erikaeick
06-18-2018, 02:37 PM
I would love to see a large super panel for Objects and their properties that is onscreen, like the right-hand one in Cinema4d which I also use, instead of chasing a whole bunch of keyboard shortcuts. I don't mind the Modeler/Layout split so much. If this panel could be moved to another monitor and be context sensitive to everything in a scene I'd love that too.

I'm just a beginner in LW so I apologize if this is already available...

papou
06-19-2018, 09:13 AM
What next for Lw?
What about bringing back the previous renderer as optional?

VonBon
06-19-2018, 09:22 AM
GUI overhaul is what should be next for LightWave.

Is the GUI low level code and thats why its hard to change?
Would it be possible to create the GUI of LW with HTML & CSS?

More efficient workflows could be solved with a more flexible GUI.

OnlineRender
06-19-2018, 09:55 AM

RE1
dont think going back to the old engine is even remotely possible,think how much you would actually lose! that and the new engine is more accurate ....

GUI meh not my area but you do have odpie menu and odroot "in-maintenance-mode-atm" which covers pretty much both of them to a certain degree...

as for worklow improvemts , odtools and node stuff from wolf is amazing...

Marander
06-19-2018, 10:14 AM

No that's not feasible (HTML + CSS) or at least nowhere close to best practice. That would be done in QT for example.

Well, at least new tools should at least be implemented in a user friendly and good looking manner and long standing issues should be corrected in 2018 which is not the case. There are many low hanging fruits in LW that wouldn't take much time to fix or should never even have been implemented that way (I'm saying this with 25+ years experience as solution architect and developer).

Look what Oliver or the Metamorphic developer have done within a short amount of time to work around for some of these issues. In fact most of Oliver's OD Tools shouldn't be required (because most of them fix issues in the standard Modeler and Layout functionality) and because LW doesn't allow a neat implementation of those, the UI gets even more cluttered (300+ tools hidden in so many different menus).

LW UI design and user experience was neglected many years and I would be very surprised if this would change substantially for the next version, but hey who knows...

samurai_x
06-19-2018, 10:15 AM

The GUI is simple and effective. Its really the split app that is turning away some long time lw users and potential new users.
Metamorphic for example is revolutionary, in lightwave standards, because of what it does within layout. If lightwave was unified many more things would be so seamless to do.

OnlineRender
06-19-2018, 10:31 AM
agreed probably not the best workflow , I can use html and css to control the UI, I can make it no problems obviously not a solution but if you have any ideas or workflow improvements I can build some stuff to help " working for the next month however" ...

buy yeah if something with the ui is dosn't fit right , either bug so NT see it or I can do something in the meantime ...

btw if it wasnt for the changes in 2018 , I couldn't do this ... #thatwhyiuselw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84zP-PSmGSk

erikals
06-19-2018, 04:23 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/images/misc/quote_icon.pngOnlineRender
btw if it wasnt for the changes in 2018 , I couldn't do this ... #thatwhyiuselw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84zP-PSmGSk

Neat!  :king:

jwiede
06-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Does the Mac version of ODRoot offer the same capabilities?

OnlineRender
06-19-2018, 06:56 PM
Does the Mac version of ODRoot offer the same capabilities?

it should be we have dropped it into maintenance atm #ROADMAP

I'm working for the next few weeks and oliver just came off set , so I'll try and work around it ..

https://www.origamidigital.com/lwNews/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/roadmap1.png

VonBon
06-20-2018, 04:07 PM
I'll ask anyway.

Why would HTML & CSS for GUI not be good practice? (just curious)

Is it possible to embed an HTML file within the interface of LW?

jwiede
06-20-2018, 05:13 PM
I'll ask anyway.

From a development perspective, supporting an HTML+CSS-based GUI engine requires a large quantity of extraneous overhead and infrastructure related to HTML and CSS processing, etc. which aren't really critical to expressing a GUI, even a highly-programmable/-customizable GUI. More complexity is bad unless it offers clear benefits, and in this case, there are easier ways to obtain programmability and customizability without having to incur the overhead of supporting HTML and CSS engines as well.

I hope that helps explain it.

