PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3D 2018.0.4 is Available

Chuck
05-01-2018, 01:19 PM
LightWave 3D 2018 users: the fourth stability update, 2018.0.4 is ready in your account: https://buff.ly/2pN8EVw

LightWave 2018.0.4 (Build 3067) Final Release Change Log - May 01, 2018

2018.0.4 will install into its own directory. 2018.0.4 uses the same license as your 2018.0, 2018.0.1, 2018.0.2, and 2018.0.3 license - just drag-and-drop the license into the interface of 2018.0.4 when first launching 2018.0.4.

Bumped product version to 2018.0.4.
Set the build number to 3067

Added a set_sunspot_time.py script which demonstrates the use of the SaveServerDataByItemID and LoadServerDataByItemID commands.
Updated the 2018.0.4 installer to install the VS2012 Update 4 redistributable if the Python site packages are installed. The Python pywin32 package requires it.
Updated the OS X Installer script to enable creation of 64-bit Installers, if the OS X version allows for it.
Updated the SDK docs for LWSurfaceFunc's byObject and objectLib. Noting the requirements when requesting for a cloned Primitive.
Fixed object replacement triggering animation re-evaluation during an animation evaluation. As well as causing object replacement to be done twice (and therefore twice as slow), it could also cause random strangeness to occur such as meshes not appearing to update in viewports.

LB-2940 FBX loading wrong Allow user to replace missing image assets.

LWB-3517 TC_153 FX_Collision seems to be broken
LWB-3562 Random occasional crash due to attribute system adding node plugin update events after the plugin has been marked as destroyed.
LWB-3674 obj replacements don't get feedback when you turn VPR off
LWB-3688 Loading fbx crash
LWB-3702 Modeler crash when importing FBX files
LWB-3710 Layout View is, when you change to VPR, do not switch multiple cameras
LWB-3717 Loading a FBX file from Evermotion (sample) crashes Modeler
LWB-3726 Corrected a typo in the Modeler PRIS _move_code() private function.
LWB-3728 The Modeler PRIS boundingbox() function now accepts a 'selected_only' Boolean option for finer control over the values to be scanned.
LWB-3764 Modeler crashes when trying to open this model
LWB-3768 FBX importer in Modeler not working
LWB-3787 Crash when importing FBX into Modeler
LWB-3797 Saving a lwo model to network drive extremely slow
LWB-3822 Corrected the typo in the Modeler PRIS jitter() method.
LWB-3826 Tumbling Viewport VPR with MIS on is slow
LWB-3832 Startup delay LWB-3836: Spline motion controller not updated correctly when an item is deleted in the scene. A stale index into the scene tree was being used.
LWB-3837 Particle info node is broken
LWB-3846 MDD reader looses time when scrubbing
LWB-3847 significant memory leak during rendering with motion blur
LWB-3849 object lib doesn't work with null (shape) objects
LWB-3852 Localized issue QuickBolt missing resource tags added.
LWB-3854 Huge memory consumption
LWB-3858 Garble non-ASCII character contents path.

c.1
05-01-2018, 01:25 PM
WOW!

2019.04......that was a long nap I had, I thought it was still 2018 ; )

Tim Parsons
05-01-2018, 01:25 PM
2019 huh! Awesome! :)

Chuck
05-01-2018, 01:32 PM
WOW!

2019.04......that was a long nap I had, I thought it was still 2018 ; )

Corrected! Sorry for the typo! :)

c.1
05-01-2018, 01:47 PM
I reallywant to go download it too, but my cat is super comfortable on my legs, I could be stuck here for quite a while.

Ma3rk
05-01-2018, 02:24 PM
I reallywant to go download it too, but my cat is super comfortable on my legs, I could be stuck here for quite a while.

Purrrrectly normal. It's a designed thottling effect actually so not everyone jams the telegraph wires & ether all at once trying to get the latest update. Some things can wait. A well rummpled lap had better stay put if it knows what's good for it.

Greenlaw
05-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Agh! And I literally just finished setting up my configs for 03.

