PDA

View Full Version : Good Grief! How Do You Do It?!

mjroddy
12-27-2003, 11:37 PM
MAN! I see all the awesome stuff being done here and I can't do a simple twist. Been trying for several hours and had terrible results. What I'm looking to do is simulate a wire that has been twisted together with a loop at one end. My best results are here.
http://matthewroddy.com/Erase/Wire.jpg
Are there any tutes out there that may help me do this?
Thanks for any help and advice. -mjr

knuckles644
12-28-2003, 01:28 AM
Try creating a spline in the shape of your twist and then rail extrude:)

mjroddy
12-28-2003, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. That's how I got this far. I just can't get a good twist. Looks like it's working from the back view, but looking at it from the rest, the twists don't line up. I'll keep trying, though. Maybe I'll accidentally stumble on a good combo.
Thanks again. -mjr

evenflcw
12-28-2003, 02:18 AM
If you'd like a more interactive process you could try MagicBevel. But you'd better play around with it abit first so you get a fairly good understanding what all the options do.

In the attached example I started from a subpatched box. Started MagicBevel, set scale to 100%, precision to 30. Then simply I dragged out a few segments before changing Operation to EditPath, which lets you edit the nodes all at once. I started by placing the nodes first in top view, later in the side view and perspective view. I did that until the whole thing was done. When quickly placing the nodes I had MoveByPath switched on. When tweaking in the end I had it switched off. Use it as you see fit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something! Always make the first segment parallell to the original polygon, otherwise the rest of the shape is gonna be skewed.

wingwalker
12-28-2003, 06:27 AM
Hi hope this is what you are after

On the z axis, create 1 disk 2mm x 2mm x 50mm with 25 segments. then move it across so its on the -x side of the screen and mirror it.

then choose the twist tool and from the front view at 0,0 perform the twist (NOT the one by chubby checker) and that should be it)

wingwalker
12-28-2003, 06:28 AM
step 2

wingwalker
12-28-2003, 06:29 AM
step 3

riki
12-28-2003, 06:48 AM
That looks like a good approach which could also be handy for other applications. Though it might get a bit difficult if you need a lot of twists. I did see a tut on making braids. I'd try to find it for you but I'm at the tail end of a seven hour render and just about to hit the hay. Maybe try a search.

wingwalker
12-28-2003, 06:57 AM
is this the one you are refering to?

http://www.joelertola.com/tutorials/knot/knot_2.html

thats where i learnt it from!!!

riki
12-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Yep that looks like the one. The second method looks much better.

knuckles644
12-28-2003, 09:16 PM
I followed that tutorial but when I twist the shape, it spins and winds up at its original location. Only the original shape is being twisted, not the extruded parts...

riki
12-28-2003, 09:25 PM
Center the object and twist in one of the orthoganal viewports looking down the object. Also make sure the Action Centre Mode is set to Pivot.

knuckles644
12-28-2003, 09:25 PM
n/m I julienned the rope and now it works

mjroddy
12-29-2003, 01:11 AM
Well, I'm such a newbie, I didn't understand everything above, but I did get the results that I was looking for.
I used wingwalker's method and smooth shifted the ends to meet in the middle. It's not photo-real, but it works for me.
Thanks mates! -mjr

meshmaster
12-29-2003, 08:33 AM
it's an external program that creates 3d knots... you can export obj files from it using a command line... can't remember the line that you put in to export but do a search - it's in the forums here somewhere...

knuckles644
12-29-2003, 08:57 PM
Maybe NewTek could put in a knot primitive for us:p

riki
12-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Ask Lamont, he's building a new script to bring new Prims into LW.