PDA

View Full Version : Tri's VS Quads...?

kevinmcpoland
12-28-2003, 05:45 AM
Hi All,

I am trying to get better with box modelling rather than spline (it just seems more natural at the mo!), and therefore am working from various tutorials.

However, a main point which comes up quite frequently, and that is that often the advice is avoid Tri poly's in the model and try to stick to quads.

The thing is, when I subpatch the model, the message box tells me it will sub patch Tri's OR Quads. So why do people try and avoid Tri's?.

I find myself sitting here pondering how to cut up a Tri into a quad without affecting adjoining quads and I don't really know why I am doing it or what benefits it will bring...

Any advice...?

Thanks,

Kevin McPoland
[email protected]

Mylenium
12-28-2003, 06:09 AM
SubD's are based on Cubic, BiCubic or more complex smoothing algorithms. Those quite naturally work best with a certain number of input vectors. Tris are not real tri's in the senseof LW's algorithm - they are just quads where one side is considered to be of length 0. This has the downside of creating somewhat incorrect results which will show as breaks in the flow of the surface and may cause rendering/ shading problems.

Mylenium