PDA

View Full Version : Node Editor in LWM "Numeric Array" tool

jeric_synergy
04-30-2018, 12:23 AM
How is it that nobody seems to be discussing the NODE EDITOR in the numeric panel of ARRAY in Modeler?

MonroePoteet
04-30-2018, 06:59 AM
Didn't know about it. Seems to work fine:

If you need a complex calculation to place the array-created duplicates of the original, it'd be invaluable. In this case, I just placed points along a sine curve.

The "procedural" is not saved with the LWO file. It is persistent in a Modeler session across invocations of Array, but if you exit Modeler and reload the object created in this manner, the Array Node Editor is empty.

mTp

jeric_synergy
04-30-2018, 09:44 AM
The "procedural" is not saved with the LWO file. It is persistent in a Modeler session across invocations of Array, but if you exit Modeler and reload the object created in this manner, the Array Node Editor is empty.
I note that it is possible to EXPORT big chunks (everything but INPUT and NODE EDITOR nodes, and their connections to the user created network), so a great deal of work could be saved and re-used...

But AGAIN, another half-thought out "feature". :grumpy:

MonroePoteet
04-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Yes, IMO one of the shortcomings of the Export / Import Nodes function is the lack of any attempt to re-hook up the imported network to the existing network. Hard for me to believe I wouldn't be possible to save a list of simple-text "connections" consisting Node and Channel names, then do a quick scan of the existing node network to see if they can hook it up - best effort only and all that, but still, it'd help. I've had to save a screen capture of one of my own exported network "external connections" so I could remember where it connected.

mTp

jeric_synergy
04-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Yes, IMO one of the shortcomings of the Export / Import Nodes function is the lack of any attempt to re-hook up the imported network to the existing network.
mTp
I don't know why the devs continue to create rather half-arsed implementations of things, when just a LITTLE thought would tell them "well, this is just nonsensical".

If they want to embed connection info in the networks in a hackish, ugly-but-works way, they can always use the node comment fields as an established place to stash such data. As it is, it's near worthless.

FWIW, as a "shop practice", users can put that info there too. But computers are SUPPOSED to make our lives easier. :grumpy:

ESPECIALLY useful for saving nodes would be those cases where ALL the nodes are exported simultaneously. IMO they should make a special case detector for that, and IN THAT CASE, save all the connections. --It's just stupid.

SBowie
04-30-2018, 02:53 PM
I don't know why the devs continue to create rather half-arsed implementations of things, when just a LITTLE thought would tell them "well, this is just nonsensical" ... It's just stupid.I am certain disparaging terms and calling them stupid really motivates them a LOT to take suggestions seriously. I know it would definitely move me to pay rapt attention! :D

MonroePoteet
04-30-2018, 04:04 PM
I am certain disparaging terms and calling them stupid really motivates them a LOT to take suggestions seriously. I know it would definitely move me to pay rapt attention! :D

Yes, I'd really rather not have my feedback degrade into an attack on the development group. It is a dissapointment, but may be MUCH harder to do than I'd think. I'm not qualified to judge.

mTp

jeric_synergy
04-30-2018, 04:20 PM
I am certain disparaging terms and calling them stupid really motivates them a LOT to take suggestions seriously. I know it would definitely move me to pay rapt attention! :D

More precisely, I said "It's just stupid". And they should know it. I don't know who is doing the alpha testing, but someone is not doing their job. LHF everywhere I look, and been that way for a decade.

SBowie
05-01-2018, 07:07 AM
More precisely, I said "It's just stupid".A distinction without a difference ...

I can say with some certainty that this kind of post is the reason at least some of the devs don't pay attention to the forums. Even if someone might have a valid point to make, few members of the human race will deign to listen if the suggestion is larded with condescension and abuse. I'm just offering a practical suggestion here. If you're happy to offer suggestions that are ignored but which allow you to feel superior, do carry on.

raymondtrace
05-01-2018, 09:14 AM
I am certain disparaging terms and calling them stupid ...

I'm not reading where "they" are being called stupid.

Another pronoun was used to refer to the lack of function (it), not to those that develop (they).

Hug it out. But yes, this topic would make a better feature request than a forum rant.

I hear many people saying that I'm a stable genius but I still do some half-arsed things and have given other things less than a little thought.

SBowie
05-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Sorry, not enough nuance there to make a meaningful difference. Even allowing for the distinction, calling their work "half-arsed" and their approach "stupid" amounts to the same thing, or close enough as to not matter.

To test this experimentally, try applying those adjectives to your boss, wife, or girlfriend's efforts, and see whether he/she appreciates the very fine semantic distinction you've drawn.

raymondtrace
05-02-2018, 10:03 AM
That is an excellent experiment. I asked both my wife and my girlfriend to look at this forum topic and neither perceived an attack toward the developers, who remain fully appreciated.

To return to the topic... I recommend the development of a button to save a screenshot of the node layout for future reference. This would be at least .51-arsed. Screenshots are a common way for many of us to share node setups in this forum. :D

jeric_synergy
05-02-2018, 10:17 AM
this would be at least .51-arsed.
LOL :santa: :lol: :beerchug:

SBowie
05-02-2018, 10:26 AM
That is an excellent experiment. I asked both my wife and my girlfriend to look at this forum topic and neither perceived an attack toward the developers, who remain fully appreciated.Yeah, generally if you don't follow the correct steps in an experiment, you'll get results like that. If you send me your wife's email address and that of your girlfriend, I'd be happy to put the question to them for you properly. :)