No biggie...a new update is always appreciated, Chuck! :)

Tim Parsons
05-01-2018, 02:58 PM
Found the first bug already. When adding an image to an area light and then adjusting the image values in the image editor all values of the light output remain unaffected. :(

Cougar12dk
05-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Another bug is: After having dragged the license key over to the license prompt window, after opening Layout (or Modeler for that matter), does nothing, as far as removing the prompt.
I have had this problem before, but I don't recall how it was fixed.

Ma3rk
05-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Agh! And I literally just finished setting up my configs for 03.

No biggie...a new update is always appreciated, Chuck! :)

Time to give the OD Tools utility a try for migrating. Have to go watch the vid again; not sure what all was covered. Dang, not sure which tool it even was now but know I saw it. Well, someone's bound to know if Oliver doesn't poke up.

Marander
05-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Another bug is: After having dragged the license key over to the license prompt window, after opening Layout (or Modeler for that matter), does nothing, as far as removing the prompt.
I have had this problem before, but I don't recall how it was fixed.

Unset and Set the firewall rules in the 2018.0.4 bin folder (command line as admin). If you search this forum you should find a post where I explained in detail.

NewTek: Great work on providing another timely fix pack, thanks! Looking forward to see the fbx import fixed.

Marander
05-01-2018, 05:44 PM
open cmd with right click as admin
cd to the LW2018.0.4 bin folder
configure unset
configure set

Ma3rk
05-01-2018, 05:54 PM
ah HA! It's OD_Config. Oliver promised to do a video and he didn't! At least not found under that name. <I knew I hadn't quite lost it>.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156621-Performing-point-release-updates&p=1542612&viewfull=1#post1542612

c.1
05-01-2018, 07:00 PM
ah HA! It's OD_Config.

I know, right!? There are like 400 different plugins in the OD pack (what a wicked deal, works out to something like 50 cents per plugin) and he keeps adding more.

I wonder if there is a “OD_MyCatIsTooComfyToMove” plugin in that pack and it automatically goes to the Newtek site downloads, installs the update and tranfers all of the config files and plugins over.

Hmmmmmm might be worth suggesting.

Revanto
05-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Thank you, Chuck, for giving us the changes/updates log. It's much appreciated.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

oliverhotz
05-01-2018, 08:04 PM
ah HA! It's OD_Config. Oliver promised to do a video and he didn't! At least not found under that name. <I knew I hadn't quite lost it>.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?156621-Performing-point-release-updates&p=1542612&viewfull=1#post1542612

sorry.. my fault completely.. I'll do one tomorrow !.. was busy with UberPass...

c.1
05-01-2018, 08:14 PM
:)How about the “OD_MyCatsTooComfyToMove” idea?

oliverhotz
05-01-2018, 08:19 PM
:)How about the “OD_MyCatsTooComfyToMove” idea?

not needed hehe. its really simple... ODConfig... store your config inlayout.. do the same in modeler with the modeler equivalent.. launch your new version.. add all the plugins.. then run ODConfig - after import found under additional - and import the config.. done.. (same in modeler).. thats really pretty comfy, usualy takes me less than a minute.

paulhart
05-01-2018, 08:29 PM
First impression, (after the configs, plugins, preferences 'shuffle dance,' need to check out the ODConfg?? didn't know!) opend Layout, loaded file, clicked on Modeler [F12] and barely waited and Modeler opened. Much snappier. Hope it stays this way. Thank you Newtek developer team.

Ma3rk
05-02-2018, 12:30 AM
not needed hehe. its really simple... ODConfig... store your config inlayout.. do the same in modeler with the modeler equivalent.. launch your new version.. add all the plugins.. then run ODConfig - after import found under additional - and import the config.. done.. (same in modeler).. thats really pretty comfy, usualy takes me less than a minute.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
But it now sounds like I might have to go find a cat for some installation quirk; I'll check out the details in the readme for clarification when I get the update zip.

Titon
05-02-2018, 08:02 AM
Again Newtek disregards issues with modeler and it's issues but i will take it if this version takes care of the enormous memory hog that lightwave has become.

