PDA

View Full Version : Using LATHE: interactive workflow?

jeric_synergy
04-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Can anyone suggest a workflow for interactively using LATHE? I created a disc with a wedge cut out of it, with some fancy edges, and now need to adjust the angle of the wedge opening.

So, I select the edge of the opening, to preseve the edges, deleted the rest, and planned to use LATHE to sweep the edge around the proper amount, however, I can't seem to find the magic procedure to get the axis to line up on the existing axis, and the procedure for interactively setting the axis seems very clumsy and , of course, lacking in any snapping ability.

erikals
04-28-2018, 02:20 PM
seems alright to me,
the only setting not interactive (for some reason) is the end angle.

clumsy and , of course, lacking in any snapping ability
could be better, not sure how other apps go about it...

gerry_g
04-28-2018, 02:38 PM
Not sure what you mean but – use align to plane to set your object on xyz, lathe it and restore plain to put it back where you want it, or if you are trying to match it to the rotation of a second objet align that to plane lathe your first object and with them both selected restore plane

jeric_synergy
04-28-2018, 04:42 PM
As an exercise: make a box, give it an arbitrary rotation, delete all but 1 side, and then try to lathe that remaining side around one of it's edges.

I've never been able to make heads or tails of the Lathe axis UI, it just seems random. I'd think that anyone coding such a thing would want to let users easily define the axis, like selecting two points, or giving the axis clear handles, but since it hasn't been touched since 1995, who the eff knows what Stuart was thinking?

That the dox use the simplest possible situations makes me cranky too. Well, "more".

OTOH, unlike erikals, I had no trouble using the start/end handles. Just the effing axis

Working with c4d has not been good for my attitude towards the many many LWM shortcomings-- it's laughably bad.

prometheus
04-28-2018, 05:13 PM
not sure it is of any use here, but middle mouse button and click and drag perhaps? do not click on the center pivot guide though.

ccclarke
04-29-2018, 10:25 AM
That's correct. After selecting the Lathe tool, use the LMB to drag in the direction of the axis.