PDA

View Full Version : Bad Hair Day for Blondes

Lee Groves
05-10-2018, 04:59 AM
Hi.
Is it possible to Render a real Blonde high gloss honey\gold colour hair and with out it looking "Stringy" when using FiberFX ?

When I try to achieve a gold-Blonde colour that has high gloss it all ways seems to render as a grey or green and the Hair looks like string.

I am very pleased with FiberFX as it now handles Hair that is 1.5 Meters in length without crashing Modeler or Lightwave 2018.4

I have attached a render as an example of the problem.

To achieve The Hair style in the image I have created a single Hair Guide and then copy\pasted many many time while moving each one to create the exact style I wanted.
The Hair Style has 150,000 individual polys and is about 1.2 meters long.

I am using the "Hair" material and in Mixed colour Mode. I thought this would be the best way as I intend to do animation using the model.
I have tried using "Textures" applied to the Node of the Mixed colour mode but they all come out very light grey or white.

Although I have not found\seen any renders of blonde hair using Lightwave 2018.x
I suspect it is my lack of understanding of 3d Modeling and rendering (it is a hobby) that is causing my problem.

If it is possible could someone give me a clue on which colours should I be using for the Root Colour 1, Tip Colour 1 etc?
Thanks.
LG

prometheus
05-10-2018, 05:47 AM
most likely a kind of aliasing quality setting, and, you probably need more clumping, parting or stray settings ..hair rarely donīt flow in straight line like that.
hard to tell with color, one have to tweak them, canīt say exactly.

prometheus
05-10-2018, 12:09 PM
check this thread...I posted some images from where you may be able to take some settings for hair material, though I actually didnīt spend any time on using the mixed color, but textured.

itīs a lot about the lighting, and of course how you have groomed your hair, in this case I also used other software to create and groom then exported and imported to lightwave..see this thread for some explanations....
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?157009-New-and-better-tutorials-on-hair-in-FiberFX-wanted!&p=1545796#post1545796

Kryslin
05-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Re: colors for blonde hair... I would go with a honey color and a gold color for the roots. For the tips, lighten the colors by increasing their value / decreasing saturation. Play with the diffuse and specular settings, and then play with gloss settings, to get your look.

For the fibers themselves, take your fiber width down to around 200um, and give it some random length(5% should be enough). If you need a little more variation, choose your favorite flavor of noise, and add it to the bump parameter (again, 5% should be enough). Depending on how full a head of hair you need, you would change fibers per clump, and clumps per guide; 8-10 in each should fill things out nicely.

And finally, make sure you have enough AA passes to clean up any texturing noise from FFX, you'll need about twce as many.

Lee Groves
05-11-2018, 04:04 AM
Thanks to all your replies. They are very helpful.
I now have several new areas to look at.
I was at a bit off a loss and did not really know where to start looking.
At least i now know it is possible to get nearer my correct hair colour.
LG.

Lee Groves
05-11-2018, 08:48 AM
Hi.
Just thought I would show the progress made....
It seems it is the lighting that has the greatest effect on hair.

However I changed the Hair thickness from 100 um (I googled a human hair's thickness) To 200 um
Under exactly the same environment lighting conditions etc even that had an impact on the render quality of the hair.

The image set to 100 um thickness is better. (IMHO)

See Attached Images.

LG.

prometheus
05-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Hi.
Just thought I would show the progress made....
It seems it is the lighting that has the greatest effect on hair.

However I changed the Hair thickness from 100 um (I googled a human hair's thickness) To 200 um
Under exactly the same environment lighting conditions etc even that had an impact on the render quality of the hair.

The image set to 100 um thickness is better. (IMHO)

See Attached Images.

LG.

Also consider making hair much thinner at the end of strands if it is very long hair and has grown such way, if it is cut..it may be just as thick in the end.

Julez4001
05-12-2018, 02:09 AM
Are you rendering with any shadows?