Doesn't bode well when you have to release version fixes every 30 days.

madno
05-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Nothing about interpolated GI, Firefly optimizations?

Does anybody know if this is something being worked on?
Or is the renderer considered to be done for the 2018 cycle, except from bugs getting fixed?

samurai_x
05-02-2018, 08:31 AM

Or is the renderer considered to be done for the 2018 cycle, except from bugs getting fixed?

Don't use gi is what most lw 2018 FB users will tell you. :D

SBowie
05-02-2018, 08:52 AM
Doesn't bode well when you have to release version fixes every 30 days.Funny how perspective works ... others have applauded the developers for being responsive, getting patches out quickly.

RPSchmidt
05-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Don't use gi is what most lw 2018 FB users will tell you. :D

Or rather, don't use interpolation and manage your rays and samples:thumbsup:

samurai_x
05-02-2018, 08:58 AM
Or rather, don't use interpolation and manage your rays and samples:thumbsup:

Bruteforce mc on cpu rendering? Eeek!

sadkkf
05-02-2018, 10:04 AM

No software is perfect. I'm happy the devs are committed to improving it rather than ignoring it.

vipvip242
05-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Thanks a lot, newtek team !

THIBAULT
05-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Yes, thanks Newtek Team, this version is Ok ! Don't know why, but this one is more stable !

Ma3rk
05-02-2018, 11:21 AM
sorry.. my fault completely.. I'll do one tomorrow !.. was busy with UberPass...

That's all very nice too Oliver, but we have an update out NOW. ÜberPass will still be there for you to tinker with when you get back. You have neglected plug-ins out there that people need but don't know about or can't find. It'll only take a few minutes & then you can come back and code.

Cageman
05-02-2018, 11:45 AM

Ohh... sounds like something awesome is in the cooking? :)

Cageman
05-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Bruteforce mc on cpu rendering? Eeek!

Tell that to all Arnold users... ;)

Seriously though... the BF MC is much, much faster than what it used to be. :)

prometheus
05-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Thank´s for the info Chuck, and great to see you inform about the changes directly hin these kind of threads, that´s a help to fast and easy see what´s going on.
I may actually soon try it, I think I skipped the 0.3 release, and was about to test modo, but since I explained my annoyance and the issue of downloading a Modo trial which started to count its trial period from download date without me knowing about it...then I am left with a modo trial I can not install, nor try...not until they release a new version, or til they actually respond on my request of getting hold of a new trial.

I am glad that the Lightwave trial started to tick from installation, and that we have a decent discovery edition working for many important stuff to try it out though.

prometheus
05-02-2018, 11:55 AM

Can you see any improvements on the interpolated GI ? as I recall after some ray tweaking, I could get it to VPR refresh decently fast with interpolated in 2018.01 but in 2018.0.2 it doesn´t matter how I try..it is very slow..and not really worth using, which feels kind of odd considering it´s an alternative faster method, at least it was, not sure if I am missing something or if something happened between these versions...and no, haven´t tried 2018.0.3 or 2018.0.4

Otherwise..Yes, Brute Force GI is way faster than it was in 2015.0.3 but interpolated seem to be a different story ..at least for me.

Cageman
05-02-2018, 12:01 PM
Can you see any improvements on the interpolated GI ? as I recall after some ray tweaking, I could get it to VPR refresh decently fast with interpolated in 2018.01 but in 2018.0.2 it doesn´t matter how I try..it is very slow..and not really worth using, which feels kind of odd considering it´s an alternative faster method, at least it was, not sure if I am missing something or if something happened between these versions...and no, haven´t tried 2018.0.3 or 2018.0.4

I havn't tried Interpolated GI in quite a while...

Is there a scene setup somewhere that is a good testscene? Can't bother with setting up my own scene for it. :D So... if you have one to share, I'll grab it and do some tinkering. :)

prometheus
05-02-2018, 12:33 PM
I havn't tried Interpolated GI in quite a while...

