PDA

View Full Version : LW 2018: first impressions from my personal production pipeline

Spinland
04-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Okay, so. I fully understand lots of folks have lots of opinions. That's more than cool, and from where you sit your opinions are always 100% right; that's how opinion works.

I just wrapped up a week of using LW2018.0.3 (did I get that right? The latest build) in production on my latest video gig. The task is a technical explainer for a military audience.

The bad: TFD didn't render by default but a little searching turned up a thread from Prometheus that explained what I needed to tweak. Now, for my purposes (a JDAM blowing up a bunker) it works a treat.

The good: out of the box, using mostly default render settings and the Liberty 3D cameras, my renders are looking great. Perhaps these settings aren't for some applications, and I get that, but for the style I favor (and which my clients come to me to get) it is visibly improved over 2015. I'm a huge fan of it-just-works and getting jobs out the door that still meet respectable quality standards, and LW2018 is working great in that context.

The ugly: they still haven't started including a year's supply of craft beer in each upgrade. This offends me. :devil:

Thanks, Newtek: you're the backbone of my business and in my particular case (which certainly has no bearing on anyone else's) you have never failed to make me look good to my clients. :beerchug:

Tim Parsons
04-30-2018, 12:27 PM
So all is good. I've used to for production and am very pleased as well. Some of the issues with it are present in 2015 and 11.5 (the new transform tools etc.) The rendering is great - could be faster.

Spinland
04-30-2018, 12:57 PM
So all is good. I've used to for production and am very pleased as well. Some of the issues with it are present in 2015 and 11.5 (the new transform tools etc.) The rendering is great - could be faster.

Yes. I'm encountering some speed issues, to be sure. To my thinking I'll mitigate those as I evolve into a relationship with the new version. As is, the quality upgrade without needing tweaks from defaults is more than worth the price of admission for someone with my professional workflow. :beerchug: