PDA

View Full Version : Streaming over 4G LTE on the Hudson River

MBond
04-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Hi,

I'm working on a live production that will take place from a boat on the Hudson River along Manhattan. I'm looking for the best option to connect to LTE internet that will be stable enough for me to send 1080 streams to both Periscope and Facebook. Has anyone had any luck using LTE modems? Can you use a USB modem with a TC1? I'm coming from Canada so I will need something that has a prepaid SIM with a high enough data limit.

I've been told that the service on the water is strong but I'm wondering if I need to go with a bonded system or not.

I'd love to hear any suggestions!

Thanks!

stp_productions
04-26-2018, 02:56 PM
I would highly recommend sending up one stream to a wowza server and then having that server re-broadcast to Periscope and Facebook. There are services out there for this type of rebroadcasting but this way you only need to get 1 video stream of 1080 out to the world instead of two. Also note that Facebook only supports 720p streams last time I checked, not sure about Periscope. If your modem worked with windows 10 out of the box without installing things that might work but I usually just use air cards plugged into a small router and use that to feed the Tricaster.

MBond
04-27-2018, 08:34 AM
Have you used wowza in the past? Is it reliable?

Also what air-card/modem combination would you recommend?

stp_productions
04-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Yes, I have used it for several years and it has worked well for me. I have a USB modem from T-Mobile as well as my cell phone with hotspot, don't have the exact model handy on the modem.

MBond
04-27-2018, 08:48 AM
Do you use the USB modem with a tricaster? Also is there a way I can get a prepaid SIM. None of the US carriers seem to have a modem option that isn't tied to a 2 year contract. Thanks for the help!

stp_productions
04-27-2018, 08:51 AM
I have it plugged into a router in my flypack and the tricaster into that. The tricaster just sees a normal router. I need the router to bring in NDI sources as I usually need more than 4 inputs the TC1 has in terms of SDI. I would check with T-Mobile but that may be the case I already had an account with them so it never came up.

Stream
04-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Look into Freedom Pop, they have Hotspots, but you would have to check if they have enough available data and bandwidth to stream a show.
Check their different plans or give them a call.

https://www.freedompop.com/

eisejm
04-28-2018, 03:06 PM
I've rented this unit before (http://www.tvunetworks.com/products/tvu-one/). It combines LTE networks (ATT, Verizon, Spring and T-Mobile) and outputs a single hard wire feed. If you reach out to them, make sure you ask for it to be "router mode enabled".

MBond
04-30-2018, 07:32 AM
I've rented this unit before (http://www.tvunetworks.com/products/tvu-one/). It combines LTE networks (ATT, Verizon, Spring and T-Mobile) and outputs a single hard wire feed. If you reach out to them, make sure you ask for it to be "router mode enabled".

When you rented did the unit come with with SIMS or did you have to provide those separately? Thanks!

eisejm
04-30-2018, 08:24 AM
They come with the cards in them. I believe you get 1GB included and then they charge per GB or something after that. If you do decide to rent a unit, I would recommend that you double up on the ATT and Verizon cards. They are typically stronger signals in NYC. 2x ATT, 2x Verizon, 1x Tmobile, 1x Sprint. Hope this helps!

vdmc
05-09-2018, 11:12 AM
I see that cell modems and hot spot devices (others used?) and LIveU are used what about mushroom network devices ( there isa 3G discussion thread mentioning this from years ago.)
How did the gig go and what was used to make the connection ? Post mortem if you can.
-Cheers!

dhodlick
05-09-2018, 11:52 AM
For what it is worth, ACS has done this a lot in the past year. We recently did a shoot from the Washington Mall @ the Lincoln Memorial - TC8k, 4 Panny HE-130's, loads of audio , and using a Teradek Bond II with 6 4g modems (2 ATT, 2 Verizon, 2 T-Mobile, 2 Sprint). Show went off without a hitch in HD.

Get a proven 4g bonding unit and a proven web-based distribution platform and have at it.