Is there a scene setup somewhere that is a good testscene? Can't bother with setting up my own scene for it. :D So... if you have one to share, I'll grab it and do some tinkering. :)

I am running discovery edition, I didn´t upgrade, so I can not save scenes..you would have to look in the provided content, lovering as many settings you can get away with, I am not sure about final render with interpolated and how fast it really performs on some scenes, it´s just I thought the interpolated GI in 2015 was superfast within the use of VPR rendering refresh iteration process, and that is what I would like to have had as close as possible.
I may download the latest release now this upcoming weekend and see if there was any improvements there.

For stills, I would go for interpolated...at least I would have in 2015 and still are, but for animations..probably not.

Tim Parsons
05-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Doesn't bode well when you have to release version fixes every 30 days. I completely disagree! It bodes very well that issues are being addressed and I hope a this release cycle keeps pace, especially since I have already found a major bug that just showed up in this version. :) Modeler still needs work of course but they have done a number of small things with it that are really welcome.

Tim Parsons
05-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Seems to work fine for me for the most part. Not sure if Antti is a render guru but maybe they are considering some of the 3rd party renderers that are out there that they'll throw in.

OjN
05-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the bug-fix release! I appreciate Newtek effort. Looks you are trying to show you care about Lightwave.

I love the all the new buffers packed in a exr file but the interpolated GI behavior looks different and feels tricky.

I hope Newtek can release in the 2018 iterations something similar like DP Filter Node Editors plugins...

Cageman
05-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Doesn't bode well when you have to release version fixes every 30 days.

So... are you saying that SideFX are on the brink of survival because they release a beta-build of Houdini... every day? LOL

I'm very happy to see LW3DG / NewTek are on the bughunt and responding quite fast!

To me, this is very, very good! It shows dedication, despite almost a year without any words (I hope that they will not repeat that silence ever again though).

LW 2018 is, by far, one of the best releases of LW, regarding good changes to the software.

Keep doing what you are doing LW3DG / NT.

A software like LightWave is needed these days!

adk
05-02-2018, 05:16 PM
So... are you saying that SideFX are on the brink of survival because they release a beta-build of Houdini... every day? LOL

I'm very happy to see LW3DG / NewTek are on the bughunt and responding quite fast!

To me, this is very, very good! It shows dedication, despite almost a year without any words (I hope that they will not repeat that silence ever again though).

LW 2018 is, by far, one of the best releases of LW, regarding good changes to the software.

Keep doing what you are doing LW3DG / NT.

A software like LightWave is needed these days!

What he said :D

samurai_x
05-02-2018, 10:08 PM

Different market. One is for highend AAA production with access to huge renderfarms. The other for budget segment with limited harware specs for rendering.

jwiede
05-03-2018, 12:19 AM
Chuck,

No problem if you're not interested in answering, but I was wondering if you could clarify if the new development cycle is focusing primarily on approx. monthly fix updates, or whether there will also be larger, feature-inclusive updates within the version development cycle as well?

To be clear, I'm not asking for any sort of notion of how soon, how many, or in any was asking what they might contain, just trying to better understand what the new development cycle plan looks like regarding updates.

Thanks!

hypersuperduper
05-03-2018, 12:36 AM
Different market. One is for highend AAA production with access to huge renderfarms. The other for budget segment with limited harware specs for rendering.

I dunno. Cloud rendering means pretty much anyone has access to render farms. Longer calculation times strikes me as more of a hurdle than a dealbreaker.

samurai_x
05-03-2018, 06:29 AM
I dunno. Cloud rendering means pretty much anyone has access to render farms. Longer calculation times strikes me as more of a hurdle than a dealbreaker.

Small companies which is the market for lw still renders projects locally. That's why octane has been pretty popular for lw people because its the only gpu renderer avail for lw and speed for them is priority.

hypersuperduper
05-03-2018, 07:32 AM
Small companies which is the market for lw still renders projects locally. That's why octane has been pretty popular for lw people because its the only gpu renderer avail for lw and speed for them is priority.

