PDA

View Full Version : Line pen tool with grid snap, can not make a poly.

prometheus
05-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Just noticed...
when I create a polyface with the line pen tool and using vertex snap drawing the basic shape and finally making a poly when I close the line "loop" that is working normally, but when I use grid snap..it doesnīt work.

Your input on this please

the pen tool isnīt an option..so donīt go about to suggest that.

Edit..I may get away with using merge points, with some mm tolerance, then in polymode select all those edges and use edge to poly to get a polyface, it seems the grid snap may prevent from actually snapping to the vertex exact postion and instead use the grid, then again when I use the grid..you would expect the line pen to put the vertex exactly based on the grid..some tolerance issue?
I would rather have it create the polyface directly once the line pen is completed..with grid snap on.

Lightwave modeler 2015 32 bit.
Itīs the same in lightwave 2018 by the way.

prometheus
05-05-2018, 04:19 PM
weird..somehow I got it working with grid snap, might be some grid settings perhaps.

And not...something is happening when I used fixed grid snap.

Snosrap
05-05-2018, 10:28 PM
Let me know if you can make use of this tool with a Wacom tablet. I can't.

prometheus
05-06-2018, 03:40 AM
Let me know if you can make use of this tool with a Wacom tablet. I can't.

Sure...send a tablet to me then I will check :) Thanks for the heads up...maybe I can borrow a cheap one from my niece and check, but thatīs a cheap one and not wacom.
Amazing...I still havenīt got me one, hopefully I buy one before I retire.

MonroePoteet
05-06-2018, 07:14 AM
Line Pen tool completes the polygon in all Grid Snap cases for me in LW 2018.0.3. BUT, I have to be very careful that the "vertex" snap hint is shown before clicking to start a new segment. It's easy, especially with a very small Fixed Snap grid granularity (e.g. 1mm) to get off of the end vertex of the previous line segment.

I also don't have a tablet to test with (well, I have an OLD serial port Wacom). Again, with small snap values, it's easy to miss the end vertex of the prior line segment.

mTp

prometheus
05-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Line Pen tool completes the polygon in all Grid Snap cases for me in LW 2018.0.3. BUT, I have to be very careful that the "vertex" snap hint is shown before clicking to start a new segment. It's easy, especially with a very small Fixed Snap grid granularity (e.g. 1mm) to get off of the end vertex of the previous line segment.

I also don't have a tablet to test with (well, I have an OLD serial port Wacom). Again, with small snap values, it's easy to miss the end vertex of the prior line segment.

mTp

Thanks for the heads up on being careful, though I thought I was...I still need to work much more with it and eventually track down exactly what is causing it.

Snosrap
05-06-2018, 07:06 PM
I think the overall action of the tool is wrong in regards to what it does on a mouse up. It should have been a Pen tool on steroids, but they made it too different in its function from the Pen tool. Another great potential that missed the mark.