PDA

View Full Version : Change Thickness?

Tony3d
05-05-2018, 06:27 AM
Hi All, I have a job to redo that requires I change the thickness of a few parts of the object. Is there a way to uniformly do this without effecting any other dimension of the object?

prometheus
05-05-2018, 07:17 AM
Hi All, I have a job to redo that requires I change the thickness of a few parts of the object. Is there a way to uniformly do this without effecting any other dimension of the object?

What LW version?
the later lw versions has multiply/extend/thicken.
click and drag or hit "n" for numeric and change values from there.

Tony3d
05-05-2018, 09:55 AM
I’m talking about a mod that has already bred made. I need to make the walls of a cable thinner.

UnCommonGrafx
05-05-2018, 09:58 AM
If you made it with RopeEditor, you can change any parameter after the fact.
IF not, you will have to manually do it or re-do it.

I am not aware of any other plugin on LW that works this way in modeler and has such a modelling history.
Robert

XswampyX
05-05-2018, 10:28 AM
I’m talking about a mod that has already bred made. I need to make the walls of a cable thinner.

Point normal move will do it. You may have to detach the inner part of the insulation from the outer part at the ends.

omichon
05-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Smooth Scale sounds like another option. Anyway, it is a tool I will try in a case like this.

prometheus
05-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Iím talking about a mod that has already bred made. I need to make the walls of a cable thinner.

In that case, as XswampyX and omichon says, preferably point normal move, or smooth scale.
Modify tab/translate/more/point normal move

Tony3d
05-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone. I’ll check it out tomorrow!

Revanto
05-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Point normal move and smooth scale can sometimes be a tiny bit flaky. You can still use them but I suggest that you create some polygons and shapes in a background layer as reference so that everything lines up when you adjust your 'wall' thickness for your mesh. If your mesh is complex then it might get tricky but not impossible. You might have to tweak points afterwards depending on how misaligned things can get after you use point normal move or smooth scale, though.

Cheers,
Revanto :p