Sure, I see why octane is popular for small studios, and there is certainly a benefit to having everything in-house. I just think the argument that brute force cpu rendering is strictly for the big boys is overstated. I've used cloud rendering and I am a one man operation.

More to the lw point. I would certainly like to have faster renders in lw2018, but since i can offload heavy renders to a stupid fast cloud service it is a relatively small problem for me which it is more than outweighed by the substantial improvements in 2018.

ianr
05-03-2018, 11:18 AM
What he said :D

(to be read in a HAL voice)

I'm Sorry Dave, I couldn't compute that........so I will agree!:cool:

Chuck
05-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Chuck,

No problem if you're not interested in answering, but I was wondering if you could clarify if the new development cycle is focusing primarily on approx. monthly fix updates, or whether there will also be larger, feature-inclusive updates within the version development cycle as well?

To be clear, I'm not asking for any sort of notion of how soon, how many, or in any was asking what they might contain, just trying to better understand what the new development cycle plan looks like regarding updates.

Thanks!

Management does not have a public statement that would address your question at this time, beyond NewTek CTO and President Dr. Andrew Cross's recent mention at NAB that he's very excited about LightWave developments.

His comments are at 16:37 into the video in this blog entry: https://www.newtek.com/blog/dr-andrew-cross-interviewed-by-ptzoptics-at-nabshow-2018/

ianr
05-03-2018, 11:24 AM
I Know, I know what that Chuck. B's Done :newtek:?

Now a Deuce is a two ,Right?

And Jack is called Deuce Bennett, Right?

Soooooo. Chuck.B's. CLONED HIM :beerchug: !!!
(for faster bug busting updates)

TAD_DAH I thank you....

robertoortiz
05-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Chuck, in all honesty what can we do? I feel strongly that his forum and this community is a great untapped resource.

Having said that.
thanks for all your hard work.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-03-2018, 12:49 PM
In the video, Dr. Cross said the stuff they are working on for Lightwave is "game changing" "mind blowing" and that we'll never guess what it is. Also, that they are going to surprise a lot of people. Huh. Sounds good to me.

prometheus
05-03-2018, 01:15 PM
In the video, Dr. Cross said the stuff they are working on for Lightwave is "game changing" "mind blowing" and that we'll never guess what it is. Also, that they are going to surprise a lot of people. Huh. Sounds good to me.

Just...can´t resist..
Making a 3 splitted app? one for modeling, one for animation, one for rendering? No one can see that coming hey :) and quite mind blowing.
Seriously..looking forward to Real reveals, actually telling us what that game changer will be...that way I could actually start invest and focus more on lightwave if it really is mindblowning, rather than currently focus on a different software.

hypersuperduper
05-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Judging from the sudden batch of pretty crazy 2018 only plugins only this last week: metamorphic, nodemeister, and od uberpass, it really seems like some of the large scale under-the-hood changes in lw2018 are really starting to bear tangible fruit. It doesn’t seem too far fetched that the internal developers have also been working on new features based on the new stuff. I am curious.

SteveH
05-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Promethius....3 splitted app - now that's funny - I don't care who you are!

kopperdrake
05-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Tess Protesto, in that video, annoys me immensely in that she doesn't seem to be listing to Dr.Cross, or even looking at him whilst talking to him. Grr!

But the 'mind-blowing stuff' sounds very exciting!

Chuck
05-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Just...can´t resist..
Making a 3 splitted app? one for modeling, one for animation, one for rendering?

Well, damn. Since somebody figured it out that quick we'll just have to go back to the drawing board and come up with something else. :(

:devil:

Dillon
05-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for sharing about Dr. Cross' blurb about LW during NAB. I could tell he was being genuine about the cool stuff coming, and how game changing it is. I suspect I *might* know what it is, too. A lot of churning is happening down in LA and VFX ... lightfields and holographic video are coming at us very soon.

Please ask Dr. Cross and the development team to reach out to RED Digital Cinema. They're going to be releasing a new holographic video codec that will enable volumetric video capture / lightfield capture, and have a post production workflow already workable through Adobe, Foundry, and OTOY. H4V CODEC will be revolutionary, and I'm hoping LW/NT get in on this game. The nature of imaging is about to change *dramatically* and forever.

