PDA

View Full Version : Router? Router-style operations / Profile cuts on recurved geometry?

jeric_synergy
05-07-2018, 11:47 AM
The native "Router" tool only works on one polygon at a time (how old is that sucker??).

I need to perform a "router" style bevel with a specific profile on a multi-polygon object that is curved in the Y-axis. It is "concave-down".

Looking at the RW object, it appears the profile is not especially tangent to the edge, but a simple profile impressed on the object exclusively in the Y axis-- that is, the profile doesn't tilt around. Or, the "router" didn't need to tilt.

I vaguely recall a native tool that did this, had profile presets and everything. Don't bother saying "Buy LWCad", cuz that is not in the cards.

Tim Parsons
05-07-2018, 02:27 PM
Buy LW Cad. :)

jeric_synergy
05-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Buy LW Cad. :)

OK, how good is the router in LWCad?

wingzeta
05-07-2018, 03:23 PM
OK, how good is the router in LWCad?

If you are talking about something like this, pretty good. Took seconds.141596

...but maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to do. In any case LWCad is a wonderful thing, and worth the investment. I wish I had jumped on it sooner.

jeric_synergy
05-07-2018, 05:27 PM
I don't deny that anybody getting paid to work w/LWM would find LWCad a (very) good investment, but currently I'm more of a hobbyist.

FWIW, I'm trying to route a slight (but very accurate) bevel or chamfer (fillet?) around that star thing I've been whinging about.... THEORETICALLY, a saint would have the patience to do it with MultiShift. Just doing my research. Thanks for the pic w/LWCad.

Ztreem
05-07-2018, 11:34 PM
Get OD copy paste external and send the model to blender do the router thing and send it back to modeler.

Ztreem
05-08-2018, 02:15 AM
Merge all top polys to one and do the router with the native tool then delete the poly and replace it with a scale down version of original polys and merge points. Could work, it's not very fast or user friendly but it is the Lw style.

jeric_synergy
05-08-2018, 08:20 AM
Here's a pic of the actual mesh. Will Router work w/a non-flat poly?

I think Blender might have a better shot at it.

Ztreem
05-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Here's a pic of the actual mesh. Will Router work w/a non-flat poly?

I think Blender might have a better shot at it.

That will not work with the router tool. Blender’s bevel tool is nicer and in realtime, but with that polyflow most tools will have a problem. Do some retopo first to clean up the model.

Marander
05-08-2018, 10:16 AM
That will not work with the router tool. Blender’s bevel tool is nicer and in realtime, but with that polyflow most tools will have a problem. Do some retopo first to clean up the model.

I agree.

Jeric, you want to model this with a nice topology, otherwise you will have shading issues and no way to convert this to SubD, create edge loops, animate it, use modifiers etc. To retopo or remodel this should be done in a couple of minutes.

jeric_synergy
05-09-2018, 07:37 AM
Fwiw:

Ztreem
05-09-2018, 08:44 AM
Fwiw:

Do you really need these polys? I would try to avoid polys like that.

JoePoe
05-09-2018, 06:03 PM
The native "Router" tool only works on one polygon at a time (how old is that sucker??).

I need to perform a "router" style bevel with a specific profile on a multi-polygon object that is curved in the Y-axis. It is "concave-down".

Looking at the RW object, it appears the profile is not especially tangent to the edge, but a simple profile impressed on the object exclusively in the Y axis-- that is, the profile doesn't tilt around. Or, the "router" didn't need to tilt.

I vaguely recall a native tool that did this, had profile presets and everything. Don't bother saying "Buy LWCad", cuz that is not in the cards.

Fwiw:

When you get the geometry sorted out, I believe the tool you're looking for is JettoBevel (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/jettobevel/).
There are a couple of presets, but more importantly you can set up a custom curve in a background layer.
Yes it works on multiple polys and on curved surfaces. No idea if it works in 18.

MonroePoteet
05-10-2018, 08:25 AM
When you get the geometry sorted out, I believe the tool you're looking for is JettoBevel (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/jettobevel/).
There are a couple of presets, but more importantly you can set up a custom curve in a background layer.
Yes it works on multiple polys and on curved surfaces. No idea if it works in 18.

Nice! Yes, it works in LW2018.0.4:

The geometry beveled was just a star-like drawn polygon with Fast Triple Traverse applied and then Extruded in Y.

mTp

prometheus
05-11-2018, 07:27 AM
Jettobevel is nice, but as far as I know..Unless I havenīt been using it wrong, jetto bevel on a polygon section in the middle of any object, will not let it perform a proper profile cut..it simply doesnīt work on that, using it on the top of a polygin is one thing but...Unlike the Engraver tool in Lw cad which performs perfect profiles on selected polygon sections in the middle of an object and that is what you would want, I havenīt seen anything like the Engraver tool in blender either, canīt say blenders native bevel tool can compete with that.

Itīs not called router, but Engraver tool ..and The engraver tool is realtime interactive while moving around in viewport, and it has prebuilt various libraries of profiles and shape, for columns and lots more including that you can make your own profile curves and save to library.

http://www.wtools3d.com/pdf/facade.pdf

0:18-19 in the clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=QlMIEuWcob0