PDA

View Full Version : "Paste and Select New" script?

jeric_synergy
04-30-2018, 08:23 AM
I know there's a "Paste and Be Selected" script, but what's its name?

That is: the newly pasted geometry is selected after the operation.

jeric_synergy
04-30-2018, 08:52 AM
Here it is, with the whole discussion.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?117885-copy-paste-select-pasted-move-tool-in-one-click

I'm not sure what the difference is between evenflcw's "Duplicate" and "PasteAsSelected", but I'm happy they exist.

MonroePoteet
04-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Isn't that the way Paste always works? I rely on that base functionality often: Copy something to the clipboard, move the existing geometry, Paste, and Pasted geometry is selected and nothing else. Clearly, I'm missing something...

mTp

jeric_synergy
04-30-2018, 02:08 PM
I've mucked w/it so much I'm not even sure. As that discussion shows, it did not use to.... Okay, fired up 2015.3 (only for you, Monroe) and it does NOT leave the pasted geometry Selected, only the original geometry remains Selected, IF it were selected. Or put another way: the native 2015.3 PASTE does not add to any selection, whether there be one or not.
For me, the NEW geometry (ie, the Pasted geometry) is usually what I'm wanting to affect, rather than the original, so evenflcw's replacement suits me better. YMMV.

At any rate, it was good to be reminded of the Paste Tool, which I often neglect.

++++++
PLUS:
Evenflcw's "DUPLICATE" works in a way similar to the EXTEND command in that you can use it without dropping your current tool. VERY fast placement and movement of duplicates! :thumbsup:

MonroePoteet
04-30-2018, 02:21 PM
Huh. Weird. I just brought up LW11.6.3, LW2015.3 and LW2018.0.3 Modeler and they all do as I described: I create a Box, set Polygon select mode, double-quote to Select all polygons, CTRL-C to copy it to the clipboard. Leaving the geometry selected, I move it around, away from its original location. CTRL-V (or Edit=>Paste) pastes in the original geometry and leaves it and only it selected. Repeat as many times as I want, same behavior each Paste. All three versions.

FYI, I hardly ever mess with the default menus and shortcut keys, so I tend to believe this is LW's default behavior and has been for a while.

As I said, weird!

mTp

jeric_synergy
04-30-2018, 02:24 PM
The difference is, you are leaving the geometry selected, and I think, selecting it ALL.

Make a CONE, select ONE side, and try your procedure.

But, if I'm wrong, as the thread above demonstrates, I'm not alone.

MonroePoteet
04-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Nope, works as I expect in all cases for me. I create a cone, select one side, CTRL-C to copy it to the clipboard, CTRL-V to paste, and the side I selected is pasted in and selected, repeat as needed. It is NOT the original geometry, since when I move it around, the original cone isn't distorted.

The same with a "slice" of a Ball or the whole Ball or any sub-geometry. LW11.6.3, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.3 all work the same for me. I tried to upload a video showing the behavior I see in LW2015 (as described), but the forum upload just hung up.

I tried the ef_PasteAsSelected.ls referenced in that thread, but as far as I can tell, it does exactly the same thing as the native Paste does for me. That thread originated as a request for a shorthand to Copy, Paste (as selected) and Move - all three with one LScript / keystroke since the original poster indicates they do that a lot.

Very weird!

mTp

Ztreem
04-30-2018, 05:45 PM
Huh. Weird. I just brought up LW11.6.3, LW2015.3 and LW2018.0.3 Modeler and they all do as I described: I create a Box, set Polygon select mode, double-quote to Select all polygons, CTRL-C to copy it to the clipboard. Leaving the geometry selected, I move it around, away from its original location. CTRL-V (or Edit=>Paste) pastes in the original geometry and leaves it and only it selected. Repeat as many times as I want, same behavior each Paste. All three versions.

FYI, I hardly ever mess with the default menus and shortcut keys, so I tend to believe this is LW's default behavior and has been for a while.

As I said, weird!

mTp

Works the same here in LW 2015. This is vanilla Lw as I almost never customize or add plugins.

MonroePoteet
05-01-2018, 07:41 AM
Here's the movie of the LW2015 behavior (uploaded almost instantly today!):

The second Paste in the video was CTRL-V, which simply invokes Edit=>Paste. Works exactly the same for me in the versions mentioned previously.

mTp

jeric_synergy
05-01-2018, 10:25 AM
What can I say? There were several confused users besides myself. --Are you on Mac?

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....l-in-one-click

Tim Parsons
05-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Here's the movie of the LW2015 behavior (uploaded almost instantly today!):

The second Paste in the video was CTRL-V, which simply invokes Edit=>Paste. Works exactly the same for me in the versions mentioned previously.

mTp

Yep - I think they added this in v10. The old way is still available AFAIK.