H4V CODEC! RED DIGITAL CINEMA! HOLOGRAPHIC VIDEO!

Please :)

Well, damn. Since somebody figured it out that quick we'll just have to go back to the drawing board and come up with something else. :(

:devil:

Nicolas Jordan
05-03-2018, 05:53 PM
Whatever the ground breaking stuff is in development for Lightwave I really hope it benefits most if not all Lightwave users.

Marander
05-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Whatever the ground breaking stuff is in development for Lightwave I really hope it benefits most if not all Lightwave users.

I understand you but in order to gain interest again, LW needs to bring something outlandish and innovative that nobody else has to offer. This feature(s) might not be something everybody will profit from. But who knows...

Personally I hope it's something VFX related (and that they finally fix the UI / UX / Undo of course).

Maybe Lense Flares 2.0 :-)

samurai_x
05-03-2018, 11:32 PM

Lets ask Lino his opinion. :D

50one
05-04-2018, 01:10 AM
Lets ask Lino his opinion. :D

Wonderibg if that's continuing work started by Rob/Lino ...because you know, they did promise a lot of 'cutting edge' stuff or is this something else.

vncnt
05-04-2018, 02:36 AM
I understand you but in order to gain interest again, LW needs to bring something outlandish and innovative that nobody else has to offer. This feature(s) might not be something everybody will profit from. But who knows...

Personally I hope it's something VFX related (and that they finally fix the UI / UX / Undo of course).

Maybe Lense Flares 2.0 :-)
Holographic lens flares in virtual AVI files that render in realtime on the storyboard/timeline of our favorite speedy NLE!

Being focussed on something new and innovative has always worked for me.
Recommended approach.

Wickedpup
05-04-2018, 04:21 AM
I don't know......New. Innovative. Groundbrealing. Cutting edge. Mind blowing. All words that have been used before in conjunction with the direction of LW development without great results if you ask me. (Saleswise that is)
8~

Qexit
05-04-2018, 05:00 AM
I imagine we won't hear anything significant until Siggraph.

OFF
05-04-2018, 05:59 AM
After 4 months of use LW2018 I can say that I practically do not open LW2015.
I like the performance of OGL (allows me to work comfortably with character animation with more than one character and a highly polygonal environment), Modifier Stack (very usable).
I'm very glad that LW2018 as a new platform, allows you to implement new plug-ins - OD plugins pack, Metamorphic etc.
But my impressions are limited by the speed of rendering - although I really like the new system of volumetric and primitives, I can not take advantage of all this in my work on my commercial projects.
The reason for the speed of rendering a new LW engine is that it is too tricky in terms of settings and a holistic understanding of its operation.
I can work with many render engines, such as Arnold Render, Octane, Redshift, Kray, Vray, etc. - but still can not get close to understanding the internal philosophy of the new render engine LW2018.
Although it may well fit into the production line of large companies.
Whatever it is, while LW in combination with Octane renderer satisfies my production needs, I'm not looking for variants of full transition to other 3D programs.
But I am very positive about some kind of breakthrough development options for LW, especially in the field of renderer - the new platform as a whole looks promising.

Nicolas Jordan
05-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Whatever the new technology in development is it sounds to me like it's not that far away from release otherwise they would not be talking about it at all. I just hope it is super useful to some of Lightwaves largest user bases like Arch Viz otherwise it likely won't make much difference. If I had to guess it might be something like a real time GPU render engine but I guess we will have wait and see.

jwiede
05-04-2018, 10:34 AM
I don't know......New. Innovative. Groundbrealing. Cutting edge. Mind blowing. All words that have been used before in conjunction with the direction of LW development without great results if you ask me. (Saleswise that is)
8~

Honestly, I'd much rather see the MANY long-standing foundational/infrastructure issues solved, than see any shiny, new, whiz-bang tech. LW's foundation still needs much more work to get from where it's at to even be at a decent baseline. Fixing the long-painful infrastructure issues might not be "exciting" or "ground-breaking", but if it doesn't happen, and SOON, seems likely there won't be any "ground" left for new "ground-breaking" features to land upon.

