PDA

View Full Version : Moving solid objects with a morphing element?

Paul_Boland
04-26-2018, 05:58 PM
Hi Folks.

I'm learning morphs and liking them a lot. I'm definitely only taking my first steps right now so I have a quick question... I have a character whose mouth opens via a morph. This I can do fine. But I want solid teeth inside his mouth, on the upper and lower parts. The upper teeth are fine, but how do I attach the solid teeth to the lower morphing part of the mouth so when the mouth opens, the teeth move with it?

ernpchan
04-26-2018, 08:07 PM
You could put a morph on the teeth as well.

ccclarke
04-27-2018, 05:20 AM
When creating facial morphs, it's a worthwhile investment to buy a small mirror and "pose" the phonemes (main vowels) as you work. You can create a set of them (with sliders) to help with the visemes (the between facial poses) and use cyclist to add them to your animation., rather than copy and paste keyframes. It's also valuable to create eye, eyebrow, nose, and cheek standalone morphs to add together for complex facial expressions (joy, fear, laughter, surprise. etc.)

And yes, you want to create a morph that accounts for the jaw, lips, and teeth moving together.

Facial animation is one of the most difficult and tedious aspects of animation I've ever done. I have the utmost respect for animators who specialize in this!

A site that may offer some help: http://www.lostmarble.com/papagayo/

CCC

hypersuperduper
04-27-2018, 05:41 AM
Be aware that rotating elements in a morph won’t always provide good results. If your facial motions are limited (say to talking) this is probably not an issue. But if you plan on making large jaw rotations (yawning etc) you may need to combine bone animation for the jaw and morphs for the lips.

jeric_synergy
04-27-2018, 08:32 AM
Be aware that rotating elements in a morph won’t always provide good results.
Indeed. Noobs need to be reminded that all morphs are executed in straight lines, no matter that one used a rotation tool to place the points.

squarewulf
04-27-2018, 12:50 PM
Indeed. Noobs need to be reminded that all morphs are executed in straight lines, no matter that one used a rotation tool to place the points.

There is a way to interpolate a morph via spline as opposed to linearly, but i believe you can only do this nodally.

jeric_synergy
04-27-2018, 01:09 PM
There is a way to interpolate a morph via spline as opposed to linearly, but i believe you can only do this nodally.

Really? Where's the extra information coming from?? Possibly another morph map?

{I TRULY wish they hadn't used the terminology "map" so promiscuously throughout LW, it has caused me no end of confusion. It's really LISTS, often times. This would have made many concepts clearer to me, since, to me, the idea of a "partial map" is bollocks, while a "partial list" is perfectly understandable. This especially applies in morph-map operations.

If any confused noobies exist, listen up: a "morph map" is just a list of points. It doesn't have to be ALL the points. In fact, they're often most useful when they are NOT all the points. It's not the whole object. It can be ONE point (there's a use for this that escapes me right now.) }

Back to this subject: squarewulf, if a point is not to be translated linearly, and to represent an arc, the info detailing that must be coming from somewhere. Do you know where that might be? Tnx.

04-27-2018, 01:21 PM
Smartmorph was the only way I knew to do a morph on a spline.

How to do this nodally?
Robert

squarewulf
04-27-2018, 01:41 PM
if a point is not to be translated linearly, and to represent an arc, the info detailing that must be coming from somewhere. Do you know where that might be? Tnx.

How to do this nodally?
Robert

So i was mistaken, you can not use spline for morph maps but for MDD files. Duh. You would obviously need at least 3 points to interpolate, which morphs only have two.

jeric_synergy
04-27-2018, 05:17 PM
So i was mistaken, you can not use spline for morph maps but for MDD files. Duh. You would obviously need at least 3 points to interpolate, which morphs only have two.

So, you can modulate an MDD displacement using a spline? That's a new one on me: what's the workflow??

Interesting stuff.
+++++++++++
To the OP: RH's original nodal series showed how to attach objects to specific points, no matter how the points were displaced. Also, how to align an object along a vector between two points (like a holster). hunt those up and take a look. You'd probably want to make a simple, invisible dummy object that is part of the jaw and displaces with it to align the hard structure of the teeth to it, but just for simplicity, not for functionality --iow, so you don't have to sort thru hundreds of points.

squarewulf
04-27-2018, 05:50 PM
So, you can modulate an MDD displacement using a spline? That's a new one on me: what's the workflow??

DP Kit, MDD Pointer

Paul_Boland
04-29-2018, 01:49 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back here. Thanks for all the info, it gives me ideas on how to proceed. Interesting to hear about rotation, thanks for the heads up.