OnlineRender
06-20-2018, 05:22 PM
I know some of you lads don't like facebook but here this week highlight " actually hit the FB limit , lol "

<<<< MIDWEEK HIGHLIGHTS 20/06/2018 >>>>
#FIRSTRULE

NEWS | INFORMATION

MondayMotivation: Theme: AdventureBall deadline - 25th
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1447930335312961/

Tuesday WATCHPARTY: Awesome stuff sitting with other artists, here's the highlights
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1449333095172685/

Marjan Moghaddam
Hello everyone I wanted to share this here. I have 2 AR apps as part of an arts festival in Washington DC
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1449464571826204/

We have a new mascot #Gizmo
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1446407352131926/

USERS NEEDING HELP "UNANSWERED"

Trying to find good tutorials on creating controllers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1450895661683095/

I'm displacing a spline in Layout but Show Curve only works before
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1445352662237395/

DOWNLOADS
ODCOPYPASTE , send data between most 3D apps
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1446974408741887/

Off-site: Seamless Texture Pack
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1445438435562151/

30 FREE PBR MATERIALS
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1439970479442280/

IronMan Asset: Offsite:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1444258505680144/
TUTORIALS

Oliver Hotz
OD How To Script Surface List
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1447097042062957/

LightWave + Octane: River Tutorial
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1448955138543814/

Advanced Lighting and Volumetrics
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1448146841957977/

Reading Suggestions: Practical Anatomy
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1448104091962252/

12 Principles of Animation ..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1447462255359769/

Ngons - Quads
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1445722278867100/

Kelly Myers Fixing LW Discovery Mode.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1446241535481841/
COMMERCIAL / PLUGIN / SCRIPTS

Talking about range finder in LW and how to get DOF info ... then Wolf smashed it #hiddentools
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1450575951715066/

$7 Madness Sale "Lightwave training material + others"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1447722615333733/

NodeMeister
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1444040625701932/
TOP BANNER OF THE WEEK
Todd Pickens
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1438695722903089/
ARTWORK / MEDIA / ANIMATION "Honorable mentions"

Massimo Zuanazzi
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1450977765008218/

Andrew March
Raw Octane/Lightwave output, no post work.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1450186261754035/

Marco Valenzuela
My 3d animation of my "Vessel" sculpt. #zbrush to #lightwave. Thank you guys!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1449421691830492/

Iain Welland
first city render for the opera project.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1450131595092835/

Jerome Leoni LW 2018, Hypervoxel (legacy)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1448091261963535/

Batman Ninja Trailer:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1445729808866347/

Bojan Arsic Low Poly Assets "stunning"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1444350992337562/
EVENTS / LIVE / BROADCASTS
TODAY: CreateExpo
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1449099328529395/

OFFICIAL
Discord

oliverhotz
06-20-2018, 09:17 PM
I'll ask anyway.

within no, only via pySide... check Steph's dog (pooch) video:

https://www.facebook.com/onlinerender/videos/1969332583091077/

uups.. sorry.. saw that this is already posted above (total fail on my part, as i read from bottom up.... and yes.. OSX is the same for odroot as it is on windows...

OnlineRender
06-21-2018, 04:34 PM
#TutorialThursday + Media

==========================
TUTORIALS
==========================

Sliders Example in Lightwave 3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czp8QWcd790

René Falk Thomasius
remote control car set up with bullet physics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiPuuP80Ls0

LW3D RM rig v7 3 rig ctrl
https://youtu.be/SQoN3z2UEiY

OD HOW TO SCRIPT SURFACE LIST
https://vimeo.com/265664126

LW + OCTANE River Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTUCPq2pSYY

OD CONFIG MANAGER
https://vimeo.com/269398516

Advanced Lighting And Volumetric Lights In LightWave 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr1PC0iI3IE

12 Principles of Animation (Official Full Series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqjIdI4bF4

Lightwave test - Ngon to Quads #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oit8jOWG0-o

Lightwave 3party - HxD - Lwo, replace texture files
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_brdcHVaww

International - 20180620 Texturing&Lighting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV9RUgyZyyU

Stepping it to Motion Tracking for Lightwave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKV5HloYCco

=================
Animation
=================

Rob Szczerba
The Window - 5STAR - MUST WATCH!
https://vimeo.com/225183719

My 3d animation of my "Vessel" sculpt. #zbrush to #lightwave.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1449421691830492/

Batman Ninja - Anime Trailer (2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwPFxcefpdU

Hypervoxels " Fire Stone "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbgYhkrdOeU

Octane for LightWave - Denoiser test with animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTfhE2cEIKU

Babylon 5 Narn Patrol Ambushed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZEVdk9IGAY

=================
OTHER
=================
3D Print final results - Modeler
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1451114681661193/

Virtual Fails - Comedy
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/permalink/1450583785047616/

Our Discord Group

COBRASoft
06-21-2018, 04:52 PM
HTML + CC + JS: https://electronjs.org/

More and more cross platform applications are made using this. Yes they could use it, but not sure about speed required for a 3D application. QT is probably the closest solution and offers enough flexibility.

oliverhotz
06-21-2018, 04:56 PM
HTML + CC + JS: https://electronjs.org/

More and more cross platform applications are made using this. Yes they could use it, but not sure about speed required for a 3D application. QT is probably the closest solution and offers enough flexibility.

There's nothing that currently prohibits you from using THAT and having it work within lightwave... (in 2018 that is)