Letting the basics/infrastructure stagnate in favor of chasing some "hot, new, this'll fix everything" feature has been a recurring theme in LW's history. The outcomes of such chases haven't been particularly positive in any recent timeframe.

wingzeta
05-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Honestly, I'd much rather see the MANY long-standing foundational/infrastructure issues solved, than see any shiny, new, whiz-bang tech. LW's foundation still needs a lot more work to get from where it's at to where it needs to be. Fixing the long-painful infrastructure issues might not be "exciting" or "ground-breaking", but if it doesn't happen, and SOON, seems likely there won't be any "ground" left for new "ground-breaking" features to land upon.

Letting the basics/infrastructure stagnate in favor of chasing some "hot, new, this'll fix everything" feature has been a recurring theme in LW's history. To date, the outcomes of applications haven't been particularly positive.

Given that a few months ago with "the silence" we weren't sure LW had a future, the present roll out of patches, and Dr. Cross indicating continued development, is great. Really great. Still, I agree completely with what you are saying. A lot of the wiz-bang features tend to be impressive, but only useful in limited cases. It will be preferable if the everyday tools are fixed along with the shiny new stuff being added.

Hopefully the modeler survey shows that a modeler overhaul is coming, and will address a lot of the long standing issues on that side. Since the survey just happened, I'm guessing the major changes to Modeler, are about two years away, but I'm no software dev. Just a guess. It seems unification is being pushed further down the line, but...

Seeing the stuff Oliver Holtz and others are doing with the new Layout SDK, I'm imagining that if Modeler had similar improvements to its SDK, we might start to see some unification issues solved even without unification, simply through plugins. Lack of unification would still be a problem, but potentially for fewer and fewer scenarios. Not trying to start a unification discussion, just making an observation.

The Modeler SDK is one of those less exciting foundational improvements that can make a bigger difference than a flashy new toy, so it seems relevant.

c.1
05-04-2018, 12:24 PM
I imagine we won't hear anything significant until Siggraph.

I just secured my pass for Siggraph here in Vancouver, I didn’t notice Lightwave or Newtek on the exhibitors list, but
hey Chuck if you send me a free Lightwave T shirt I’ll wear it to Siggraph.....just sayin’:D

SBowie
05-04-2018, 12:34 PM
I would just point out that it can be important to consider context. Andrew's enthusiastic remarks were made at NAB (a broadcast video show) in an interview by folks who make PTZ cameras, for consumption by a video/streaming audience.

I'm not saying anything about future LW dev goals, since I don't really know anything about them anyway, nor attempting to walk back anything that was said ... just reminding y'all that LW already plays specific roles in connection with our video products, and one can imagine exciting related developments that are specific to that realm (of course, cross-pollination can benefit everyone).

It might be prudent to allow that in context, his remarks need not necessarily be viewed as a claiming that LW is soon going to just blow away everything else in the 3D industry.

raymondtrace
05-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Performance capture with PTZ cameras?! Sounds way cool! Let the rampant speculation continue.

stoecklem
05-04-2018, 01:24 PM
Yeah.. I was thinking the exact same thing. I spent a good deal of time creating Livesets in my previous job. While i understand PSD and the Virtual Set Editor direction they went in, I always missed the original Liveset SDK where you provided 7 exr's to automatically map reflections. When Tricaster came out after VT 5 I was dissapointed in the simplicity and lack of features, but look what's happened since then and things changed fast. It's not hard to imagine that powerful hooks could be made with Lightwave and Tricaster with virtual set and graphics design, maybe even some sort of GPU/NDI Lightwave connection. Look at all the Unreal Engine implementations in high end virtual set products recently. Maybe way off, but I sure am excited to see. Whatever happens.. Lightwave has never been better... thanks Newtek and all the third party devs.

robertoortiz
05-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Yeah.. I was thinking the exact same thing. I spent a good deal of time creating Livesets in my previous job. While i understand PSD and the Virtual Set Editor direction they went in, I always missed the original Liveset SDK where you provided 7 exr's to automatically map reflections. When Tricaster came out after VT 5 I was dissapointed in the simplicity and lack of features, but look what's happened since then and things changed fast. It's not hard to imagine that powerful hooks could be made with Lightwave and Tricaster with virtual set and graphics design, maybe even some sort of GPU/NDI Lightwave connection. Look at all the Unreal Engine implementations in high end virtual set products recently. Maybe way off, but I sure am excited to see. Whatever happens.. Lightwave has never been better... thanks Newtek and all the third party devs.

I do the same thing at the PTO. I have created a lot Virtual sets using LW. You should come to one of our LOCAL SIGGRAPH meetings.

pixym
05-04-2018, 10:06 PM
If I had to guess it might be something like a real time GPU render engine but I guess we will have wait and see.
It's what I expect as well… for ArchViz of course !
I am fed up waiting an hour or more for a render that will surely take some seconds in GPU renderer like Lumion…

prometheus
05-05-2018, 04:49 AM
I would just point out that it can be important to consider context. Andrew's enthusiastic remarks were made at NAB (a broadcast video show) in an interview by folks who make PTZ cameras, for consumption by a video/streaming audience.

I'm not saying anything about future LW dev goals, since I don't really know anything about them anyway, nor attempting to walk back anything that was said ... just reminding y'all that LW already plays specific roles in connection with our video products, and one can imagine exciting related developments that are specific to that realm (of course, cross-pollination can benefit everyone).

It might be prudent to allow that in context, his remarks need not necessarily be viewed as a claiming that LW is soon going to just blow away everything else in the 3D industry.

For reference it was made towards lightwave here...16:45-50 in the clip where he specificly mentions he won´t say anything about announcements for lightwave ..but later says his mind is mind is blown..in regards to what they are working on with specificly lightwave and it is mindblowing cool..at least for him.

It might not be for others though... and it as you say may not be something that blows away everyone or everything else in the industry..and everyone may have different needs and perspective to what they find mindblowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oFe7WlnPMc&feature=youtu.be&t=16m40s

SBowie
05-05-2018, 04:53 AM
For reference it was made to toward lightwave...I watched it. Then I wrote what I wrote. You can form your own conclusions. Time will tell.

prometheus
05-05-2018, 07:45 AM
I watched it. Then I wrote what I wrote. You can form your own conclusions. Time will tell.

Not sure if there is so many ways to interprete it..well maybe there are, but a written transcription on that interview would clearly state that the cool mindblowing stuff was in regards to lightwave.

Snosrap
05-05-2018, 10:26 PM
..but later says his mind is mind is blown..in regards to what they are working on with specificly lightwave and it is mindblowing cool..at least for him.

It might not be for others though... and it as you say may not be something that blows away everyone or everything else in the industry..and everyone may have different needs and perspective to what they find mindblowing.

He might have seen "spin quad pairs" for the first time. :)

SBowie
05-06-2018, 07:47 AM
He might have seen "spin quad pairs" for the first time. :)Lenscap 7.0 rox! :bangwall:

jeric_synergy
05-07-2018, 09:39 PM
Snosrap, clear some space in your Inbox please. I want to PM you.

Snosrap
05-09-2018, 07:17 AM
Snosrap, clear some space in your Inbox please. I want to PM you.

Done. I didn't know there was a limit.

jeric_synergy
05-09-2018, 07:37 AM
Done. I didn't know there was a limit.

Yeah, and it's super low. :grumpy:

ianr
05-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Lenscap 7.0 rox! :bangwall:

Yeah, a black render means you forgot to take it off (lol);D

ianr
05-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Funny how perspective works ... others have applauded the developers for being responsive, getting patches out quickly.

Doh Titon, If it was SideEffects then a different reaction?
All those builds in Houdini carry bug fixes & they are lorded for it!